Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
18,335 Posts
Well they look good. But they are driving lights, it says so in the marketing part of that ad but they have it listed as a fog light. Not the same thing. Fog lights have a defined cut off at the top to keep the glare down. A driving light is for reaching WAY out and shine all around causing glare to oncoming drivers.

Fog lights should always be installed with a relay, triggered from a good switched source and powered straight from the battery. DO NOT power them using the 12 volt plug in the dash as it WILL fry your ignition switch in due time. You can use that power plug as a switched source for the relay but not for its power source.

In my Dec 2010 accident, I truly think that my two headlights caused glare, added to the intersections bright overhead lighting behind me and the 87 year old man was blinded. But he pulled out anyway. He said all he seen was halo's of bright light. That was me coming at him at 35 MPH 45 feet from the intersection.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
those look like generic halogen driving lights...

you can get a great set from Walmat for about $20.00... I have them on my car and have used them on bikes before with great success...

DIY - Driving Lights

for a bit more money than those ebay lights you can get a great set from Hella, would reommend the ff50

you may also wan to check on HID or LED driving lights, they will put out more lumens and consume 1/2 to 1/4 the juice.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
One of the questions you'll have to answer for yourself, and that you didn't give an indication of in your post, is what is your purpose for adding the lights? Is it to add light to the road so you can see better at night? Or is it to be seen by others?

If you're trying to see more of the road, a fog light won't put the light out far enough to be really useful. They are really made for driving in fog at low speeds, so the light is close in and to the sides. If you're trying to be seen and don't care about seeing the road better at night, then a fog light would be the answer. You don't care then if you're overdriving the lights and you do have a cut off to the light beam.

I went with LED driving lights because I wanted to see the road just past the low beam light pattern. As an added benefit, they show up extremely well to other drivers in the daytime to be used as conspicuity lights.

The LED lights like I have use 0.85 amps or 10W each. That's just a bit more than flipping your headlights from low to high beams. In other words, not much of a load to your electrical system allowing you to add other things like heated clothing still. Each LED driving light puts out 1500 lumens, or about the same as a H4 headlight. The company I bought them from does have brighter lights, but they are a flood light pattern, not a tight driving light.

Here's what I did with mine. Since they are "driving" lights and not fog lights, I wanted them mounted as high as I could get them to point downwards some and not into other driver's eyes.

Here's a review I wrote on the lights last year. viewtopic.php?f=47&t=53668

This picture below gives you an idea of how tightly focused the beam is.

I find them useful for night riding on the freeway. Adjusted properly, they'll light up your lane, and not the other lanes around you.

Chris

·
Administrator
18,335 Posts
Daboo said:
Chris, thats a huge POT-HOLE mud puddle, hope your lights keep you from riding into it. :D

·
Registered
3,973 Posts

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
MJR, they are similar, but not the same. They are more similar to the Model 44 or Model 60 from ADVMonster.com with 4 LEDs inside each light. What would make me shy away from the ones you found, is just that you have no idea what kind of light pattern they put out. The Model 30 is useful to me because of the tight beam. The Model 44 and 60 would be useless where I ride. They couldn't be used in any traffic at all. So at the website you linked to, what is the beam pattern like for the lights.

I'm not trying to get business for ADVMonster.com, but if you use the code "inmate" at checkout, you get 10% off.

And Dave...I don't have to worry about riding into the huge POT-HOLE mud puddle, because she is lighting it up for me. ;)

Chris

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Daboo said:
What would make me shy away from the ones you found, is just that you have no idea what kind of light pattern they put out.
They have videos showing the light pattern and I believe someone on the board (TechArt Guy?) has used them before.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Indeed, I have the aforementioned lights installed on mine, have a review on them as well -> viewtopic.php?f=24&t=53401&hilit=+1800

I have the fogs they sell too mounted below the driving lights with the same output which I'll write a review on those shortly. However they don't have a horizontal cutoff but are instead just a floodlight. But at night I turn either off when facing oncoming traffic anyway so i didn't mind not having the cutoff.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the responses. I'm just in the thinking stage as far as putting additional lighting on my 650. I don't think I want fog lights, since I've never had to ride in fog in the 12 years I've been riding.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Both have their use. Fog lights are good for seeing between the bike and low beams out to the sides of the road better than headlamps. Driving lights are good for seeing above you low beams and out kinda light high beams.

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-1600LM-CR ... 474wt_1032

I have these. Dimmable with about eight different levels - on low they are bright but not too bright - I use them as auxillary lighting in daylight. On full at night they give out a blinding light giving you very good visability.

I have them powered from my main beam (in place of the main beam headlight). This means they are switchable (on and off) from the light switch on the handlebar. The dimmer is a remote and is on the ignition key ring. Another feature I like is that when you switch them on they give a high intensity flash which usually gets the attention of the person / vehicle.

Cheers,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts