Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Any Toyota Prius Owners Here ?

701 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  JRoss 
#1 ·
Thinking about getting a Toyota Prius Liftback as a Burgman Tow Vehicle and a Camping Sleep Chamber. Looking for Hints & Tips or Don’t Do It’s .

#3 ·
I have 2

'08 type 2. (wife's working car) too small for me. Honest 45-50 mpg

'16 prius v type 2 much better for me. We did several 7,000 mile road trips in '17 and '18 hitting 36 national parks. Mileage was an honest 40 mpg full of camping gear.

They both have the same engine, so the '08 seems peppier as the v is a bit heavier.

The v would be better as it is bigger.

I have not towed anything with either.

More useful info here

#4 · (Edited)
I’m trying to save my Burgy from freeway miles. They say a Prius is a Rolling Generator and for a couple bucks a night you can have the A/C run and cool the car and the engine only kicks on maybe every other hour for ten minutes.

I’ll look for an aluminum M/C trailer to haul the Burgman and Serve as Mini Chuck Wagon.

#7 ·
I can understand the Prius being used as a generator thing. But part of the reason I bought El Burgo is to eat up highway miles to keep them off my Lexus LS 460L. The LS is one heckuva highway machine though. It is a complete cream puff. And it has the Mark Levinson (reference surround blah blah blah system) and I think it has about 94 speakers. Actually I think it has 19 speakers. It is paradise to listen to, perhaps the greatest thing about the car. But I'd like to keep that car for the next 100 years. So I'd rather slam interstate miles on El Burgo for now, at 47 mpg. The LS does about 26 or 27 mpg running back and forth to my dad's house so it's not horrible.

Because it is such a cream puff though, I want to put the miles on it s-l-o-w-l-y. El Burgo can slam 100k miles on it. Don't care. But I can certainly understand the generator use of the Prius with what you're looking to do. I was a design engineer with Toyota when they brought the Prius to the U.S. It is one fine vehicle, even the first generation. I drove one (1st Gen) to TMMC (in Cambridge ON, from Ann Arbor where I worked at TTC). I drove to Cambridge ON and back on one tank of gas. About 10 or 12 gallons. Interstate speeds, hand calculated 55 mpg. Very nice vehicle. I remember I did it on one tank of gas … because there was a gas station fairly close to our facility in Ann Arbor. Said gas station had a corporate credit card inside. All we had to do was show up with a "pool vehicle" and we charged our gas to the corporate card. Very easy, never had to fool with paperwork. But if we gassed up other places in a pool car, we had to work it through a PITA reimbursement system. So I wanted badly to only use the neighboring gas station to our facility in Ann Arbor. I remember sweating bullets and puckering the seat cover on the way back for the last 50 miles or so. But it made it, but had to be on vapor. That CVT on the original car works exactly how I expected a CVT to work. Annoying, but exactly as expected. Ahhhhh memories.

So, I wish you good look on your Prius research and possible purchase.

7milesout

#8 ·
Yes, the Lexus RX330/350 were in my radar but it’s a 100deg here in Texas so A/C was slapping me in the face as I was researching. The Prius gets about 50mpg and reported 40mpg towing two dirt bikes.

To be able to have an air conditioned wool rug, cotton sheet and feather pillow for a bed and all my electronics plugged in will be three stars....add in a Trump Tower White Robe and an Umbrella in my Salty Dog with my Trusty Burgman at the ready ....I be living LARGE all for les than $10k.

I just wish I had done it 10 years ago.

#9 ·
Sounds like a plan. Check to see if the Chevy Volt can do the same job. I don't know if it would be the same kind of generator, but maybe. As far as a road car goes, I hate to say it, but the Volt is a better concept than the Prius. I just don't know if it would serve you in the same way as the Prius.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.