Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.. I have a 2006 650 which was running great when I parked it a month ago.. It was in a storage barn and I took it out today.. While the engine started right up and runs fine, there was lots of CVT slipping going on in 1st gear.. What should I check.. It has 9300 easy miles on it currently, and the stopper bolt was replaced 2 years ago at 5500 miles.. Never had any other problems with it.. What items should I check?? I'm not bringing it in for a $3000-4000 overhaul so don't bother recommending that.. thanks..

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
First thing I would do is look to see if a mouse has crawled in through the cooling air exhaust and built a nest inside the CVT.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suspect there might be mice around the storage area.. How do I check this cooling air thing?? Where do I look?? I dont know much about the bike..

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
First thing I would do is look to see if a mouse has crawled in through the cooling air exhaust and built a nest inside the CVT.
Sadly that would be my guess. If you had an inspection camera you might be able to look in through the exhaust opening in through the rear wheel opening. Otherwise it sound like you'll have to pull the unit out and open her up.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Like MJR says look at the top back of the CVT in front of the rear wheel and you might be able to see signs of the nest through the exhaust vent. If you have access to an inspection camera that would give you a better look. There are some other places that you can get a look inside. You could pull the PPS out and look through the opening where it was or you could pull the CVT electric motor and do the same. Both are on the right front of the CVT and are only held in by a couple of bolts each. You just need to pull the right lower leg shield under the floorboard off to access them. You can also pull the CVT filter and look through the opening behind it although the view there is very limited.

If it looks like there is stuff up in there then getting it out could be a issue. Most effective way is to pull the CVT and split the case. The is doable by an individual but does take a bit of work.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
In that picture Max-T posted while I was typing, the PPS fits into square opening in front of his CVT filter arrow. The electric motor fits into the round opening above it.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
His arrow labeled air intake is actually the air exhaust. The intake is through the filter.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont have an inspection camera.. So does this mean the transmission has to come out of the bike?? A mouse basically totals my bike???

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
His arrow labeled air intake is actually the air exhaust. The intake is through the filter.
Yah that kinda made me chuckle a filter on the exhaust.

I dont have an inspection camera.. So does this mean the transmission has to come out of the bike?? A mouse basically totals my bike???
Yes it's possible just like rats can total a car by chewing on wiring or other stuff.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
No you can do some looking with just a flashlight through the opening where you can see in. All an inspection camera would do is allow you to look further up inside the CVT. If a mouse has invaded you will likely be able to see some signs of it just with the old mark one eyeball and a flashlight.

Looking at the picture Max-T posted, the air exhaust port goes across the top of the CVT and opens into the inside of the CVT housing by where the electric motor bolts in. If he built a nest it will probably be at that point. I've got a picture somewhere that shows what the inside looks like. I will try to find it and post it.

Your bike is not totaled provided you have a little mechanical ability or have a friend that does. It's not really all that complicated to pull the CVT and take it apart. If it is a mouse nest it's likely none of the insides are damaged and just cleaning it out will resolve the issue.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
OK these two pictures will show you how the exhaust vent runs. In this first one that is it running left to right across the top of the housing. In the second that is it running left to right across the top ending by the plastic gears. As you can tell you can see all the way across it to where it opens down into the CVT. If a mouse nest is there you can likely see it.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
If a nest is in there it is probably keeping the pulley halves from opening and closing like they should which would let the belt go loose and slip.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Found an acorn in there... removed it and took it for another ride... FI light is now on and it slips in every gear under hard acceleration... Now what??

·
Registered
3,973 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
sounds like its going to sell for parts... Whats the general value of this burgman with this type of problem???

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I just picked up one in Phoenix last month for $500 but it had internal CVT damage. Not sure what condition the rest of the bike is in but I think you said low miles. For me not more than $800 I'd think in great shape cause transport would cost a fair amount also.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I live in New Hampshire now but thats the price range I was thinking,..,.,., $500-$800.. too bad, bike is in excellent condition otherwise

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi OP, given you found an acorn in the CVT air exhaust etc, then it reads as though the scoot has had a squatter or two take up residence, and the resulting furnishings are binding the various mechanical surfaces from working in the desired manner. If you are mechanically inclined, before you sell it, search Youtube to see if there are videos of Burgy650 CVT's being removed/opened up so you can see what is involved, or else take a look at Le Dues Burgman Centre for any tutorials. I can't seem to open Le Dudes website at the minute despite me using a VPN here in mainland China (most things Goog.le get blocked here). You may find that removing the CVT is not as big of a deal as you might imagine. If you don't feel you have the ability nor the patience I'd seek out a fellow Burgy owner (maybe even a experienced mechanically minded member here), or else a Suzuki shop experienced in the Bugy650. Not sure if attempting to use a vacuum cleaner with a narrow flexi hose might remove likely debris inside that CVT.
It really does sound such a simple remedy for just a little time, effort or money than to sell because of it.

YMMV

1 - 20 of 28 Posts