Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here a Professional or Amateur Astronomer ?
Retired From Nasa ?
Knowledgeable of Celestial Navigation ?
Understanding of Earths Magnetic Poles ?
Following Elon Musk’s Space X ?
Understanding of Solar Activity ?
Meteorology and Weather Forecasting ?
Gardening by the Farmers Almanac?
Biblical Reference to the Heavens ?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Looks like a space mission recruitment.

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Looks like a space mission recruitment.
😂 Your hired MAJOR TOM Bolzen and Thanks for Breaking the Ice,

I find this site and it’s members to be the “creme de la creme” of working gray matter from all walks of life and ages. There was a guy that posted last week about working on his own Burgman with his own 82 year old hands ..... no matter what I post Dave_J is able to go to his storage and give me pictures of it sitting on his desk.

So this week I’m wondering about Elon Musk the CEO of Tesla Motors and his other company SpaceX . Building a car is an understandable feat building a factory to produce them is awe inspiring but to do it with Rockets at the same time I’m standing here in utter disbelief ...

So I thought I query the wisdom bank here and see if anybody has seen his satellite array in the evening sky or signed up to be a Beta User of his Internet Service ?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
My take, he is being funded from other sources. But at the same time believe he's doing right things, dragging the population into the new century. It's pretty fun to observe from a single example of the Roadster where he places all those big wigs of the auto industry that try to strip fortune from their customers selling 'em 200 year technology :D

On the other hand his team might be a little bit small to make a real breakthrough, e.g. overcome the current 'Schizodemic' or the like. Wish him all the best, nevertheless.

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Administrator
18,387 Posts
It all started in 1998.

They sold it to Ebay in 2002 who held it until 2015. It is now held by Ebay Shairholders.
PayPal.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I seen you replied I thought you were going to show me an Observatory in your back yard 🤣 Is X.com now SpaceX ?

·
Administrator
18,387 Posts
I live way outside the city lights. It is DARK out most nights. When I go out at night there are so many stars and planets. One that is the brightest and largest is Venus.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
SpaceX is a private company but it is still partly funded by NASA.

It started out with 100 mil from Elon Musk,
then 240 mil from NASA
20 mil from Founders Fund
490 mil from Iridium investment
etc

Crew Dragon started with something like 350 mil from NASA.

Since then NASA, Musk and outside investors have been putting money in + payments for trips

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
To the original question:
I‘m interested in cosmology from a physics point of view and the tech.

Two interesting recent discoveries.
ESA discovered a second focal point has opened up in the South Atlantic Anomaly of the earths magnetic field.

Our magnetic field moves around and has flipped many times in earths ancient history. It protects us by deflecting the suns radiation. Right now it is getting weaker and their is a big dip over South America called the South Atlantic Anomaly.
Satellites have to power down when they go through this dip and it caused problems for spacecraft, Hubble telescope and would set off solar flare warning satellites because of the extra radiation it allows through.
Now a second centre appears to be forming and the dip extends all the way across to South Africa.

The second discovery may rewrite some of our understanding.
A new type of object that might be a black neutron star got eaten by a black hole and we picked up the gravitational waves. The object is too big to be a neutron star and not heavy enough to be a black hole - it might also explain part of the “mass deficit”/dark matter in the cosmos.

The technique to find it measures ripples in our reality - which sounds bonkers but is fairky simple.
A laser is fired down a tunnel and split into two beams at 90 deg to each other. Each beam goes off down its own tunnel and bounces off mirrors and should always stay in step with the other (after the distances are made perfectly identical and ground vibration accounted for).
This runs for very long periods of time until the beams show a change - showing that a wave in space-time is distorting things. Detectors like this in US and Europe compare notes and get a general idea of where to look and confirmation of the causal event arrives at telescopes as light or radiation days, months, years later.

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bluebottle in your last paragraph are you speaking of “Project Cern” the particle accelerator?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I dabble in amateur astronomy. I have to trek to a dark site to observe so these days most of my observing is at a couple of star parties every year. Everything cancelled this year unfortunately.

Many years ago I went to a star party in Socorro NM. (Talk about dark skies... middle of the desert and low humidity...when the sun went below the horizon it was like turning off a light switch in a cave.) There was a guy there who built a scope with an 8" or 10" mirror that would collapse down and transport on the pillion of his motorcycle. Pretty impressive as you would normally need a decent size car or SUV to haul that. It was before I rode so I didn't really pay that much attention at the time.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Premise:
I'm a former electrotechnician which self-taught to a programmer, so take the word "interested" with the relevant flexibility. ;)

I'm interested in
astronautic
astrophysics
astronomy
general physics

in this order.

I'm following most of the ESA/NASA missions using my nightly free time on youtube and some other news sites, and i'm following some youtube channel that allows me to understand the concepts 'cause they able to explain AND they are understandable by me :D

My twitter account is "fine tuned" to notify me only about nasa/esa and some astronauts tweets.

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I knew If I shook the tree good fruit would fall .....Long Live BUSA and it’s extraordinary riders !

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Bluebottle in your last paragraph are you speaking of “Project Cern” the particle accelerator?
No, Cern looks at the very small, particle and quantum world by smashing tiny stuff together at high speed (and it’s circular).

The gravitational wave detectors are two straight vacuum tunnels

Two are in US, named “LIGO” (Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory)
one in Washington State and one on in Louisiana.

The European one is called “Virgo” and is in Tuscany, Italy. Started by French and Italians but now a european consortium (UK not involved).

Quantum stuff like CERN interests me too, our common sense and concepts of reality break down when looking at the very large or very small. It is difficult to comprehend so it keeps my brain busy enough to not get me into trouble.

·
Registered
540 Posts
our common sense and concepts of reality break down when looking at the very large or very small.
This happens also when looking at some people ;)

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Administrator
18,387 Posts
There is a good series on Amazon Fire about 6 members out in space at a refueling station. They are asleep when a shock wave hits them. What happened was CERN had made a "God Partical" and it blew up Earth in 25 seconds.

·
Administrator
18,387 Posts
Reactions: Parduz

·
Registered
540 Posts
There is a good series on Amazon Fire about 6 members out in space at a refueling station. They are asleep when a shock wave hits them. What happened was CERN had made a "God Partical" and it blew up Earth in 25 seconds.
LOL! This whole premise is SO WRONG!!! :D

But, i mean, we're so used to that. The Martian is a great movie with the exception of the beginning and the ending :D Gravity is just .... well .... wrong, not talking about Star Wars, Star Trek, Galactica, etc :)

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
The thing that the CERN Hadron Collider does happens above our heads hundreds of thousands of times a day - with even greater force.
So the destruction would already have happened

Cosmic rays hitting our atmosphere create the same collisions but we can’t study them because they happen at random times and locations - CERN just allows us to know when and where to turn the cameras on.

“Hadron” is a sub atomic particle made up of quarks, antiquarks and gluons.
When the collisions happen in the atmosphere lots of other particles are given off and thousands pass straight through you every day (muons).

however :)
There is a naturally occurring thing called quantum tunnelling when particles get around the energy barrier that makes them what they are - which some believe would allow collapse of the Higgs Field locally causing a chain reaction that collapses all existence into a different state.
(Higgs Field is kind of a fabric for existence and gives things their mass). This could come from anywhere and be the likely end of things as we know them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts