Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm about to write up my ride review of the Skywave 650 and wanted to know if there have been any recalls over the years? I poked around a bit in the archives but didn't find anything conclusive.

As always, thanks!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
No recalls in the USA. A "recall" being defined as the manufacturer contacting the customer, informing them of a problem, and asking them to bring in their machine for a fix.

There were a couple of "service bulletins" issued on the '03 AN650. This is Suzuki notifying the dealers of a potential problem and how to address it. This information usually doesn't get passed on to the customer unless you ask about a specific issue.

- Clutches were faulty on a certain serial number range of 2003 650s. Most were caught and repaired at the factory before they went out. A few more were repaired at the dealers before being sold. Very few reached consumers with the bad clutch.

- The "diesel noise at idle" was excessively loud on early '03 650s. Suzuki has a different name for this, something like "idle knock" - I don't recall exactly. A small part can be replaced to reduce (but not totally eliminate) this noise.

Further details on both can be found by doing a forum 'Search'.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pauljo! Just wonderin' how the new fangled technology is holding up and it seems just fine.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
pauljo said:
13,500 miles and still smiling! There are several others on the forum that have me beat for mileage too. :wink:
Now that winter's over I really must get more miles in! I'm way behind the curve here at only 9,000 something. And I started out so well, too.

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Brian,

I'm way behind you at 4k+ miles and I bought mine a month before you got your 650. :?

·
Registered
31,101 Posts
35,000 km on my '04 AN650 and it's exactly a year old. The winter sure cut down on my mieage average. Up till the first snow I had averaged 1000 km a week. Now the overall average is down to 700. It's gonna be real hard to get the average back up to 1000 but I'll try.<G>

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
billmeek said:
Brian,

I'm way behind you at 4k+ miles and I bought mine a month before you got your 650. :?
Running Border to Border and back in the third month really boosted my miles ridden, but it sat through most of the winter.

I'm going to do another long ride (or rather, I'm repeating most of the previous long ride) again this summer, so I'll get another boost.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Twinrider said:
Hi all, I'm about to write up my ride review of the Skywave 650 and wanted to know if there have been any recalls over the years? I poked around a bit in the archives but didn't find anything
You can check on Suzuki recalls here: http://www.suzukicycles.com/Recalls/

Unless something is really major, or unless someone (read: Government) is twisting their arms, they don't seem to issue recalls on much.

As Paul said, they want to handle things with Service Bulletins; but most service departments aren't very familiar with Burgmans in general, let alone keeping up with known problems. That's one of the biggest benefits of being a regular reader of these forums; we tend to hear about problems -- and solutions -- early.

I'm pretty knowledgable about riding, and the Big Burgmans, in general, but I'm no mechanic; I really appreciate reading what some of the experts and near experts here have to say on technical topics.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts