Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of getting a Givi E52 Top box for my Burgman to gain more lockable storage. Though I am hearing that there may be a penalty in fuel economy with one of these. Since I won't need the additional lockable storage all the time, I figured I would just remove it from the mount when not needed. How does this mount look without the topbox? Also, can you strap stuff to it if need be? Any photo's would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
SilverBurgie,

The mounting rack is very small, and flush with the back of the seat. It is not really large enough to be useful as a carrying rack for other items. Removing and installing the E52 on the rack is about a 5 second job - no big deal.

My own recent tests indicated that the E52 top box did not cause any significant mileage penalty (about 1/2 mile per gallon at most). It does however, knock about 7 mph off of top speed (I did 115 mph without, and 108 mph with).

I ran the tests because my mileage had dropped, and I didn't know if it was more due to the large windscreen I had added, or the Givi E52. It turned out to be almost 100% due to the windscreen.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Stormsteed,

Clearview XXL screen and Givi trunk was getting me 43-44 mpg.
Removed both.

Stock screen and no trunk = 51.9 mpg.
Stock screen and Givi trunk = 51.4 mpg. *

* I did three attempts at top speed on this tank (none on the prior tank that returned 51.9 mpg without the Givi trunk). So, the wide open throttle runs were probably the cause of the mileage drop, more so than the addition of the trunk.

I tried reaching back while riding to see where the wind was contacting the trunk (with the stock screen at about 70 mph). It seemed to be just brushing the sides. I think that at speeds over 100 mph the wind does collapse around more and hit a greater portion of the trunk, creating some drag - but I wasn't about to take a hand off of the handlebars to check...

Admittedly, there are some variables with this sort of testing. The gas pump may not shut off at exactly the same spot when filling the tank. Wind conditions can change between rides. There is other stuff too. But I did ride 150 - 160 miles each configuration. I did ride pretty much the same route. Wind conditions felt similar. And I even filled up at the same gas station and pump. So I think these numbers are fairly accurate.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You Pauljo,
If the difference is that negligable, I'll probably just leave the top box on. It makes a great place to secure the helmet leaving room for heavier items down low under the seat.
I read your tests and they (along with many of your other posts) are very informative.
I ordered a Clearview screen yesterday. I'm 5'9, I wanted to look through the screen and I may carry a passenger in the future. Based on that and other info, they recommended an XXL so I ordered it. According to your tests, that is where I'll pay the penalty in economy. Because the stock screen is so loud on my helmet (Shoei RF1000) and I don't like bugs, I'm willing to deal with additional fuel consumption. Kind of like running the AC in the car on a miserably hot day. It costs, but your willing to pay because of the comfort. As for the reduced top end speed, that shouldn't be a problem because I doubt that I'll see sustained speeds of 100+ MPG. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
SilverBurgie,

It would be interesting if you would run a mileage test before you install the XXL screen, and then again after. It would be interesting to see if you get similar results. Riding behind the Clearview XXL is very comfortable, but the trade off in lost performance and fuel economy was huge. I may have to go back to using it at some time, but for now I am trying to learn to live with the stock unit. The old design Clearview XL that I had was not as bad - I got 47 -48 mpg with it - and it was still pretty comfortable. I wish now that I hadn't sold it.

A quiet helmet is definitely key to riding with the stock screen. My older Shoei RF-800 is the quietest of the three helmets I own for that. The RF-1000 is a completely different design. Sad to say, it doesn't fit my head right. And Rider Magazine agrees with you that the RF-1000 is not as quiet as the previous models. I always liked Shoei's, but they have eliminated me as a customer now due to the new design.

Bugs. You'll still get them of course. You'll just be wiping them off of the Clearview instead of your faceshield. :cry: In truth, it is easier to wipe a faceshield that that big windscreen, but bugs won't hit your hands anymore, and you won't go cross-eyed when a big bugs splats right between your eyes on the helmet faceshield...

I don't carry anything in the trunk usually except for my regular glasses, sunglasses case, a hat that I wear when I get off the scooter and maybe my bug cleaning stuff - no real weight or bulk to any of that. I use it when I stop to stow my helmet, jacket, gloves, etc. - same plan that you have. The stuff that I want to have with me, but access less frequently, goes under the seat. I did miss the trunk when I was riding without it.

Enjoy your new accessories when you get them, and be sure to give us feedback on your satisfaction with them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pauljo,
I'll try to run a milage test before installing the new screen. I should have plenty of time to do it. I ordered the tinted screen and they said that they will have to produce it. So it will be several weeks before it arrives. Since I'm still practicing and learning this machine, my results may not be as consistant as yours. The RF1000 helmet is supposed to be a very quiet helmet. However, with the wrong angle of a windscreen, it makes it loud. It might be very quiet without windscreen but that would be very undesirable. I can say that the RF1000 is very comfortable and the ventilation on it is excellent. I like the fact I can "crack" the shield open to allow even more air in. Plus the silver is a real close match for my scooter! Overall I'm pleased with the Shoei. Unfortunately I couldn't find any RF900's to try out.
As I do mod's, I'll post them here and give a brief review. I've gotten a lot of help from this board and wouldn't mind returning the favor. After the windscreen, I'll do the Givi E52 top box. Though I'll have to wait a couple of paychecks to do it as I've spent a fair amount of money on this thing as is - having fun doing it but have to use moderation. Following that, I'm going to install XM satellite radio on the scoot. I'm still figuring out how to do it. Should be no problem as my previous job invovled engineering ways to integrate off the shelf stuff into military hardware. I'm still waiting to see how Jacvinsons sound system works out. When he sells them, I'll probably buy one and work the XM from there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts