Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we're doing a trip to Paris this week- and I'm suggesting renting a vespa 125 (that's all they got) and going to Versailles then on to Giverny from Paris. The forcast is 70 degrees and sunny only 5% chance of precipitation that day. The one way trip is 89km.

I figured this could be a wonderful way to see the countryside rather than a van tour- but the downside is having to arrange for a tour of Giverny with a guide in advance as I guess you can't do it when you arrive on the grounds.

Any thoughts?

We also hope to do a scooter tour of the highlights of Paris- so we don't have to scoot out to Giverny- but it just sounded fun to me.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Re: Any Parisians on the board? Anyone tour Paris on a scoo

We have just had three weeks in Paris but unfortunately no scooting. There were lots of Burgmans in Paris but mostly 125s. However, I was surprised to see quite a few 650s as well. Most of them had skirts fitted but I guess that is not surprising for cold and rain protection. Our weather during the first three weeks of July (including Bastille Day) was not as good as it is now and it was coolish and showery on many days. I believe summer has now finally arrived in Paris!

I thought about hiring a scooter in Paris but the Metro is just so easy I wonder if it is worth the stress to get through the traffic in the centre of Paris. We stayed in the Marais district and walked to many of the attractions like Notre Dame and The Louvre.

We went to Versailles for the day and once again the Metro made it so easy and cheap to get there and back. We did not go to Giverny so I cant comment on that.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Any Parisians on the board? Anyone tour Paris on a scoo

Bruce- you got back just when we headed out there!

We wound up doing a scooter tour the day we arrived- I HIGHLY recommend LEFT BANK SCOOTERS. I wanted to have a guided tour and follow the guide with my wife on the back of my scoot. Not a problem. I rented a 125 Vespa and we had 2 guides for the price of one. (One was in training)

The morning we arrived in paris- we took a nap and then met them outside our apartment at 2pm for our afternoon scoot. What a way to be introduced to the city! We covered many of the typical sights and not having to navigate and just follow and jet around town was a complete blast. We stopped at each sight along the way and they would provide colorful facts about the areas. They offer just straight rentals as well (Vespa 50cc and 125 only I believe) and they also have GPS units to rent and even routes to Versailles and guided tours there (but only 1.5 hours to tour the premises- not nearly long enough IMHO).

ANOTHER rental company near Notre Dame is FREESCOOT - they have bigger displacement bikes (no tour- and you pick up and drop off at their shop not delivery service like Left Bank) so we rented an MP3 overnight so we could start early AM to head to Versailles. Downside was NO GPS. Their rates are great for big bikes- and they include riding gear for free if you ask for it- 3/4 length fall touring jackets and gloves in addition to helmets which was much needed as it was very cold the next morning out to Versailles- but the lack of a mounted GPS really made things difficult- their local streets are not nearly as clearly marked as I'm used to - and their autoroute has few opportunities to get off and turn around should you miss an exit- I found myself 20minutes in the wrong direction with nowhere to get off the fwy!

LOVED the chance to try a vespa and an MP3 in the same trip in a new country, and next time I plan to drive in any new country - despite my efforts w/ maps and reading up the night before- I'm insisting on bringing a dedicated GPS.

To your point- these are just fun experiences- the Metro and excellent other means of public transportation in Paris really makes even the idea of owning a vehicle in paris not necessary... but the fact you can park a scoot almost anywhere sure makes them awfully convenient and just a whole lotta fun- given you know where you're going. :roll:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts