Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon!

Any of these oils acceptable to run in the 08 burgman 400?

1. 7.1 4T oil sport sae 10w-40 Malossi

2. Liqui Moly sae 5w-40 fully synthetic motor oil. Synthoil premium?

08 burgman 400 22,800 miles

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
8,032 Posts
both can be used to rub into the black plastics to make them shiney again

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Yes on the Burgman 400 with its DRY clutch these are OK. That Malossi 7.1 is JASO MB, NOT JASO MA so I'd say not to run it in a Burgman 650 with its wet clutch.

2 oils.jpg

JASO MA VS MB.jpg

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Registered
56 Posts
I posted the following on another thread just the other day:
I go to any chain store and buy the least expensive semi- or full synthetic oil. NON-energy conserving for my wet clutch bikes and and anything for the Burgman. I have been known to gather all the half bottles of m/c oil I have accumulated, mix 'em up and do an oil change with that. Gasp! Never had a lube problem on anything from a ZZR1200 to a Valkyrie Interstate to a vintage Honda 900 and many more. I rarely even keep much track of how many miles the oil has, just change it when it looks black in the sight window. Listen to the $20+ per quart purists howl now.

·
Registered
101 Posts
That’s nothing.
I run cheap ($12 for 5 quarts) conventional automotive oil in my wet clutch bikes, and have never had a lube, or clutch problem on my bikes. Now that, gets people howling. 😉

·
Registered
56 Posts
Oh, yeah? When I was in the gas station business in the 70's I took all the oil from my 3000 mi oil change customers, put it in a 30 gal drum to settle and used it in all my personal vehicles and my towing and plow trucks too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Dam straight..... My wife says I'm cheap, I prefer thrifty. I have been known to squeeze a US nickel 'til the buffalo pees. Why does a Canadian carry a US nickel? Why to do the nickel trick on his Honda Valkyrie. Look it up.

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
That’s nothing.
I run cheap ($12 for 5 quarts) conventional automotive oil in my wet clutch bikes, and have never had a lube, or clutch problem on my bikes. Now that, gets people howling. 😉
Not howling but if someone takes your recommendation as fact and then has issues, then you are basically wrong for giving out bad advice. Why do that?

Just be happy you have not had any issues. Carry on doing as you do. It hurts none of us if YOU do.

But please stop saying its OK. Too many other wet clutch bike riders have failed following such advice.

Its like running a Car Tire on my motorcycle/scooter. It works very well for me and I have not had any issues. But I will not EVER recommend anyone do it. I have talk a few out of doing it.

Reactions: FLDan and Rusty J

·
Registered
163 Posts
I was going to post some smarty remark, but I'm not clever enough.

I found some notes in an excel spreadsheet (that has proven to be quite handy) where I used Shell Rotella T6 in the Burgman. It wasn't so expensive and is available at Walmart. But while my Burgman was on sabbatical, I used Rotella T4 in my Honda Rebel. I'm not sure, but I think Rotella T4 would be OK in the Burgman as well. In my opinion, any top brand oil is going to provide more protection, thus life, to the engine than I'm ever going to need. And the T4 is good for wet clutches and less expensive. I would used tree sap if it were OK for wet clutches...

7milesout

·
Registered
101 Posts
Please show me where I recommend someone to use what I use?
I simply state what I use. I don’t know why that bothers you so much?

Like you stated, it’s no different than running a car tire on your bike which the manufacturer doesn’t advise. Are you not allowed to say on this forum that you run those tires ?

On the oil, I could play devils advocate and point out a lot more clutch problems in the motorcycle world where the owners were running specified oils, than those running car oils, but that would just be a play on statistics 😉

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Here's a thread with some good fact-based info if you've got some time to kill.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
As far as 10w40 or 20w50, follow O.M. recommendations.
Burger 400 engine is just a small car-type engine. NO wet clutch worries.
I think that changing oil more often than book says, and keeping it FULL, is more important than which brand you use. Any oil will do its job for 1500 or 2000 miles.
Only 1.5 qts go into Burger, it's cheap insurance to change earlier than book says.

Reactions: FLDan
1 - 13 of 13 Posts