Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished up the MSF BRC today. Got a 100% on the written, and lost 3 points on the range for stopping the bike in 13 feet instead of 12 or 11 or whatever I was suppose to stop it in. No biggy. They really want me to become an instructor now as I have "Mad riding skillz" as he put it. :)

Any thoughts or comments from current/previous instructors (or anyone else?) about this? I'm sort of considering it right now.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Rob,

With the backlog in course admissions that MSF seems to be having in many areas, I think they need every good instructor they can get.

Go for it. The right attitude will do a lot to make up for lack of experience until you get a few classes under your belt - I wouldn't worry about it. And you'll be saving some lives - you may never hear about it, but I think that is one thing you can count on.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Off hand, there are 2 that I know of :

Jeff (aka apopj) is a current instruction but I don't see many posts from him.
Don (aka DonRich90) is a retired instructor but is on the forum frequently.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
If you really think you'd like to teach, go for it. I taught for the PA Program at the Harley plant in York from 1988 thru 1996 and enjoyed every minute of it. I'd still be teaching if I didn't get too old (and fat) to chase 12 motorcycles around a blacktop range on hot August days.
Rob, it is a lot of work and long hours for not a lot of pay. However, I met a lot of great people (and a few I'd rather not remember) and made some lasting frienships. In spite of the hard work involved and frustrations with some students and the buracracy, I looked forward to every class and even hated to see most of them end. I still have ex-students recognize me and come up to say "Hi, Don!" and start talking about their classes.
I felt it was a good way to pay back motorcycling for all of the pleasure I've gotten from the sport. If you decide to do it and do it for the right reasons, you'll never regret it. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
:wink: Thought I heard my name mentioned over cyberspace... yep, I really enjoy teaching the MSF course here in Ohio. Been at it two years and really think it is beneficial. Can't count the number of people who have expressed their delight in the course and how much they learned. Take it from a guy who started in the early 60's riding, it is much easier to learn the right way to ride at the start then to fall off a couple of times and learn the hard way. I was so green, when I started riding, I couldn't understand why it would go from a slipping clutch to sounding like the motor was going to blow.... took a Motor Cop (maybe that's why I was one for 15 yrs) to tell me I was shifting backwards. I started in third and would shift to second.....
Try the instructor course. If you don't like it, nothing lost. But, and I am sure you will, when you start teaching, think of all the good you'll be doing.... Take care, Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts