Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a burgman 400 and I am interested in doing some type of modification to give it more low end power. Pulling onto major highways with a passenger can be a little scary sometimes. I 've floored it from a stand still and the RPM gauge will not seem to rev above 5500 to 6000 RPM until it hits 40 to 50 then the RPM gauge continues to climb. I know this is only a single cylinder single overhead cam.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Welcome to the forum, hope to see you posting often.

I have the '04 400 as well and just got a Malossi Multivar 2000 Variator that should increase the quickness (0-60) of it but not the actual torque of the bike. I have not installed it yet. Maybe I'm mistaken or splitting hairs, but I think the Malossi will help in what you're looking for. I know of no other mod for increasing the speed with which the bike will reach 60-70 mph. I have wondered if these bikes have rev limiters that can be modified or replaced, but I think not.

All the best.

Peace.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much does the Malossi Multivar 2000 Variator go for and where can I purchase it from. Also I know when you do mods to any engine the mod can put undo stress on other parts of the bike and cause undo wear. Any comments.

·
Registered
428 Posts
siemens24 said:
How much does the Malossi Multivar 2000 Variator go for and where can I purchase it from. Also I know when you do mods to any engine the mod can put undo stress on other parts of the bike and cause undo wear. Any comments.
How much? Well I paid 190 for a new one on ebay, but it turns out that had I done some basic research I could've saved 30 :cry: . If you call Chris, the US importer of Malossi in NYC @212+242-6969 and tell him where you live, he will give you choices up the bazooty. One of those in L.A. sells them for 150+tax+shipping (Beverly Hills Ducati @ 310+360-0916).

Added stress on the engine? A bit I suppose, minimal, nothing to be concerned about, IMO. It will, however, void your warranty as it applies to the drivetrain at the very least.

Have Fun.

Peace.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Siemens Welcome to the forum. :hello2:

Bleeder is right, the malossi will not deliver more torque than the engine is currently capable of but it will change the way it is delivered to the back wheel and make for more sporty performance.

If you search this forum for malossi you will find lots of info and sammy has also just documented his installation experience in the gallery.

As to price, best you google for that. You also need to consider if you are going to fit it yourself - you can judge that by looking at Sammys pics.

I hear what you say about performance mods putting more stress on components - I say this - the Malossi is not creating any extra energy just transferring engine power to the back wheel to a differing performance profile, at worst you are talking a loss of economy and a bit of life out of the belt - but ultimately it depends on how you ride. There are many Burger owners who have done this mod in Europe without problem.

In Sum, it is the only performance mod worth doing on the Burger.

·
Registered
466 Posts
NormB,

Hey Norm, when you twist the throttle all the way open, what rpm does it stabilize when rolling? On the stocker I see about 5800 with the throttle WFO and about 5000 rpm with about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle.

Thanx
Russ

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Russ

Pop one of these (Model No:806-102-0222) in the post and I will render a full report. :wink:

You see - no tacho on Ye Olde Burgman -

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Bleeder said:
How much? Well I paid 190 for a new one on ebay, but it turns out that had I done some basic research I could've saved 30 :cry: . [snipping has occured]
Added stress on the engine? A bit I suppose, minimal, nothing to be concerned about, IMO. It will, however, void your warranty as it applies to the drivetrain at the very least.

Have Fun.
Peace.
Yeah I hate that with ebay there you are getting ready to swoop on a real bargain and save yourself a wadge of dosh and then some bugger bids at retail +! :wink: :lol: :lol:

If they found out! If you do your own install then you can always re-install the old bits, it always quicker to carry out these evolutions second time around - apparently! :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
NormanB said:
Bleeder said:
How much? Well I paid 190 for a new one on ebay, but it turns out that had I done some basic research I could've saved 30 :cry: . [snipping has occured]

Have Fun.
Peace.
Yeah I hate that with ebay there you are getting ready to swoop on a real bargain and save yourself a wadge of dosh and then some bugger bids at retail +! :wink: :lol: :lol:

If they found out! If you do your own install then you can always re-install the old bits, it always quicker to carry out these evolutions second time around - apparently! :)
Actually, there I was, trolling ebay when I randomly came across the Malossi auction with a mere 20 seconds left before closing when I noticed my dear friend Ted had grossly overbid for this item. Instinctively, and without regard for my own personal or financial well being, I dashed into the burning building as it were and saved his skinny old sorry arse.

Peace.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Bleeder said:
Actually, there I was, trolling ebay when I randomly came across the Malossi auction with a mere 20 seconds left before closing when I noticed my dear friend Ted had grossly overbid for this item. Instinctively, and without regard for my own personal or financial well being, I dashed into the burning building as it were and saved his skinny old sorry arse.
Peace.
Now that is funny - I'm cryin and a shakin' here and my giggle muscles are hurtin! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Russ Schaeffer said:
Dang it Norm, you got one of those early ones. Is it injected? How about somebody else with the malossi?

Thanx
Russ
1. Nope it is a carburettor.
2. sammy - as of yesterday.
3. Bleeder - by Monday - (with a fair wind maybe!)

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
NormanB, what really happened on Ebay is that I was gonna get the Malossi cheap, and then some smart arse youngster from Kalifornia jumped in on me. So I figured I'd just run the price up on him, and buy one of the $150 ones from a legit dealer. Besides, he got a Leo Vince from me at half price so he needed to spend some money somewhere.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hey Bleeder

Whats happening in your neck of the woods?

Have I missed something?

Have you fitted the malossi and leoVince?

Curious to hear/read.

:)

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Norman, I think Bleeder is still crying over paying too much for it. Hey Bleeder....I'll give you $150 shipping included!! :lol: :lol: :p

·
Registered
428 Posts
LOL!!!
Howdy Ted and Norms. No, the bits are still in my shop waiting to be fitted. We were in Cote d'Azur, Florence, and Corfu for a while, then I've just been busy.

Peace.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Yeah Bleeder, I know what it means to be busy: I've mowed the yard twice in the last 3 weeks, changed oil on the vehicles, met with my scooter riding buddies once each week for breakfast and a ride, visited a couple of cycle shops. Its a bitch trying to get all this in. Hardly any time left to play. Oh, forgot....a nap about every day after lunch with a dog or two and several cats. Shoot, I even stood in line for an hour to vote.
Corfu, Italy,......don't want to hear about your tough life! :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts