Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, you guessed it, more snow in Central Ohio, so back to the guitar lessons. I bought another guitar today. A hollow Electric. That gives me 4 guitars, one accoustic, one electric accoustic, one stratacaster and the new hollow electric. :shock:

I need sunshine so I can think about accessories for the burgman instead!

Anyone else play guitar, if so what do you play, (Brand-etc.)

Kelly

·
Registered
969 Posts
Isn't it funny what winter does to us? I'm trying to learn to speak Castillian (Spanish). Anything to make the time go by. :roll: Oh - and you really can't teach an old dog new tricks. :?

Steve

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Used to play flute. I have a new one I never really played much. Spent more time tinkering around with pennywhistles (tin whistles) than any other instrument lately. I do also have a Fender wideneck accoustic guitar that I've had for 24 years and never learned to play. :? Are we about to start a band called, "The Burgmans"? :)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
.......played the fool for a while, in fact I am quite accomplished. :wink:

·
Registered
97 Posts
I can't play a thing. Stopped in at the local fiddle playing contest one time
and the only seat left was next to an older codger. He asked me if I had
played yet, I said no, how about you. He said yes he has. I asked him
how long he's been playing, he said for 15 years (he started lessons
when he retired at 65). And remember ol' Col.Sanders started his chicken
business when he was 69.

Kind of puts things in proper perspective. Guess all my old excuses
are useless at my ripe old age of 58.

·
Registered
822 Posts
wasions said:
Isn't it funny what winter does to us? I'm trying to learn to speak Castillian (Spanish). Anything to make the time go by. :roll: Oh - and you really can't teach an old dog new tricks. :?

Steve
I started to learn Castillian too - but then work got in the way and I had to stop 11 lessons into it (out of 90). Work is a 4-letter word.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I play the shoe horn but all I can play on it is foot notes. :wink:
But seriously folks - I re-took up the guitar last winter and took lessons for 5 months. Just into chording and such. This winter I never got back into it and my guitar sits in it's case all by itself. It is a Patrick & Luther made out of Quebec. One piece solid cedar top. Really nice guitar - shame it has a busy owner. I also dabble in harmonica.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have 2 giutars. One is a blonde Fender Telecaster squire. And the other is a Fender squire, looks like a smoother Strat. without a pick guard. Been playing around on them for about 14 years now, never took a lesson, just used the internet. Lots of good sites on the net.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I played the accordian when I was a kid. (yes, they were popular centuries ago - I even played in an accordian band :oops:). Lost interest when I discovered cars and girls.
The only musical talent in my family is a nephew who plays just about any stringed instrument, writes and records music with Tom T. Hall and tours with Buddy Jewell, the country singer. Makes me think I should have stuck with my accordian. :lol:
Don

·
Registered
848 Posts
Yup.
At the moment I've got a Fender Standard Strat with Bill Lawrence pick ups, Callaham tremolo block mod, locking tuners in Blue Agave. I also have a well beat Seagull 6 that has been through the mill, cedar top. I used to play it a lot but I felt out of love with the neck and the cedar top (too dark sounding) I'm setting my sights on a Taylor, perhaps a big baby. I goof around on my Casio WK 3500 keyboard. I'm not a keyboard player but I can make some decent grooves to jam with.
Recently I picked up a Xaphoon which is kind of a cross between a sax and a recorder. I just always wanted to play a reed instrument and now, I don't know why. Really it's pretty cool but it is loud and the folks above don't appreciate my newbie ways with it. I've got to wait till the winter weather is gone and practice beside the ocean somewhere. Check it out at http://www.xaphoon.com I've got the plastic one not the beautiful handmade bamboo job.
I play my Strat strictly through a Korg Pandora PX-4 and headphones due to the folks above me as I mentioned before. I record either into a Korg PXR-4 or Garage Band on my Mac. There is a huge difference in effects between the two Korg units hence using one to record into the other. I'm a crappy player but I sure have fun. Still haven't got the 'guitar face' down yet when I really squeeze those notes.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
billmeek said:
Used to play flute. I have a new one I never really played much. Spent more time tinkering around with pennywhistles (tin whistles) than any other instrument lately. I do also have a Fender wideneck accoustic guitar that I've had for 24 years and never learned to play. :? Are we about to start a band called, "The Burgmans"? :)
The flute, Bill! I love the flute, always have. When I listen to someone like Paul Horn or Tim Wiesberg it just takes me away to another world.
I'd like to learn how to play. Are they expensive? I'm sure they are quite difficult from a technical aspect.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
You can get student flutes pretty cheap. Some pro flutes run up into the thousands of dollars. Check with the local music shop and schools band director. You can often run across some good deals on used ones. Playing a flute is not that difficult. The trick is learning to position your mouth correctly and to blow a steady stream across the hole to create a tone. One thing a flute does require is a set of GOOD lungs. Unlike most wind instruments, over 80 percent of the air is wasted. If you decide you want one, let me know. I'd trade/sell mine for new toys for the Burgman. :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Uke can too

Hi Folks,

In the 1920s ukuleles were the rage around the world. Not bad considering it was only about 3 decades before, that the Portuguese introduced the Braghina to the Hawaiians. From that instrument, the Kanakas built ukuleles and the rest is history. There's an ukulele rennaisance going on now, led by the Japanese, but also growing in western Canada. I took it up 2.5 years ago when I moved back to Hawaii after a 40 year absence. Had my Dad's old uke and just had to do it justice.

Best thing about the uke is that the smaller version fits in the seat compartment of the Burger. Some days, I just go to the lighthouse off Diamond Head and sit and watch the surf and ships go by while I practice. It's not to complicated since there are only 4 strings, but the sounds are surprisingly very sophisticated when played by a well coached aficionado.

I am buying a sidecar from Texas Sidecar Co to carry my uke and guitarron. The guitarron is a big Mariachi Band 6-string bass guitar that is held like a regular guitar. It puts out a very nice bass line and adapts to Hawaiian music quite well. I think it could be used in country western and most any other music of european origin.

If we ever have a hoe-down for Burger owners, I'll come with my uke.

Meanwhile, y'all come see us over here, the southern most part of the USA.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Re: Uke can too

Chickenman said:
Best thing about the uke is that the smaller version fits in the seat compartment of the Burger.
You are so lucky to be able to play an instrument that you can take with you on the Burger! Me: well, a piano would be ideal but you can't even take that in a car! I have synthesizers/keyboards and the smallest one I have - a Roland AX1 - is one that straps around the neck like a guitar but that won't even fit :(

·
Registered
848 Posts
One of the reasons I bought my Xaphoon was for portability. I like Bill's idea of tin whistles as well. I will think about a flute, but not before I get a scoot!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts