Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the complaint comments that I've read are on the Burger 650. I'm thinking of buying a Burger 400. Your observations would be appreciated! Thanks, Bob Dorsett

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Bob,

My 2 biggest complaints are the same as many riders have on the 650 : windshield and seat. The windshield is a couple of inches too short and causes head buffeting. The seat is also designed for shorter riders and needs to go back a few extra inches. The only complaint that I have that does not apply to the 650 model is very slow speed driving. Maintaining speed under 15 or so and the 400 feels like the tranny is 'grinding'.

·
Super Moderator
18,084 Posts
Maybe most of us are just getting old and becoming too fussy and spoiled.

I have owned a 400 and traded for a 650.

2-up touring at higher speed the 400 is a bit small (power wise).
Solo riding at higher speed is fine or 2-up at slower speed <60 mph.

The ride is not as smooth as a 650 but still good.

My complaints on the 650 can also apply to the 400 (again spoiled) RE Windshield, Legroom, Ride.

I used to ride a honda 305 back in 1970, what a piece of *rap by todays standards, but at the time it was fine. Had it for 2 years and rode the hell out of it.

May last bike Suzuki 1974ish. GT 750 was great, by comparison,
the Burgmans are better than that.

Remember the tires are smaller than a standard motorcycle so the ride and tire milage will be less, but the ride is still good.

We seem to want some of the features of a Goldwing without paying $20,000.00 for it, and it's only human nature to try and get it.

Bottom line, No Regrets on either machine. We are only trying to make a good machine even better.

Jim

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Jim,

I basically agree with what you expressed. I just wanted to add though, that I have been able to make improvements in all those categories on my 650. Not "Gold Wing" level improvements, but enough to keep me happy with the machine. And eventually, I'll make it even better.

The thing to remember too is that you can buy a new 650, an aftermarket exhaust, a different windscreen, a better helmet, better shocks, a better seat, get the oil changed in the front forks - even add a music/communication system if you like - and still have much less than $10,000 invested. Less than half the price of a Gold Wing. And I think that the upgraded scoot is more than half as good as a Goldwing. So I feel it makes perfect sense to buy one and experiment with enhancements. And I get the added bonus of a sense of satisfaction when I try a modification and it works!

·
Super Moderator
18,084 Posts
pauljo,
I agree, there is always satisfaction for me when I can make something better. (kind of like life)
Buying the best in anything, kind of eliminates the goal.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
have never seen a bike that could not be "improved" or met a rider that was happy with the stock bike.
Part of ownership is customizing and it's different for each of us.
As for me I have my 400 set up close to the way I want it
the problem is I keep running out of excuses to go for a ride :(

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Randy said:
the problem is I keep running out of excuses to go for a ride
One excuse that is always a good reason to ride:

"I own a Burgman."

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I do have one small gripe
it annoys me to have a thousand dollar lawn tractor with a better seat and a bigger gas tank then my scooter.
Come on Suziki-Wake Up
I just don't think that's right :(

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Randy said:
I do have one small gripe
it annoys me to have a thousand dollar lawn tractor with a better seat and a bigger gas tank then my scooter.
Yeah ... but the tractor still doesn't have the range of the Burgman nor is it anywhere near as much fun. Now if you could just get a mowing deck for the Burgman... :roll:

·
Registered
250 Posts
My main issue is that the seat is VERY firm, and my butt gets sore riding for anything more than an hour or so. I'm putting together custom padded seat covers for it right now, which should take care of that. I'm 5'11', with a 32'' inseam, and my 400 is just about the perfect size for me, windscreen and all. I'd like one extra inch back on the butt stop, but that's being REALLY picky. I love my 400.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My main problem is not with the bike, but with those people who sell and maintain the Burgmans. There lack of knowledge can be amasing.

Like the sale guy who wanted to check the oil on the 400 while it was on the side stand. Or the mechanic who told me that removing the driver butt rest from the 400 is at least an hour job.

I just hope that these guys, and others like them, get their act together real soon.

·
Super Moderator
18,084 Posts
hrdillender said:
My main issue is that the seat is VERY firm, and my butt gets sore riding for anything more than an hour or so. I'm putting together custom padded seat covers for it right now, which should take care of that. I'm 5'11', with a 32'' inseam, and my 400 is just about the perfect size for me, windscreen and all. I'd like one extra inch back on the butt stop, but that's being REALLY picky. I love my 400.
If you haven't seen it, here is a start. This should get you that 1".

http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/Jims-Gallery/album20/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Alexr wrote:
"My main problem is not with the bike, but with those people who sell and maintain the Burgmans. There lack of knowledge can be amasing.

Like the sale guy who wanted to check the oil on the 400 while it was on the side stand. Or the mechanic who told me that removing the driver butt rest from the 400 is at least an hour job.

I just hope that these guys, and others like them, get their act together real soon."

I work in a dealer with 4 different lines of machines as a salesman. We have Honda, Suzy, Kawy, and Yamaha. At times, it gets to be a bit much. But, Salesmen are supposed to be product knowledgable. Checking the oil on the sidestand isn't the end of the world, either. At least he checked it! And, most shops charge a 1 hour minimum for service work, so maybe he didn't mean it would take an hour, but rather that is what he'd have to charge you.
Me? I took the Burgman out in the parking lot and grabbed the owners manual out of the title jacket in the office and went over that sucker until I knew about everything I needed to know about to sell it and send it safely home with someone. But invariably, some guy will have read something on the internet written by someone he has never met and takes it as the gospel. Like the 400 with adjustable windscreen and manual shifting. :roll:
Nice avatar pic, btw!

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Being the easy going type, anything the bike needs like a seat or windshield I try not to grip about . If I really have to have it I will get it, After all there are some people who like the stock seat & shield.
But the one Item I want and can not get is a bigger gas tank !
Suzuki knows we will use these scooters for touring and still put in small tanks... :(

·
Registered
346 Posts
billmeek said:
The windshield is a couple of inches too short and causes head buffeting. The seat is also designed for shorter riders and needs to go back a few extra inches.
That's very individual. It's the other way for me - I found that the seat just barely goes forward far enough for me, and the stock windscreen was too tall. I think the Burger is designed perfectly for a good range that starts about an inch or two taller than I am.

I do wish there were a bigger gas tank.

And I don't mind valve adjusts, but...

GSX-R 600 - Redline, 16K. 114 brake horse. Valve adjusts at 15K.
AN400 - 9K. 30some brake horse. Valve adjusts at 3.5K.

Now, I know I should be counting my blessings on the former rather than beeyotching about the latter, but this still gives me a couple of head scratches.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have no complaints about the wind screen (I've got the short one) nor the seat, which is comfortable for me even after several hours.

I do agree though that I wish the gas tank was a bit bigger so that I could go a bit further between fill ups.

Also, I can't seem to get the mirrors adjusted correctly so that I can see what's behind me without bending my head way over to the side.

The best thing I love about it? The looks :).

·
Registered
806 Posts
About the seat complaints. I took the backrest off of my 400 and the seat went from "YUCK" to "WOW!" Before the driver's backrest removal, the seat would push me forward and I, at 5'11", felt crowded. Now, I have the stretch out room and my butt stays put.

I said that my wife's Scarabeo was the most comfortable bike I ever rode. Now, the Burgman 400, with backrest removed, a Beadrider seat pad, and a Laminer Lip, gets the nod.

"This is my Burgman 400. There are many like it, but this one is mine..."

:)

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
billmeek said:
Randy said:
the problem is I keep running out of excuses to go for a ride
One excuse that is always a good reason to ride:

"I own a Burgman."
I like the way you think.
:)

Rusty J
Blue AN650K5
Daily Driver/Commuter/Tourer/Canyon-carver/Two-wheeled Car/Etc./Etc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have no real complaints either.Im very happy with my 400.Smooth and fast.Sometime next year I will upgrade to the 650(When I can find some cash).

·
Registered
11 Posts
seat is uncomfortable on400

hrdillender said:

Buy one of those portable jell seats. They work good. Also in the summer I bought a bead seat for my goldwing and made a world of difference. eliminates monkey butt

1 - 20 of 43 Posts