Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has turned cold here in Nashville, TN and I would like to know if anyone had any problems with their charging system using a Gerbing Heated jacket liner on a 2007 Burgman 650. I had used the liner on my previous Honda Valk Interstate , but had added a volt meter to it so I would know when to turn the power to the vest off , which was manly in slow moving traffic. I have not added a volt meter to the Burgman 650 and was wondering if it can handle the power draw form the jacket liner without running the battery down as it really looks like "fun" to have to jump start the battery .

Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
704 Posts
I have been running the heated jacket liner, pants liner, gloves, and insoles (all Gerbing) on my 650 with no problems yet. Sure is nice to ride in blissful comfort when the air around me is in the low thirty's. The only thing I don't like is the yellow ********* light lit on my panel while driving to work in the dark after it rained earlier in the nite.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Riding in the summer with temperatures 110+ my cloths & bike are super heated. Never had a charging problem. :laughing5:

·
Registered
48 Posts
This morning I got the ********* light too and was wondering why I need a dash light to tell me it's cold. It's obvious:)

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've been riding my 06 Burgman since new with heated jacket, gloves,pants& boot liners without a problem. The only problem I did have is when I installed the AM/FM/CD player. The small draw for the radio memory is enough to kill the 12 amp hr battery if you don't ride every day. I solved this by installing another 12 amp hr. battery just for the radio memory. P.S. I also have heated grips. Mark

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the 650 all wired up and ready for the Widder heated suit. Finished final welding on the hitch today and will install it tomorrow if work permits.
Supposed to be in the mid 30's in the am.
I will mothball the 400 this weekend and start using the 650 for my daily driver.
Common sense tells me to sell the 400 but it is a blast to ride.
Decisions. Decisions.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for everyone's input ! I have a ride coming up this Saturday morning and knowing that I can use the jacket liner is going to be a real blessing.

Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
630 Posts
I run Tourmaster heated gloves and vest. No issues so far. Using a portable compressor to pump up my front tire twice (I had just remounted it) just about killed it. Definitely need boot liners--last week's trip was great but I needed to stop every few hours to warm the toes up.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The snow flake is there to remind you of the possibility of ice on the road.
Yes I get that but my point was the bike already has an ambient air temp readout which would tell me it's cold enough for ice.

Why not replace the ********* with something more useful like a battery voltage monitor so I would know if I'm pulling to many amps with heated gear.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I have always said it is stupid to give us an RPM meter that I feel I don't need. But they never give us a volt or even an AMP meter.:mad:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been riding my 06 Burgman since new with heated jacket, gloves,pants& boot liners without a problem. The only problem I did have is when I installed the AM/FM/CD player. The small draw for the radio memory is enough to kill the 12 amp hr battery if you don't ride every day. I solved this by installing another 12 amp hr. battery just for the radio memory. P.S. I also have heated grips. Mark

This is good info. So to be clear, you run heated jacket, gloves, pants boot liners AND grips all at the same time and they are all on the same battery (or pulling from the alternator/generator) when you are riding? I am debating if I want to add heated grips to my 2013 650 (I run jacket liner, gloves and socks).

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Oh yes, you DO want them. In Virginia, you probably won't need anything more than a jacket liner and gloves on the Burgman, since the design of the bike keeps you mostly out of the wind. I've been comfortable all day long with just those two in temps down to the upper 20s.

Get a balaclava and/or a full-face helmet too; when it gets really cold, it's your face which suffers the most.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oh yes, you DO want them. In Virginia, you probably won't need anything more than a jacket liner and gloves on the Burgman, since the design of the bike keeps you mostly out of the wind. I've been comfortable all day long with just those two in temps down to the upper 20s.

Get a balaclava and/or a full-face helmet too; when it gets really cold, it's your face which suffers the most.
Yeah, I have been using TourMaster Synergy jacket liner and gloves. Occasionally I'll use a pair of FirstGear socks. Pretty much always wear a Balaclava (have a Klim that my wide got me). Last year I started using a Schampa helmet skirt -- this helps a lot.

The Synery gear is ok... when it works. They seem to use pretty cheap wiring because I am constantly replacing sections of wire and plugs/connectors. That gets old. So I'm at the point where I'm ready to replace all of my heated gear (at least the jacket liner and gloves). I'm pretty sure I'll go with Gerbing this time. If the bike puts out enough amps, I'd probably spring for heated grips as well.

My commute is 38 miles each way, so even with the wind/weather protection the Burgman provides (and my Majesty before I got this bike), it gets a bit chilly for me during the winter here.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I run a heated wast coat and grips the scoot charges with everything on
even on tick over, been doing it for 3 and a half years and over 15,000 miles no problems.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I use a heated jacket liner and gloves. I offset the current draw of these items somewhat by switching my lights out to led's.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I run Tourmaster Synergy and now Synergy2 Gloves, Jacket, Pants and heated grips.
My voltage stays around 14v unless I am idling with my brakes on. Then my voltage drops t0 13.4v-12.8v. As soon as I rev up to go, voltage is back back to 14.0v-14.4v.

PS. The Synergy stuff did not seem to work as well nor hold up as well as the Synergy2 does. Also, the Synergy2 thermostat is head and shoulders above the Synergy ones.

Kim

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi,

The only way you will really know if your charging system is keeping up is to monitor it. Otherwise you are guessing. Based on advice from this forum plus enthusiastic comments from my riding buddies I installed the Kuryakyn LED voltage meter. It is simple and takes very little room.

http://www.amazon.com/Kuryakyn-4218-Black-L-E-D-Battery/dp/B000GU5WNO

The unit is less than 2" wide and adhesive backed so I just stuck mine to the fake wood removable portion of the dash immediately below the instrument cluster. It should be wired to a switched circuit so that it goes away when power is off.

When running normally I see 2 green LEDs. When I turn up the heated cloths it will drop to one green LED at slow speeds. If I stop with the ignition key ON, I can watch the battery slowly drop as it drains to service the load.

So yeah, a good way to keep an eye on the demands of your electrical system and how it responds. There may be better solutions but this one seems to work real well and at $30 its a no-brainer.

Pete

1 - 20 of 23 Posts