Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would love to organize a group ride into and around our nation's capital.
Response if interest.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Welcome bacshaw,

I'd be interested, never having been there before, but I'd need plenty of advance warning so I could make the trip from Louisville to D.C. to meet up with the group.

Again, welcome to ICOBO!

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi bacshaw

Welcome to the forum :hello2:

I am sure you will get some takers for this - sadly you will have to count me out!

Now lets hear a little bit about your self and your Burgman.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm outta commission for a while due to a little surgury, but any Sunday in the fall, I'm in. Ellicott City is just north of DC, we could meet at a central place.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New to the forum....new to riding. Brought my first bike on July 1, 2005. It was the Yamaha Majesty 400. Slick, and fast for a 400. The only problem - I'm 6'2, 215 pounds. My knees hit the dash with every bump. Took my first ride to Laural, MD from Woodbridge, VA (about 100 miles round trip) and substain many bumps and bruises from hitting the dash. After putting on over 100 miles in one day, I returned the bike the next day. To my surprise Powersports was willing to take the bike back in exchange for the larger Burgman 650 (with a little additional cash of course). I went home that same day with a brand new silver 2005 Burgman 650 and have since put on 1200 miles. Loving it!!! The vehicle is slick, smooth, and fast. It offers the easy handling of a small bike, but with the power of a large bike. I can keep up with the "big boyz" on Interstate 95 with ease (not to mention I can now ride in the HOV lane thus cutting 20 minutes off my commute time to work). Definitely one of the best investments I've made. Hope Suzuki will produce a bigger Burgman one day. But until that time, I'm perfectly content with my Burggie 650.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Well, I'm in Rockville, MD right now but my Burgman is several thousand miles away :(.

Off topic: Do you of any good shops in the area to buy motorcycle gear? Or a bungee net?

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Stargazer said:
Well, I'm in Rockville, MD right now but my Burgman is several thousand miles away :(.

Off topic: Do you of any good shops in the area to buy motorcycle gear? Or a bungee net?
You might try Battley Cycles in Rockville - http://www.battley.com or Bob's BMW near Columbia and Jessup - http://www.bobsbmw.com/

Don

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Bacshaw I am glad you got sorted with a bike that fits you. Without any wishing to smartarse here - but it is the numero uno question when people ask which Burgman 400 or 650 - do you fit a 400. The value of a test ride is valuable too - although I acknowledge these can be quite difficult to arrange.

Anyway - look forward to hearing more of you and yer new Lardy! :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Andy and thanks for the message. I would love to organize a group ride in the area. I will stay in touch as things become more organized.

Looking forward to a good afternoon of riding with fellow Burgman owners.

BAC

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi, folks. I'm in Gaithersburg, MD. Purchased my 650 on 6/11. 3,100 fun miles to date. Would like to know local WDC Burg owners as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Larry. I live in Woodbriedge, but commute to Suitland, Md. everyday (usually on my Burgie if the weather is permitting). I have a 650 silver Burgie with 1700 miles on it (I brought in on July 1, 2005). So far I have 3 Burgman riders in the area who also are interested in riding together. I will keep you informed when things become more organized.

Happy and safe riding! 8)

BAC

·
Registered
34 Posts
One more rider in DC area.

I live in Alexandria, VA.
(Kingstowne near Springfield, but area is called Alexandria...)

I used to commute through 395 HOV lane with my previous Intruder 800, but right now as I am doing the break-in, I am taking local to commute to my office in Rosslyn, VA.

As soon as my new Burg400 hits 600 miles and finish 600 maintenance, I will go back to my usual HOV commuting route!

bacshaw, what time do you pass the Springfield area on HOV lane in the morning?

Well, since Larry knows WV and Front royal area well, I would like to know Larry's most recommended or favorie route to ride!

Thanks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hope I didn't say I knew these areas well!!! Really don't!

I mainly ride in the Montgomery, Howard and Washington Counties MD, and Jefferson, Morgan and Berkeley WV

I sometimes make the ride from Martinsburg WV (Rounte 81) or Berkeley Springs WV (Route 522) down to Winchester VA. 522 is a really pretty ride - mostly 4 lane rural superslab over rolling foothills.

Winchester to Front Royal is (I think) only ~15 more miles. I also sometimes ride to Leesburg over the Whites Ferry across the Potomac.

Rarely a DC tour or a trip down the Parkway to Mount Vernon.

FYI...There are a number of Burgman 400 and 650 owners from VA on the Yahoo Groups (Suzuki_Burgman or Burgman650AN).

I'm a 53 year old who just enjoys his new scoot!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Kei. I usually pass through Springfield around 6:50 am, then again during the evening rush hour at about 5:15 pm. Smooth sailing everytime in the HOV. That makes riding my Burgie that much more fun!
Perhaps one day we can get our Washington DC area riders together for a group ride in and around the district. I've been trying to arrange this for September 11 (Sunday) but so far don't really have enough riders. :roll:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Bacshaw,

You're about an hour ahead of me in the mornings! I usually get onto 395 in Springfield at around 8:00am. The 35 minute commute was one of the main reasons I bought the Burgman.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My routine on 395 HOV

Hi Bacshaw and Vvgibson,

Mine is pretty close to the time frame of Avgibson as I normally get into 95 HOV lane from Fairfaix Pkwy exit around 8:00 am heading toward DC, and I guess I saw you riding on the Burgman several times passing me by before. (And wondering what kind of motorcyle/scooter was...)

I rode Intruder 800 red with black saddlebag, and always waving to the left lane biker passing me by since I normally drove it on 65 - 70 mph or so.

Right now, I am taking local during the break-in period, so I will be back to the HOV in 2 weeks or so, and might see you again!
Do you both have Burg 600 or 400?

Mine is 400 silver 2005.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks larrycainjr

Thanks larrycainjr for your tips on trip routes.

I will give it a try on one of them you mentioned!

Looking forward to heading toward Front Royal area in two weeks or so after the 600 mile break-in finished. (300 more miles to go...)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Kei. I have a 2005 Silver 650. By the way, Mary V. responded that she would be game for a DC ride on Setember 11. I would organize a group ride if I can get a few more takers. So far I have only 2 definites and 1 maybe (Larry?). Interested?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts