Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Any Bajaj Chetak owners here?

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  mgreenfield 
#1 ·
I picked up a used Bajaj Chetak over the weekend. Just curious if there are any other owners on this list.

So far it seems like a great little scoot but, after shifting in rush hour traffic, it makes you really appreciate the Twist n Go! LOL

#2 ·
I own a 2004 Bajaj Chetak I picked up new last August, Misty Jade green in color. For the most part it is my primary commuting and around town scooter. Solid, agile, fantastic fuel economy, and really big fun. After a bit the shifting became second nature, so it doesn't bother me.

Anyway, have about 1,000 miles on the Chetak now, probably will average 1,500 a season the way I'm going. By comparison, my AN650 averages about 6,000 miles a year.

#3 ·
Adam

Shifting into 1st seems a bit hard. I really have to twist my hand quite a bit and after a short while my wrist gets sore. Any hints ? Is there a way to adjust it so first isn't such a twist ?

#4 ·
When you say it is "such a twist" and "a bit hard" to get the Chetak into first gear*, do you mean there is physical resistance to overcome or do you mean the distance of the twist itself?

If it is the latter, I don't think there is anything you could do about the actual distance the grip has to rotate to change gears.

If it is the former, it could be that the clutch cable needs tightening. I found with my Chetak that during the initial 300 mile break-in period it required greater force to get into first gear as the miles rolled on. My dealer performed the break-in maintenance, including tightening the clutch cable which had stretched. As soon as that was done, shifting into first became smooth again. Now some 700 miles later, it is just getting a bit tougher again, so it is time to tighten the cable again.

Of course, it could be something different, but this is what I have experienced.

*For those unfamiliar, the Bajaj Chetak, like many manual transmission steel-body scooters, has the gear shifter as part of the left grip. To change gears you actually twist the grip while applying the clutch.

#5 ·
No, I mean the physical twist itself, not the force needed to do it.

I find that, to twist into first, I need to depress the clutch with my hand right where the palm meets the fingers, then twist forward. That makes it awkward to smoothly release the clutch. I must admit, even after a few days I'm getting better at it and it doesn't seem such a bother. Guess it's just one of those things you need to get used to doing.

Thanks for the info.

Scoot Safe

#6 ·
Bajaj

JerseyBiker said:
Adam

Shifting into 1st seems a bit hard. I really have to twist my hand quite a bit and after a short while my wrist gets sore. Any hints ? Is there a way to adjust it so first isn't such a twist ?
I have the Bajaj Legend 2002. The only basic differance in the two models are a retangle headlight on the Legend and the location of the choke. The reason I think your having a hard time getting it into first is that if you hold the clutch in while in neutral the plates in the tranny stop spinning and if you will let out on the clutch in neutral and then squeese the clutch lever and at the same time put it into first that lets those plates spin so that they can engage. I now have over 5,000 miles on mine.

help this helps.

#7 ·
Thanks for the response but no, the "problem" isn't getting the gears to mesh or anything like that, it's that downward twist that puts pressure on my wrist.

I'm learning to deal with it. It's not really a problem, just a bit unconfortable if I have to shift into first a lot.

#8 ·
Re: Bajaj

swstiles said:
...The reason I think your having a hard time getting it into first is that if you hold the clutch in while in neutral the plates in the tranny stop spinning and if you will let out on the clutch in neutral and then squeeze the clutch lever and at the same time put it into first that lets those plates spin so that they can engage...
Good point. Even thought that wasn't Doc's issue, it is something important to remember with the manual scooters like the Bajaj.

A trick I use is to down shift to first just before stopping keeping the clutch in, then after coming to a full stop shifting back to neutral and releasing the clutch. This has everything lined up so when the light turns green it is a quick shift into first and off you go.

#9 ·
I'm thinking of adding a Chetak to the "stable". What's a reasonable maximum cruise speed, and what's a top speed for that machine??

An alternate would be the Stella. Again, what speeds are realistic.

Any "quirks" to these machines I should know about??? I'm familiar with shifting a motorcycle. Ya' gotta love that ugly spare tire on the back of the Chetak!!

Thanx!

#10 ·
If I recall correctly, about 40-45 for crusing. Top spped about 50. If your life depended on going 52 mph, you might want to start praying! LOL

Mine turned out to need constant TLC to keep running and the shifting got old fast so, I sold it.

I do love the look of them. The Honda Metro and Yammy Vino come close but just don't have that same look.

Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.