Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure how it happened, since I didn't leave any food in the bike, but my 650 has an ant infestation. Gah.

I've left bait/poison traps but the package says "expect to see far fewer ants in a few days". DAYS. *sigh*

Spraying insecticide into the bike doesn't seem all that wise, since I'll be stowing my helmet in the poison-saturated cargo bay when I'm done.

I briefly considered taking a page from an entomology class I took last year and using plastic tarps, sandbags, duct tape, and a pint of ethyl acetate to turn the whole bike into a large killing jar. Advantage: it would work, and not leave toxic residue on the bike. Drawback: a fair chance of dissolving the bike down to just its frame... and a puddle of toxic residue that used to be the rest of it. Bummer.

So it's bait and wait.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I had not heard of ants in a vehicle before but heard or seen many other critters. I nearly got stung to death by wasps when I opened a hood once. And a cutter bee once clogged up a carb on a trimmer. Hope your bait traps work. I would not have the patience!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I worked at a chevy dealership in the late 90s washing cars for delivery. One time I opened the hood of a Cavalier to give the engine a quick hose down and there was a mouse right on top of the valve cover. It saw me and bolted. When I looked around a bit I did find a nest. That was the strangest thing I ever found in a new car.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had not heard of ants in a vehicle before but heard or seen many other critters. I nearly got stung to death by wasps when I opened a hood once. And a cutter bee once clogged up a carb on a trimmer. Hope your bait traps work. I would not have the patience!
Thanks! I have a "backup" bike so it's not as bad as it could be...
Had to deal with periodic wasp nests in my relic campervan back when I was in Utah. Definitely kept my distance when using the wasp spray!

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I had a frog jump under the Tupperware and got roasted on the engine. I had ants galore lining up for frog leg dinner. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
857 Posts
If they are out in the open inside the storage compartment use a shopvac or vacuum to get rid of them. Beats using chemicals.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Rusty J, Here is what I do with anything that crawls. 90 percent grape jam and 10 percent Boric Acid. Warm up a table spoon or so of the Jam and eyeball 10 percent (volume) of the acid and mix well. If I were to use it in the trunk I would remove everything, put some of the 10 pct solution on a paper plate (cut down) and use double sided tape to keep it in place while you ride. They eat it, travel to nest, feed it to the kiddies, die and are then eaten themselves by they're in-laws who then die too. Guaranteed to work every time. Last time I had ants in the house, they numbered in the hundreds in no time. After putting out the plate and a day later there was a marked reduction. Day two, just a single line. Day three and it was hard to find even one ant. Try it.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hope your bait traps work. I would not have the patience!
In the end, I didn't either. Pulled the back half of the handlebar cover and the step-through maintenance cover, and carefully sprayed in those areas and into what openings I could get at, then mopped up the overspray. It seems to have worked. I'll let it sit overnight and then open it up to air it out tomorrow. I suspect the bait traps would have done it eventually though.

Rusty J, Here is what I do with anything that crawls. 90 percent grape jam and 10 percent Boric Acid.
I wouldn't be surprised if the bait stations are pretty much that. Had them on hand for a minor ant problem in the house but never used them out of concern for the risk to my pets. The house issue was addressed (almost entirely) by strictly avoiding leaving dirty dishes in the sink. I'll keep the home-brew version in mind if they come back.
Search for winter food stores for a mouse or chip monk. My 400 had a rather large stash of bird feed in the belt cover.
I had a frog jump under the Tupperware and got roasted on the engine. I had ants galore lining up for frog leg dinner. Good luck with yours.
That hadn't occurred to me; I'll take a look for that sort of thing in the morning.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a bike in Thailand that I use when we go there. They have the same ant problem. I use hot water with a orange citrus cleaner. Then I will spray the ground where I store it and have had no problems since.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like the bug spray did it.
A few showed up over the next day, then none.
My best guess is that they were mostly feeding on pollen that dropped onto the bike from the tree I park it under. Washing that off sent them back into the bike looking for food, thereby contacting the insecticide. The ones in the cargo bay, earlier, might have been drawn by the dust and residue of 10 years of use (nothing in there looked like ant food to me, but then I'm not an ant so what do I know?)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts