Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

antifreeze

7K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  motovila 
#1 ·
I am going to change my antifreeze and what I see in my owners manual tells me to use antifreeze that is compatible with an aluminum radiator.
It also says to use 50/50 (antifreeze & distilled water).
So my question is can I use the old green antifreeze since it says it is compatible with aluminum radiators?

#2 ·
I used a prestone premix on my 400 without any issues. As long as it says it's safe for aluminum radiators your good to go, just make sure you use the distilled water when you mix it if it's not premixed otherwise the minerals in regular tap water will corrode your radiator in short order.

#3 ·
Usually takes less than 1/2 gallon and you can just buy pre-mix.

#4 ·
When I said "So my question is can I use the old green antifreeze since it says it is compatible with aluminum radiators" I meant Old as in earlier years car antifreeze that was green.
Will this antifreeze hurt the scooter?
I'm asking this question because I still have several gallons of this older antifreeze and I thought I'd use what I can.
I am using the newer antifreeze in my cars/truck because they say you don't mix the old antifreeze with this newer antifreeze.
The owner's manual doesn't really say much more then use what is compatible with aluminum radiators.

#5 ·
toy said:
When I said "So my question is can I use the old green antifreeze since it says it is compatible with aluminum radiators" I meant Old as in earlier years car antifreeze that was green.
Will this antifreeze hurt the scooter?
I'm asking this question because I still have several gallons of this older antifreeze and I thought I'd use what I can.
I am using the newer antifreeze in my cars/truck because they say you don't mix the old antifreeze with this newer antifreeze.
The owner's manual doesn't really say much more then use what is compatible with aluminum radiators.
Do yourself a favor and go buy a gallon of Pre-Mix, the cost savings is not worth the doubt of using very old anti-freeze which you don't know the real condition of.

I follow a simple rule "When In Doubt Throw It Out".

#6 ·
In short to answer your question, yes you can use it. Hopefully it isn't so old its ingredients have separated leaving sediments at the bottom of the bottle. The main ingredient in all colors of antifreeze is basically the same, Ethylene Glycol (except for those odd Propylene Glycol ones sold as more environmentally friendly). What varies is the additive packs. Generally its better to have Phosphate and Silicate free coolant.

#8 ·
I have a 400 but I would think that the antifreeze used in the 650 has the same requirements.

My 2013 owner's manual says that if you use Suzuki's Super Long Life Coolant - which is a blue color - that you only have to change your coolant every four years.

If you use Suzuki’s Long Life Coolant - which is green - or any other coolant that you have to change your coolant every two years.

Seems to me it's worth the extra money for the Super Long Life Coolant to reduce the maintenance required.

There also must be an aftermarket equivalent for the Super Long Life Coolant.

#9 ·
Due to a pin hole in the radiator last week, I replaced my coolant with a 50/50% mix of Prestone "Works with all color" type. About $12 a gallon, Ill change it in 4 to 5 years. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.