Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Another Wrecked Isuzu Rodeo's Headrest Reborn as a Drivers Backrest on my Burgman

After reading the many posts about the repurposing of an Isuzu Rodeo headrest into a drivers backrest for the Burgman 650. I was intrigued. So, I made my own from a junked Isuzu Rodeo.

After trying to bend it unsuccessfully at first using hand tools, I took it to a metal fabrication shop. I showed them pictures of what I wanted. They started talking about cutting and welding, I asked them how much money are you talking about? They said, about $125.00. I said, How about just bending it evenly in a vise? The price dropped to $80 for a hour of labor. I thanked them for their time and left the shop. I didn't bother telling them my budget was $20 tops. I had driven to the metal shop without the butt bumper and I really liked the added legroom. That help me decide, I wanted legroom and a backrest.

On my ride home, I thought, if I had two holes drilled into some thick concrete, maybe I could bend it myself. I knew, I didn't want to drill into our patio, driveway or the concrete landscaping curbing. Walking around the outside of the house I noticed the three concrete slabs our A/C units sit on, they are 2" poured concrete not precast. Hmmmm I have an impact hammer drill and concrete drill bits.

So, while my wife was out shopping, I drilled two holes same depth in the A/C slab and with the help of a long steel breaker bar, I bent the headrest myself in about a hour total including drilling the concrete. It worked perfectly. I have tubes of structural bonding epoxy leftover from my days repairing leaky basements back in the Midwest, I'll use to fill in the holes.
I think it came out nice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Backrest

Good Job Doc. Looks good (and the price is right!):eek:

·
Registered
30 Posts
NICE job and great story!
I especially like how you filled in the holes you drilled in the concrete. I'm guessing you did that before your wife returned home. LOL

·
Registered
158 Posts
Sounds like an inexpensive way to make a backrest for your Burgman 650. How deep were the holes you drilled?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Looks great.

·
Registered
770 Posts
What did you use for extensions on the pins?

·
Registered
23 Posts
What year/s rodeo will match the one you used?

·
Administrator
18,736 Posts
What year/s rodeo will match the one you used?
Almost any year Rodeo or Honda Passport will work.

But if you do not want look for your own headrest and drill holes in your deck, just send $65 to Brad, a member on here named Bearcat.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Can reach Bearcat at [email protected] or send him PM on BUSA.

Many many BUSA member purchase from him.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like an inexpensive way to make a backrest for your Burgman 650. How deep were the holes you drilled?
It was under $20 for the stuff I didn't have including the headrest. Doing it myself gave me the opportunity to bend the pins for a custom fit. As I explained earlier, I had to disassemble it twice and add more bend for the amount of recline I liked.
As far as how deep the holes were that I drilled into the concrete, I couldn't tell you, I never measured the depth just eyeballed it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts