Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - here's another idea.

Instead of making it a royal pain to "correctly" check the oil (hold bike level, blah, blah, blah), how about if you set it so that when the bike is on the centerstand (thus not requiring a second person and risking injury to oneself and/or the bike) the full line is at the full level. Yes, there's a slight deviation between this and the "correct" method, but still, it would be nice if that simple engineering change was made.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
OK - here's another idea.

Instead of making it a royal pain to "correctly" check the oil (hold bike level, blah, blah, blah), how about if you set it so that when the bike is on the centerstand (thus not requiring a second person and risking injury to oneself and/or the bike) the full line is at the full level. Yes, there's a slight deviation between this and the "correct" method, but still, it would be nice if that simple engineering change was made.
I just keep it on the Center Stand Bruce, and fill it A Notch Pass the Full Line, Since the Instructions as you mentioned said's to be done the other way.

Elliott,

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've forgotten - which year model do you have? I have the one with the side window and it looks like if I fill it a touch below the line that it, according to Suzuki, is properly filled.

I started thinking about this because I went on a 100 plus mile ride last Saturday and when I came back, I had, for the first time, started using oil. I pulled the spark plug, looks good. From what I could tell from the coolant - no oil in there. No serious leaks. I'll pull the air filter when I get ready to fight with it (the K&N makes it a royal pain to pull/reinstall).

I'm wondering if, since it was over 100 miles at highway speed, that somehow the oil is getting squeezed out between the mating surfaces.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
07' I know what you mean about the Air Filter My Modified K&N i took it off a week ago and had a Hard time reinstalling it, took 30 Minutes, to put it back in, i discovered that the Mounting Bracket that hold the Airbox Broke, i had to rig something up.

now you said when the oil is inserted that the bike has to be leaned to the Left, Not a chance im gonna lean 500 600 lbs like that. So if the bike is leaned to the left The windows should show Under the Full line, filling it on the Center Stand One Notch over the Full Line would make it just right? I hope.

Elliott,

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just saying that the engineers didn't ask me for my suggestions before building this machine. I have a few more for them if they ever do:

1. Increased weight carrying capacity;
2. A slightly deeper and longer trunk (about 2" each way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As a Ford factory rep in the 80's we had a customer that would burn a qt of "oil" traveling to the beach periodically. If my memory is correct, the engineers figured out the crankcase moisture level elevated during short distance trips and when the customer took the rare long trip, that moisture/water/fuel burned off at an accelerated rate, making it appear as an increase in oil usage.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I doubt very much if Suzuki required the oil level to be checked whilst holding the bike. Common sense tells you that this is not the way because it could involve Suzuki in quite a few court cases of bikes falling on the owner during this practice, and I am sure Suzuki's legal team thought it all through. No, quite obviously, the oil level is meant to be checked with the bike on its main stand only.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I doubt very much if Suzuki required the oil level to be checked whilst holding the bike. Common sense tells you that this is not the way because it could involve Suzuki in quite a few court cases of bikes falling on the owner during this practice, and I am sure Suzuki's legal team thought it all through. No, quite obviously, the oil level is meant to be checked with the bike on its main stand only.
I don't think the legal team was involved at all. My last 2 motorcycles had a sight glass and no center stand. Most modern cruisers have a sight glass and no center stand.

·
Registered
511 Posts
>>the oil level is meant to be checked with the bike on its main stand only<<

Exactly... I don't understand all the controversy over something so simple.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I don't think the legal team was involved at all. My last 2 motorcycles had a sight glass and no center stand. Most modern cruisers have a sight glass and no center stand.
Believe me the legal team are always involved. BTW I would not buy a bike that's missing a centre stand - how do you (easily) remove a wheel or change the oil etc? To say the least it must be extremely inconvenient :(

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I had an '86 Honda Shadow with no centerstand and changing the oil was no problem at all.

·
Registered
806 Posts
now you said when the oil is inserted that the bike has to be leaned to the Left, Not a chance im gonna lean 500 600 lbs like that. So if the bike is leaned to the left The windows should show Under the Full line, filling it on the Center Stand One Notch over the Full Line would make it just right? I hope.

Elliott,[/QUOTE]

I have a hard time getting my bike off the centerstand. I always use the kickstand. When checking the oil level I slide a wooden board under the kickstand which allows the bike to lean to the left just enough to keep it from toppling over to the right side.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Believe me the legal team are always involved. BTW I would not buy a bike that's missing a centre stand - how do you (easily) remove a wheel or change the oil etc? To say the least it must be extremely inconvenient :(
It's a royal pain to change a wheel without a center stand. I made a homemade stand I use with a floor jack to raise the wheel off the ground to get the wheels off. I use a board and made a block for both sides to hold the bike level to change the oil. Most cruisers don't have a center stand because they low without a lot of ground clearance and there is not enough room for a center stand that will not scrape the ground in turns. They already have a clearance problem without a stand.

·
Registered
341 Posts
With the bike running and on the center stand (just back from a 7 mile run),I couldn't see any oil. A few bubbles and maybe the thinnest of oil line at the bottom of the window. I shut it off and watched the oil come up to almost the top line.
Is that normal?

·
Registered
511 Posts
With the bike running and on the center stand (just back from a 7 mile run),I couldn't see any oil. A few bubbles and maybe the thinnest of oil line at the bottom of the window. I shut it off and watched the oil come up to almost the top line.
Is that normal?
You will never seen any oil when it's running. ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
After a trip of 3000km in 5 days I was dismayed to find my oil was below the sight glass level. Did some research on BurgmanUSA forum and checked the transmission oil level. Sure enough it was 400ml over-full and the oil sump 400ml low. Seems that on long fast trips the oil migrates from the oil pan to the transmission, leaving trans. over-full (which greatly reduces transmission efficiency) and the oil sump low.
A problem Suzuki needs to address.
This a is 2010 AN650 Executive, BTW

·
Registered
116 Posts
Interesting. Just back from a test ride after correcting oil levels....acceleration through all ranges has improved by a conservative 15%, off the line by 20%. That excess oil in the trans is a real performance killer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
They want you to take the bike to the dealer for the tire and oil change, which is why they don't put a center stand on.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Changing oil on my 97 Shadow 1100 (best engine of any bike I've owned BTW) was easy. To check oil, straddle bike upright, reach down and check dipstick IIRC, but it's been 6 years.

For the Burger 400, yes- straddle the bike on its wheels. I made a front wheel stand, but later found that the easy way is to use a telescoping adjustable mirror to see the sight glass.

I stuck a small level bubble on the dash to indicate levelness left-to-right, as a slight tilt either way messes up the "true" reading.

(The Shadow didn't have a center stand. You could run a 2x6 across the frame rails and prop the thing on blocks though.)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts