Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned in a recent post, I was quoted 150, 195 & 250 for the 650 mile service on my 400. Well, as many of you recomended I checked with the dealer that quoted 150 bucks and, they don't do a valve inspection. The dealer owner, who :shock: has a good reputation, says that it's not necessary at 650 miles and only runs up the cost to the bike owner. He claims that he has cleared that with Suzuki and they agree. The manual states, "inspection" not adjustment. Anyone out there hear of this??

·
Registered
969 Posts
I would tend to agree.

For one thing, it's the dealer's decision to leave it out, which would keep your warrantee intact in the unlikely event that something failed.

Steve

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
garyw0cki said:
The manual states, "inspection" not adjustment.
My question is how you do an inspection of the valves without tearing down the 400? The cost difference from a dealer of an inspection vrs adjustment shouldn't be that much. If they've got it torn down to inspect the valves, I'd prefer they go ahead and adjust them.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Um... In some cases, their "inspection" might consist of little more than putting their ear down near the engine while its running to see if the valves sound noisy...

I'm not one of those guys who accuse all dealer mechanics of incompetence and laziness. The guy who's been doing the work on my 650 is actually pretty good. But your experience may vary, depending on the dealership.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
garyw0cki said:
I checked with the dealer that quoted 150 bucks and, they don't do a valve inspection.
The first service on my 400 cost was just over $220. $175 (3.5 hours at $50 per hour) was for the checking / adjusting the valves. $150 without physically inspecting or adjusting the valves is TOO HIGH.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Bill, I agree. two quarts of oil and a $7 filter....less than a half hour work! Good grief.....I'll do the whole banana for you, put in Amsoil and a K&N filter and you can watch your valves being adjusted for $150.

Regarding valve noise....you won't hear any noise unless the valves are loose. And during the initial seating process they are settling in and getting tighter...not lose.

As I stated earlier, the exhaust on mine were fine, but the intakes had tightened down close to minimum at 600 mile. By comparison my buddies 400 at 7000 miles was slightly under minimum. Based on these two examples only, the dealers may be right in that they can go longer than 600.

I have another friend with a 400 and in a couple of weeks I'll be doing his. Will let you all know how it compares.

However, if they want to save you money by not doing a valve adj, they won't charge you $150 for an oil/filter change. Ask them sometime what an oil/filter change costs. Might be interesting to hear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts