Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to everyone! I'm so glad I came accross this wonderfull site, what a wealth of useful information! I'm a 27 year old russian female who few years back by a weird stroke of luck ended up in Atlanta, GA.
After reading a bunch of posts, I came to realize that I may not be the most rational of people. Most do their research before they buy, whereas I just did the opposite. I saw someone's Burgman 650 in a parking lot, couldn't believe my eyes, said to myself that I must have one, went on Ebay, waited around for the perfect one to come around, and now it's actually on the way all the way from California. It should get here sometime next week and I'm just about bursting with anticipation and excitement! Unfortunately I won't be riding it right away, since it requires some fixing (it was in an accident, mostly front damage). I'm in the process of getting parts for it, would really appreciate if anyone could let me know if there are places other than Ebay where I could get discount parts. Also, I have one other tiny problem-- I've never driven a bike before, although I've ridden in the back a million times. I found the Burgman attractive because of its automatic transmission, but not too long ago a not so kind but perhaps more rational friend of mine suggested that the bike I just got is way too heavy and too hard to handle for a girl like me (I'm 5-9, 140 pounds), he sarcastically added that he can't wait to see me put in parked position. I know from reading the posts there are women riding these scooters, please tell me it's not so bad! I'm planning to take the motorcycle class and I'm sure sooner or later I will master it, but am I pushing my abilities? would I have been more comfortable with some other cycle? Thank you for any of your comments and thoughts!

:lol: Inna :lol:
proud and happy (at least for now) Burgman 650 owner

·
Registered
498 Posts
Inna, welcome to the forum. By some "weird stroke of luck" I found myself falling in love with the 650 on sight, and could only deny myself it's purchase for 12 months. It is an awesome motorcycle. You will love it.

I am 5ft 8ins and 165kgs and the 650 is absolutely no problem at all to handle. I usually ride with 50kgs of passenger and 15kgs under the seat without any issue. Don't forget, when one talks about these motorcycles being big and unweildy, these things are made and ridden in Japan - and the Japanese aren't all that big. I'm about average height here, which by definition means that there are many shorter than me - and Japanese females are often around the 5ft mark. It doesn't stop them riding off-roaders that perch them up in the sky. They simple use unbeleiveable technique and put the stand down with a well practiced flick of the ankle at traffic lights. No joke. When they get on, they bring it to vertical with a kick of the hips and then flick the stand-up... Moreover, loads of retired 70 year old Japanese (read 5ft 2ins 120 pound men) ride GoldWings without problem, so you will have no problems at all.

In all honesty, maybe starting on the AN400 would have been better because the torque of the 650 means that it feels more like a 1200 than a 600, but if you practive hard you'll be fine.

One thing - make sure there is no frame damage on the bike, and that the front forks are righted. It's a heavy thing, and modern motorcycles don't crash well - especially at the front end (in the name of weight saving). Don't take any chances with those components even if it costs more than you first invisaged.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hi Inna and welcome to the forum :wave: I hope all goes well with the reconstruction of your new scoot. I think once you've taken an MSF course you will be ok with the 650. Other females ride them, why not you!
I too fell in love with the Burgman at first sight. Then as you say I did some investigating and figured it was a must have. I'm so thankful owning it now. :D

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Inna,

Welcome to the forum. You might try Ron Ayers for parts. They have good prices on new parts. They also have an on line fiche for the 650, which you will find very useful. Just click on the "onlinefiche updated" icon, and drill down to the "AN650 Burgman 2003 K3" selection. https://www.ronayers.com/main.cfm

Some other forum members have had good luck with Oneida Suzuki also. https://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/xcar ... hp?cat=559

You will also need a Service Manual, which can be purchased from either Ron Ayers or Oneida Suzuki - possibly on Ebay too. The parts number for the Burgman 650 Service manual is 99500-36110-03E. I bought mine from Ron Ayers for $31.02, but I had to call them to order it because it wasn't listed on their website. Oneida Suzuki does list it on their website, but at a higher price. It comes in very handy.

Good luck with repairing the scooter.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Добро пожаловать Inna,

Congratulations on your Burgman purchase. Since you have time before being able to ride your 650, I highly advise taking the Georgia Motorcycle Rider Course: Riding and Street Skills (based on the Motorcycle Saftey Foundations Beginner Rider Course). You will learn all the basic skills required to safely ride a motorcycle. In addition, Georgia does not require you to take a written or driving test to get your motorcycle license upon successful completion of the course. For more information see : http://www.dmvs.ga.gov/training/gmsp/index.asp. Most insurance companies also offer discounts (10%) for riders that have sucessfully completed the course.

As for putting the Burgman on the center stand, you should not have any problems. I would suggest you have someone help steady the bike (if required) the first couple of times until you are comfortable doing it alone. All it takes is a little practice.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Inna:

Welcome and congratulations. Definitely get the Sevice Manual. Its drawings and pictures will show you how to take stuff apart and put stuff back together again.

Your English is great! (Ex-English professor).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts