Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to go into "urgent (but not fast) care" yesterday. Knee hurt really bad. X-rays show bone on bone where the cartlage is gone. A knee replacement will be needed soon, but I think we are trying injections first.

In the mean time, I am walking with a brace on my leg and a cane to help me around. Scooter is out, can't get my leg to stretch to be able to reach the ground and supporting the weight is out.

I started the day at 59 and think by the end of the day I felt as I was closer to 79. Getting old isn't fun, but I keep working at it.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Had to go into "urgent (but not fast) care" yesterday. Knee hurt really bad. X-rays show bone on bone where the cartlage is gone. A knee replacement will be needed soon, but I think we are trying injections first.

In the mean time, I am walking with a brace on my leg and a cane to help me around. Scooter is out, can't get my leg to stretch to be able to reach the ground and supporting the weight is out.

I started the day at 59 and think by the end of the day I felt as I was closer to 79. Getting old isn't fun, but I keep working at it.
Well, don't give up.

Leaving out all the details - I had massive trauma to my leg when I was 13. Had a couple of surgeries on it back then. By the time I was 32, it was back for more pain. I told surgeon to cut it off or fix it, I didn't care which. He told me I was way too young for a knee replacement, so he did three procedures on it, including a cartilage transplant to under the knee cap (there was none there at all, it was bone on bone). That was almost 15 years ago. No REAL pain since then - but lately, I have noticed it is pretty weak. It's just a matter of time before I need something else done to it.

Anyway - the point is, ask him about a cartilage transplant. It was cutting edge when I had mine done, but it should be pretty common place by now. If he will not do it, find someone who will.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
It's never a nice thing but I know two riders here who have had there knees done and it gave them a new lease of life. They went to lighter bikes for a while but one is back on maxi-scooters.

Good luck with the treatment.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad to hear there is movement after bad knees. Knew this was going to happen someday, but yesterday advanced someday.

Love the bike, and I love having 'projects' at home that keep my mind and body going with things to do. Great to hear of others riding after surgery. Looking forward to that day.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Both of my knees are bone-on-bone...
too many years pushing a heavy clutch
in a Mack dump truck...had to get out,
because I couldn't pass the physical anymore.
Was hoping that Medicare would finally fix
my knees, but by the time I was eligible,
the 'Gobment' changed the rules...so now
we have to try every other alternative,
& document that nothing else is working.
Got the gel injections in January...now
I wait until July for 'evaluation'. Went to physical
therapy twice a week for 3 hours last Nov. &
Dec...report said 'No Improvement'. Waste of
time. So...here I am, 4 years later, prolonging
the pain.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Sorry about you not being able to ride. 3 years ago I shattered my left leg and had to spend 9 months in a wheelchair. When the doctor released me I had to switch my support leg at stops. I don't know if that is an option for you or not.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I know several people who have had knee and/or hip replacements, and every one of them are very happy they finally got it done and wonder why they waited so long! :)

·
Registered
857 Posts
Well whatever you decide I hope it works out for you!

·
Registered
96 Posts
For those who can't seem to get utilization of both legs, don't forget about a trike as an optional way to keep on scootin'. You don't need two feet on the ground to feel the wind in your face!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Knee

I'm 61 and have had 2 lumbar fusions, my neck is completely fused and my right knee was replaced. I have doctor's appt. the 22nd, with more surgery in lumbar expected. I'm going to keep riding because I love to ride. At this age, it's not what you ride, it's the ride with friends. There is pain, but's it's worth it.

Hang in there, Bob:D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry to hear that.
I'm 37 and lost my right leg 20 years ago. About 3" from the knee. Now UH200 is my daily ride. I would have gone for a 400/650 if the price is not too ridiculous in my country (>250cc cycles are considered luxury goods and have an additional 100% VAT)...

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
64 here. My knees are still holding up pretty well but I have had four compression fractures of my back with surgery and think I have another now as I have pretty severe back pain. Kinda sucks getting old until you consider the alternative.

Doug

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
There are some clever weight transferring knee braces

http://www.ossur.com/oa-solutions/unloader-braces-and-osteoarthritis/unloader-one-knee-brace

Steroid injections are miraculous as my torn shoulder will attest to... and Celebrex goes a long way as well.

Don't give up.....the effort will do your spirits a world of good.

I'm 67 still riding mild off road and loads of touring and local riding. I'm very protective of my knees - use hand rails all the time and armor on the joint plus high boots.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
A knee replacement will be needed soon, but I think we are trying injections first.
Got my left knee replaced - was bone on bone pain. Pain now gone. Motorcycling is as good as old times. A high school football injury - torn meniscus - they removed it those days instead of fixing it.

The knee sets off the airport detectors and I get pulled out and frisked EVERY time.

Reactions: BurgyBill

·
May have gone but will be missed
2,682 Posts
ducati14, you're getting good at digging up these old threads. But it's a good thread, I never posted in it, I probably should have. I've got bad knees, right is worst, bone on bone, from old motorcycle racing days. i've had the shots in it several times, no knee replacement yet, I just hobble around.
You have an excellent slogan, Ride till I croak, that's a good one. I think that's what I'll tell them when they try to put me in the old folks home.

Reactions: ducati14

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well as long as it has been brought up from the dead, I will add to my original thread.

Injections has been mentioned. I have recently finished my third set of three injections. This is having less effect than in the past. Maybe the problem with this set is that I walked too much during/after the time I was getting the injections: State Fair (6 miles first time and 4 miles 2nd time) plus 3 trips to the renaissance festival at 2-4 miles each time.

Tentatively figuring knee replacement in March. That should give me recovery time before riding season.

·
Registered
244 Posts
After reading the above posts, I will never complain again. I can't believe my good luck to be able to stand upright without pain.

When that time comes, my plan is to trade my faithful Burgman in for a Spyder.

Reactions: Jeff_MdR

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have heard all the success stories about knee replacements, but my replacements wasn't one of them. Both knees were replaced on the same day and weeks of rehab followed. I traded one set of problems for another. I can't stand or walk very far and my range of motion is limited to about 90 degrees. I have been very protective of my knees, but my love of riding was strong enough to take a chance on buying a 400. I rode it 2 months, sold it and purchased a 650 which I refer to as my mobility scooter.

I ride with 3 locals who have a Goldwing, Honda ST1300 and a big Harley. When we first talked on the phone and they ask what I was riding I sad a Suzuki 650. When we first met I could read their expressions after seeing it was a scooter. After a couple rides they aren't so concerned about the old man keeping up with them.

Safe riding everyone,
El Charro

Reactions: ducati14 and gec343
1 - 20 of 47 Posts