Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm in the market for a Burgman and wanted to stop by to introduce myself. I'm a long time motorcyclist who has recently had a knee replacement and am having complications from it. It doesn't look like I'll be able to swing my leg over a tall motorcycle again(currently have a FJ09, Honda Goldwing and a KLR 650.). I'm looking to sell my 3 bikes and pick up a Burgman. Right now I'm leaning towards a new 400 but if I can find the right 650 in my area then that's the way I would prefer to go. I typically take a couple multiday trips a year and would like to still have that capability with the Burgman.

Anyway I just wanted to drop in and introduce myself. Thanks for letting me join!

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
Hello Memphis !

Get them bikes sold and get yourself a knee brace and a B650. You be Bopping Beal Street before someone can ask you ....Would you like a Fried Pie with that ! or Chicken n Waffles !

Reactions: Tromper

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Welcome. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
2,365 Posts
I was at that point many years ago..ended up riding a 650 first...in some ways would rather I hadn't, but after that the 400 just wasn't the one, but is a perfectly good bike. One of the more popular maxis in the world for that matter.
That said, riding one of the 2018+ 400s with that big front wheel is on my agenda, but Covid got in the way this year so just added a phone mount to the 650 and am riding it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
With a bum knee, another thing you need to consider is the weight of the bike - specifically, whether it would be light enough for you to pick it back up on your own if you lay it down or it tips over.

·
Premium Member
8,323 Posts
on the other side of the weight, reduced maintenance on the 650 , less gettin up and down . either way, they are both great bikes and capable of takin to the road!

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
451 Posts
mikey - He could just get a 400 and never do any maintenance. That IS an option... not saying it's a good option.

Welcome Lee. I'm a 650 owner, if I had it to do over again, I'd go for a 400. Pending a ride review. The one 400 I rode long ago shook a couple fillings loose. Maybe it was a bad example 400, dunno. But the 650 is very smooth riding, but tis a big fat heavy obstinate (to move when turned off) pig. Tis handy, oh tis handy to be sure. But the 400 is probably 90% as handy, and less weight. And if one is going to suffer the humiliation of riding a "scooter," one might as well get all the mpg you can get whilst doing so. I have no issue with riding a scooter. But just yesterday, a 100% verified redneck leaned his whole upper body out of his old crusty hooptie Ford Ranger and yelled at me as loud as he could, a derogatory descriptive word describing a male who prefers to have relations with only or primarily with other males.

Little did said redneck know I have the body of Shrek and the mindset of Dick Butkus. We were on a slow road and it would have taken nothing to zip and round, roll up next to him and ask him if he'd prefer to discuss his statement in more detail via roadside. But I guess I am now (only) 1 maturity point over the threshold required for that to sort of thing to sound like a good idea. I just ignored it and went on about my bidness. 2 wheels is 2 wheels in my opinion … does the engine and body layout really matter? I guess its the engine, body layout and no manual clutch & shifting. But doesn't make no bloody difference to me.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Personally, I think the 400 is better becuz it's simpler. But that's just me. Good luck with your knee. If you want, you can mail the KLR650 to me 😀 That bike was on my short list for years. But I like my 2008 AN400 a lot. It and my 2007 Sportster live in my garage.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Well lee like any good motorcyclist the first thing you do is accessorise. Backrest on the seat hump is an excellent addition however it does affect pillion comfort so beware. Screen is the next one Givi clear view Kappa all better than stock. Enjoy and have fun.

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
Well done Memphis ! seeing you next to the bike the B650 looks perfect for you.

Which knee did you have fixed ? If it was the left one get a mechanical knee brace.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys.

Maccecht....I already have the givi top box mount and fit kit on the way along with a windshield. Gotta love the aftermarket.

DarisPakar....I had the right knee done and am having the left one done this fall(at least at this point I think I am going to ). I got out today for about a 30 mile ride and I definitely made the right choice. I don't think I would have been happy with the 400 due to my size.

Thanks again y'all. I'm looking forward to putting some miles on this ride.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts