Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone. I have just joined the forum after lurking here for several weeks. Reading the many informative posts here has led me to believe that this is the place to be. My 2014 Burgman 400 with ABS is my very first scooter. I have owned many motorcycles over the years ranging from old British motorcycles bought used to brand new cruisers, sports touring bikes and even a Gold Wing.
I actually ended up owning a new Burgman almost by accident. I had initially looked at the Honda Forza and thought it would be an ideal ride in terms of looks, performance and convenience. The dealer gave me a good on-line quote for an end-of-season model and I was anxious to have a look at it. When I sat on the Forza in the dealers’ showroom, I was really disappointed because it just did not seem to fit me. I am 6 feet tall and other riders my size on the Honda forum stated how comfortable they were with the bike.
Fortunately, the dealer also had a Suzuki franchise, so the salesman brought me over to another part of the store where he showed me the Burgman. As soon as I saw the shiny, black beauty and sat on it, I found there was a huge difference - I knew it was for me. It was much more comfortable than the Forza and it seemed to fit me like a glove. I just loved the appearance of the bike. Since it was the end of the riding season, the dealer was anxious to sell and I got it for a price that felt comfortable for me.
The bike will not be delivered until March, so I am counting the days remaining to this endless winter. My only concern with buying the 400 Burgman may be a possible lack of power compared to the power I am used to from my other motorcycles. I’m not expecting a rocket ship, but I hope it will have adequate power. I have not owned a single cylinder ‘thumper’ in many years, so it may be just a matter of getting used to it. Once the riding season is finally here again in the spring, I’m sure I will have a few questions for forum members and I will be relying on your sage advice. Ride safe .:p

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Glad you found us, 2slow! Don't worry about the Burg's power. It won't go from zero to crap-my-pants in 2.5 seconds, but it'll certainly pull away from a stop light with authority and merge into Interstate traffic with ease. You're going to have a great time!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Yup, mine has very nice, consistent pull from 0 to about 87, then tappers off a bit till its at its 90+ limit. Not super fast, but you'll be doing highway speeds before you know it. I have no problem doing the freeway at all. It's a very stable platform.

Congratulations and Welcome to BUSA from sunny Los Angeles.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Welcome aboard and congrats on the new ride! Wanted to get the Forza, but now worries lest the 400 should be underpowered.
Sounds very familiar :D

You'll find almost every bit of information on Burgie here, it'll help while away the long winter time too. First thing - hurry slowly and let the bike run in properly to open its full potential. Apparently i'm in the same area, so if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. :)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Hello 2slow and welcome to the forum.
I'm also in Ontario (Toronto) and just like you I picked up a new 2014 Burgman at the end of the year at a great price. It's a 650 Burgman and I also get delivery in the last week of March, making this seem a VERY long winter of waiting. Not my first scooter (moving up from a SYM RV250) but I'm sure you'll enjoy the 400.

Now, if only mother-nature cooperates and gives us an early Spring in March.
Steve

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Welcome & I know you will be surprised at how well the 400 will do once it's broke in.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I drive mine daily on the interstate, absolutely no problem keeping up with traffic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a noob, how long is the break in a 400? I just got a 08 with 2730mi and it just doesn't feel like it's loosened up much. The previous owner only rode 1500 miles in the last 4 years and it's never been on the freeway...until now. What great ride, I'm so glad to have it.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Break-in is considered 600 miles...you are
well past that point, so as you ride, it
will loosen-up a bit more...no worries.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts