Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be picking up my new 650burger in about three hours. 8)

My last (and only) scooter was an eighty-something Honda 80cc.

I chose the Burgman over a Yamaha FJR1300, a Triumph Tiger, and a KTM 950 Adventure. :shock: Tell me I won't be disappointed.

·
Super Moderator
8,061 Posts
Welcome on board,

You won't be dissapointed. I put 3,000 miles on a 400 May to Sept. traded it for the 650, and have 1,500 miles on it since. I plan on about 5,000 miles per season, with a few road trips. Easy riding 2up or solo.
Almost too easy. The Tranny is amaizing.

Jim

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
migz123 said:
wasions said:
Tell me I won't be disappointed.
You won't be disappointed - there :D oh, and welcome!!
I' might as well jump on the band wagon.....You won't be disappointed!
Also congrats on the new machine and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I do have a couple of disappointments. First tank of gas looks like about 25~30 mpg. But then, everything's still pretty tight. I expect that to go up - hopefully, a lot. The low beams on the headlights illuminate around 100 yards down the road and then cut off into utter blackness. Not good, and I don't see any adjusting screws. Maybe I need to look a little harder. The high beams are incredible - better than my car. It still feels like a scooter. I guess I expected something that big to seem more like a motorcycle. The handling, though still a little cumbersome around town (that'll get better, too, as I get more used to the feel), is very good once the speed gets up to 55~60 or so. I had some nasty 30+ mph crosswinds during my initial ride, and though it messed with my helmet, it didn't much faze the bike. Acceleration, too, was less than exciting, but then I'm not getting it over the 4,000 rpm break-in.

On the plus side - coverage (protection from the elements) is outstanding. I also really like the engine braking under decelleration. It was unexpected, and surprising. The brakes don't get much use. 8) I also like the 'dieseling' noise it makes that several others complain about. The seat is very good. I expected to be able to move the butt-stop forward a couple of inches, but after riding awhile, I moved it to the rearmost position and left it there. I'm about 5'11". My legs felt a little cramped at first, but there are ample positions to put my feet, and after a little experimentation, I found they were most comfortable with my heels resting in the forward bend. It also has quite a bit more potential lean angle than I expected and already feels more comfortable in a hard turn than the DR. I suspect that the tires have a lot to do with that, too.

I put about 150 miles on it today. I'll get back out tomorrow if it doesn't rain (and maybe if it does).

Funny thing: I sort of expected to be shunned. Instead, nearly every biker I saw waved (I always do). That may have more to do with the spring-like weather than anything else though.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Your gas mileage should end up in the 45 to 50 mpg range after another tank or two - and it loves the 87 octane stuff.

Wind is the curse of riding in the plains states... My Burgman 650 handles it better than my V-Strom. Unfortunately, my Burgman is still in the shop awaiting arrival of a special tool so that dieseling sound thing can be fixed. So I rode the V-Strom today for about 170 miles in Nebraska and Iowa. The wind on the Iowa side on the trip home was scary - very high gusts coming from the side. I have good aftermarket windscreens on both my rides, but they can't do much when the wind blasts in from the side like that.

The Burgman looks like a sport bike from the front - very similar to my V-Strom actually, so most wavers don't really know they are waving at a scooter. What's fun is when I cruise past a Goldwing on the interstate. Shortly before I bought mine, a guy cruised by my V-Strom on one doing about 80 mph. I remember thinking "what the heck is that?" Son of a gun didn't even wave - must have been a scooter snob :roll: .

Acceleration is not in the same league on the scooter as a good motorcycle, but it is fast enough to be fun, and fast enough to get the job done when you need to pass a car or truck. It is a 500 lb, 55 hp, 650 twin with an automatic transmission. 3.8 second 0-60 sprints just aren't part of that equation.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Paul,
Those are things I pretty much knew before I made the decision to buy, but having you verify them is good, too. I hope to get this run-in thing over with rather quickly so I can start enjoying the real benefits of mega-scoot ownership. I still don't know what I'll do about the headlights though. Much of my riding is through heavily wooded, deer infested areas, and at night, so it's something that will definately have to be dealt with.

I had also considered the V-Strom among my choices. Since you have both, and still think I did well, I'll just have to take your word for it. :)

·
Registered
793 Posts
wasions, you won't be disappointed.

Use your yellow passing button to give your headlamps momentary flashes of super brightness.

·
Registered
308 Posts
ajwood said:
wasions, you won't be disappointed.

Use your yellow passing button to give your headlamps momentary flashes of super brightness.
I really like that feature in the Burgman and a lot of the newer bikes I'm seeing nowadays

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Me too. It's already come in handy, and it's position is perfect. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts