Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
My name is Wet Willie and I live in Kingsport, TN, one of the Tri-Cities. I joined because I'd like to post a few questions on the board. I've been riding bikes for 36 yrs now and have recently begun considering buying a 650 Burg to use for touring. My biggest concern is that I'll be disappointed with the amount of power the 650 has on tap. My present ride is a Honda 700 Nighthawk S or a Suzuki SV650. It all depends upon where I'm going and if I'm riding solo or not.
The Burg 650 sounds VERY tempting but have I been spoiled by the power available on my other rides? Can anyone post a link to a road test that includes a 1/4 mile time? I'm not going to drag race but I figure it'll give me an idea of how quick it is.
Thanks in adavance for the welcome and the advice.
WW

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
The 650 is decieving. Not a lot of "G" force on acceleration, but it is constant. I've gone on group rides with crusers, sportbikes, and full dressers. I've never been left behind. Me and my wife have done, and are doing this year, a 1 week tour. Last year was about 1,200 miles. This year about the same.

Brian, one of our members have posted.

"The best I've managed for 0 - 60 time in Normal mode is a little over 10 seconds.
In Power mode I can do it in about 8 seconds.
In manual mode I can shave it down to 7 seconds. "

and

"I've done maximum speed and 0 - 60 tests on my AN650K3, but haven't done a 1/4 mile test.

However Motorcycle Consumer News, in its May 2004 issue, had full performance data for their tests of an '04 650.

They reported 101MPH top speed, which is a little less than my 107MPH downhill max, but nearly identical to my level-ground max of 101.7MPH.

They reported 0 - 60 in 7 seconds in manual mode, which again is exactly what I got.

So I have confidence in their 1/4 mile test, which they report as:

15.19 seconds @ 84.9 MPH."

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
WW, I assume you have been to K'port Suzuki and they do not have one to test ride. Jim's in JC has one, maybe you could test ride it. If you have any questions you can call me in JC. 461-3535

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings WW and welcome to the forum. The Burg won't match the SV for power but will pleasantly surprise you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Response to this new member's intro

Guys,
I really appreciate your responses and your welcome to the board. Allwalk, I looked over your albums and am very impressed, especially with your flame job. Brian, don't be surprised if you get a call from me. Kport Suzi sold the last 650 they had in stock. I haven't tried Jim's in JC but will. I've heard too many bad things about that place to even consider doing biz there. It would be a good place to try a 650 out though.
Give some thought to emailing me about joining me for a ride sometime. I prefer the twisties to the super slab though so keep that in mind.
Thanks to the others that responded and I especially appreciate the comments re: acceleration.
WW

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
WW, I do not have your email address. Send me an email and I will get your address.

Like you, I ride on the seconary roads and not the interstates unless it is necessary.

Another idea to see if the bike will have enough acceralation: Atlas has a used SilverWing. While the 650 and SW are totally dfferent in handling and ride (the 650 being much better), they do accelerate very similarly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts