Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all! My name is Daryl and I am from Hanover Park, Illinois (about 1 hr west of Chicago).

Last year I had purchased a Yamaha Zuma Scooter (49cc) for my daughter and I just loved driving it! So....

This year (2 weeks ago), I purchased a 2003 Blue Burgman 650.

I just love driving it around and I can't wait to outfit it with a radio/intercom.

If there is anyone else in my area, let's consider forming a driving group for drives, outings, etc!

Daryl
:lol:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi Daryl,

Welcome to the group. I can tell you, you'll get lots of good information from everybody here. I live in Rock Island...straight west on I88, turn left right before you get to Iowa...can't miss it. If you ever want to meet in the middle somewhere for a ride, let me know.

Bruce Woodburn
AN650K3
Reflex

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Re: Thanks

Daryl,

You might want to look at http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/drivers/drivers_license/motorcycle.html. Looking thru that site, it appears your state offers free training. Click on the IDOT Motorcycle Rider Course link for more information. If you pass the course, no testing for the M endorsement is required. From reading the overview, the IDOT course sounds exactly like the Motorcycle Saftey Foundation courses. They may be the same....just with the states approval/rebranding.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply.

These programs are very busy and fill very quickly. The program opened up on March and I overnighted my application. My assigned date for my course is September.

So, I went to the DMV and took the written test for the learners permit. For now, I have been driving the Burgman around town, making sure not to exceed the speed limits!

I was thinking of driving over to the DMV some Sunday and solo try the motorcycle driving course. If I can do that, perhaps I will try for my license then. I will still go to the basic course, would love learning how operate the clutch on a motorcycle and it would help with the insurance.

Daryl

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hi Daryl and welcome to the forum :wave: Glad to hear your loving your Burgman. Just take it easy and do some early morning parking lot practice to get used to the handling of your new ride.

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you want to try the course cold, you might borrow someone's smaller twist n' go scooter. It would be easier, perhaps.

I was going to suggest a small displacement motorcycle, but it appears you're not yet checked out on weird things like clutches and gearshifts.

In any event, good luck, and Allwalk is right on about early morning parking lot practice. Remember, always look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info!

Last year I have 'scootin' on the Zuma around town so I am fairly familar with the two wheeler.

I have been driving around the 650 and I am getting pretty familar with it.

I have been practicing the tight turns and U-turns in a parking lot, some Sunday when the DMV is closed, I'll go to the motorcycle course and practice there.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Congratulations on passing the MSF course. You have to wait 3 weeks for the certificate??? Eeek! They gave us the certificate at the end of the course.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Daryl

Many congratulations on passing the MSF. :wav:

It must be difficult having to wait - what must seem like an eternity, can you not ride the LAB without having the actual certificate in your 'sticky- mitt'?

If so - that really sucks! :evil:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanxs!!

I have been riding, with a instruction permit. I figured as long as I wear the equipment, behave myself and follow the rules, the police would leave me alone....

It's worked so far, it will be a load off my mind once I get that 'M' class!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts