Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my clutch bell and cvt holder. I'm sure there's plenty of threads on this but in the short time I've been here, I've seen questions about them.
I made this out of some unused mobile home steps and two bolts I had laying around.

The back side of the stairs where I cut off the piece I needed-

First tack it with cheap Harbor Freight welder-

Then, make sure it'll fit-

Cut bolts short so leverage is on your side. Finish welding. I put an extra weld at the"Y" for strength. Grind away the sharp things-

Paint!

I may make up a few of these for cheap since I have the metal laying around.
A word on the cheap wire welder. It cost me $99 a few years ago. I have restored two cars with it and numerous little jobs. These things are worth the money if you are like me and just like playing around and learning new things. I didn't know how to (wire) weld when I first got it.
Harbor Freight has the torque bars for sale but I already had theses materials here. Plus I have a torque wrench. So, I'm SO ready for my bearings to get here (UPS where are you?!). I wanna ride!

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
good job - Couple of Questions that others didnt provide
1. What are the measurements for the lengths of Angle Iron
2. Could you have just used a bolt with nuts to hold them in place - if so what length did you end up on the bolts - size of bolt ( diameter)

I cant weld nor would i make use of a welder but i have a drill and angle grinder so i can fabricate it out of angle iron and bolts

Or do you think the bolts approach would not work ?

Again thanks for submitting

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Cool inferno. Dimensions ? If you have it still

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good job - Couple of Questions that others didnt provide
1. What are the measurements for the lengths of Angle Iron
2. Could you have just used a bolt with nuts to hold them in place - if so what length did you end up on the bolts - size of bolt ( diameter)

I cant weld nor would i make use of a welder but i have a drill and angle grinder so i can fabricate it out of angle iron and bolts

Or do you think the bolts approach would not work ?

Again thanks for submitting
Hey GB, I think the bolts approach would work just fine. I would use grade 8 bolts. I'll have to get back to you with the measurements. As long as the bolts aren't more than an inch and a half long, I think they would be strong enough. I'll get the measurements as soon as I can.
Kind of busy tomorrow so it may be two days.
#2 question - yes , and with your angle grinder, you can always shorten!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't measure anything, and I suspect inferno didn't either. All you have to do is make sure the long handle will reach the ground and fit the apparatus to the clutch bell in opposite holes. If you fit it to the clutch bell, it will fit the cvt thingy.

I've heard of people breaking a fin on the cvt. I'm going to cut a piece of wood with a curve to match the fin so as to spread out the contact surface. Probably over-kill, but if you knew track record with luck....

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Just ran into this one. Looks easiest to make (could use bolts in the T Thing to fit into the Hubs vs the Tabs he welded on there). Might be made (slight modification) to work on the 650 clutch also.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I remember watching that one twice because the first one he shows isn't like the last one. The last one is adjustable, the first is not.
Mine is not adjustable but it fits both clutch and cvt.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Great job. Just curious, is it possible to use an impact wrench to get the variator nut off?

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Great job. Just curious, is it possible to use an impact wrench to get the variator nut off?
Yep and many do -

Its the getting on that causes debate between using a tool like this and a torque wrench vs impact wrench and torque sticks

I have used torque sticks but have a somewhat damaged thread on the cvt end ( not because of the impact wrench) so was looking for something i can "feel" better when tightening up

·
Registered
709 Posts
I agree a torque wrench is always the way to go anytime accurate measurements are required...
Unfortunately on this system, it becomes a debate because fins get broke doing it the correct method... I have gone against the grain on this one and I bought a 75 foot-pound torque stick, I have a lot of faith in them and they are very accurate although, they might be slightly off compared to a real torque wrench, but they should be pretty close. The thread never runs it 90% of its maximum anyhow, that wouldn't be a safe fastner!

More than likely those with the stripped threads most likely didn't use a torque stick.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got everything back together. My tool worked as it should but for one thing. You have to make sure you have positive pressure towards the clutch and variator. It popped off the clutch two times.
Once I put pressure on it -just enough to keep it on -it worked fine.
On the variator fins I pit a piece of rubber hose around the "teeth" of the holding tool. I didn't break any fins - that's a WIN!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts