Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we had another in Downtown Orlando the Other Night...

NO Helmet and Alcohol (Drunk).

Cops tried to stop a guy on a Motorcycle who ignored a Stop Sign..

Nice Chase through Downtown until he slammed into the Rear Wheel Well on a Ford Expedition.

DRT and he hit the Expedition hard enough to Shatter the Alloy Wheel and Send the Remains of the Trucks Wheel and Tire Spinning off down the road followed by his bike.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
At the risk of sounding crass, the roadways are safer with him off them .
And that outweighs the negative biker image (I hope). :(

·
Registered
254 Posts
another hits the slab

One word...LOSER :evil:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Another helmet-less rider got a helicopter ride today. While my company was out on a house fire, a neighboring company got dispatched for a motorcycle accident. I don't know the details, but the address was a nice country road. And when the incident commander requested a helicopter, he stated that the rider was not wearing a helmet and had head and possible cervical injuries.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I am ,no doubt among the top 10 riders that don't always wear motorcycle safety gear, not proud of it, it's just a fact.
BUT there is no way I will ride my bike without my helmet on.
Granted safety first, but I would most likely get heat stroke without the head cover, not to mention bugs hitting a bald head hurt. :(

·
Registered
806 Posts
That's me. There are times that I will ride two miles away to the YMCA to go work out. Shorts, tennis shoes, and a T-shirt....and my helmet. I never EVER ride without a helmet.

I mean, no one ever died of road rash..but you can fall off your bike in the driveway, hit your head and be history.

That being said, I do ride with my armored jacket, gloves, and jeans about 98% of the time.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I wear my helmet on every ride. I also wear riding jacket and gloves 98% of the time, and boots much of the time. I always wore my boots when I was riding motorcycles. I've gotten a little lazy about that lately with the scooter. I know that isn't good.

What I'm having a problem with is riding pants. I invested in a great pair of Olympia mesh pants and also two pair of Draggin' Jeans this year. I do wear them some, but I've ridden for years wearing just regular jeans, and the habit is hard to break. It takes just several minutes to change pants before and after riding, but often for shorter rides I just don't bother. I need to do better with that.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I wear my mesh pants, jacket, gloves, and helmet 100% of the time, but I'm bad about something else: Boots. My feet will be hammered if I'm ever in an accident. Luckily i'm in a job where I don't have to walk....

I wear casual dress shoes or tennis shoes. Yup. My bad.

Just haven't found a "cool" (temp-wise) pair of boots that are plain looking for work and don't cost $200. I'll keep looking. I hate carrying my regular shoes in the trunk to change into when I get where I'm going. That's a hassle...

·
Registered
206 Posts
When I first began riding motorcycles (mumble) years ago, I observed a motorcycle/Bus collision. The bus had changed lanes from right to left, while the motorcycle was alongside. The rear wheels of the bus had completely crushed the chest of the rider. But it was reported in the paper as: "Mr. Jones was not wearing a helmet at the time of the accident".

While that was true, it was irrelevant, as he'd have been a corpse in any case. More importantly, why was he riding along side a city bus, where he could not see the turn signals? Some times there is nothing you can do to avoid an accident, but this was NOT one of those times. That said, at the time I wore a Bell Star 110 helmet (a full face model designed for peripheral vision/safety with glasses on). I don't even see those sold anymore.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Paul-

How do you like the draggin jeans so far? I'm thinking of getting a pair and possibly the draggin jacket, too. Did you get the armor or just the jeans?

My head is always in the helmet, and I almost always wear either a mesh jacket or a textile jacket when it gets cooler. And mesh pants with jeans, and boots. But the jeans might be a nice change of pace.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I always have the helmet on and the visor down - even in hot weather (and yes we do get hot weather sometimes in the UK ;) ).

One hot day I was tempted to keep the visor up, having lifted it at lights, but was so glad I put it back down. A hundred yards later, some yob threw a large potted plant over a wall, it bounced off a BMW's windscreen and the shattered chunks, stones and much smashed into my head. If I had the visor up, I'm convinced I'd have cut up my face, possibly damaged my eyes and probably lost control of the bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts