Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in Athens. I called my local shop to see if they had any SilverWings in stock. They did but they had the Burgman sitting right beside it. I looked at both for more than an hour and my dealer told me the price was the same - take my choice. I'm taking until Monday to finally decide but I think it's really a no-brainer - the Suzuki is superior in every feature. Now, I just need to sell my supercharged Miata! But, I'm getting the Burg, any way.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Al,

Good choice. Which Burgman model (650 or 400)?

Honda has had to issue several recalls on the SilverWing. The most recent was that the gas tank could rupture on some of them. I think the prior one had something to do with handlebar mounting that could give way - and I believe there was an earlier recall but I can't remember the details. Honda also had to recall some GoldWings recently due to possible frame weld failure. These are scary, because they could compromise personal safety.

So I think Suzuki is a better choice just from the standpoint of product quality at this point in time. So far, I've had good luck with both of my '03 Suzukis - over 12,000 miles on them combined.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
From one Al to another Al let me say welcome to the forum :wave: I think you made a wise choice as well, but you will probably find a few bias opinions on this site :lol: Hope everything goes well with your new purchase and can be riding soon.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

I'm going for the 650. My local dealer doesn't carry the 400 but said he could order one. I'm kind of a big guy and this scoot is replacing my car and I can get a better deal on what he has on the floor.

I'm a little spooked about the power - I've never owned a street bike. I raced motocross for about 10 years, though. I've ridden a few street bikes but it's been a long time....I'm no kid. :wink:

You guys think I'll get any trouble while learning to ride this thing? I live in a large but quiet neighborhood and I plan to practice for several days before I venture out in traffic. One problem will be getting it home from the dealership - it's on a very long busy highway! I may have to have them deliver it to my house.

I do want to find to find a combination rear back rest and luggage rack with one of those locking hardshell box thingies - what are those called, anyway?

So, thanks again for the warm welcome!

Al

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hi again Al!

I too was a long time motocrosser. If you have dirt experience , you won't have any problems with the 650. Just remember , thats not a clutch its the rear brake.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hi AL
You might experience terror for the first 2 1/2 seconds. By the time you get to the end of the street and back, you'll think its pretty good for a big bike. After a month you'll want a Burgman 1500.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Re: Thanks!

Al Davison said:
I do want to find to find a combination rear back rest and luggage rack with one of those locking hardshell box thingies - what are those called, anyway?
Al
Al,

Those are called "trunks". Probably the most popular brand is Givi, and they do have the mounting rack for the AN650. I have a Givi trunk on my 650 and it is very handy. If you mount a Givi trunk, you won't need a backrest, because the trunk acts as one.

I bought mine through Arizona Motorsports.
http://store.yahoo.com/azmotorsports/index.html

Givi has various sizes. I have the largest, which is the E52 model. So I have 56 liters of storage under the seat, and 52 additional liters in the trunk. You can see a picture of my scooter with the trunk on it in the photo gallery.
http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/pauljo_Remus/DSC00153

(The picture also shows my custom seat, Clearview windscreen, and Remus exhaust.)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this is a great resource!

Thanks, again! (I bet I'll be saying that many more times).

I'm definitely going to go for the Givi trunk. With the under the seat space and that trunk, that will be about as much space as I have in the trunk of my Miata. :lol:

You guys are helping me a great deal!

Now, it's time to pick some helmets. If you have suggestions about that, I'd love to hear them or you can point me to somewhere else on this forum and I'll go check it out. I'd prefer not to wear a full-face helmet but I am considering one of the "flip-up" types. Don't get me wrong, I am totally into protection - I'm one of the 1% of mountain bikers around here wearing a full-face helmet in the woods and I would never go back to the standard type. But, on the other hand, I fully expect to crash on my mountain bike. I'm kinda hoping to avoid crashing the Burg. :wink:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Welcome new Burgie rider!

I buy my helmets from MotorcycleHelmets.net: http://motorcyclehelmets.net/yvs500/

The most recent I got is the HJC Symax Modular (flip-up).

Their prices are pretty good!

We use the 3/4 helmets around town and the flip-up full helmets for highway use.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hats - thanks for the tip

SpunkySquid and others:

Thanks for the response! I may have to order from them if they have my size in stock. My dealer is telling me it will take a week or more to get that HJC flip-up in XXL for me and I don't want to wait that long to ride!

Most of my riding will be around town - especially for the first months and I don't want to spring for 2 hats right now. I want to spend my coin on the Givi trunk kit.

Al

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Spunkysquid said:
I buy my helmets from MotorcycleHelmets.net: http://motorcyclehelmets.net/yvs500/

The most recent I got is the HJC Symax Modular (flip-up).

Their prices are pretty good!
Wow! I didn't realize that HJC made a flip-up. I wear an HJC CL-14 full face, it fits me well, and it seems to be pretty good quality for the price. I just might go for the modular next time. Have you worn it much yet? Any particular likes or dislikes? I'm very interested.

·
Registered
9 Posts
HJC now makes two flip-up style helmets. The higher od the two is the sy-max and now this year they came out with a lower end one called a cl-max. They are super helmets, both of which come in several different colors.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
bama_burger_rider said:
They are super helmets, both of which come in several different colors.
Cool. The color to buy is always the last decision, and I tend to mess it up. Currently I have a yellow motorcycle, a blue scooter, and a wineberry color helmet. I could go with a neutral color like white, black or silver, but that's just no fun....

·
Registered
969 Posts
I have a white HJC flip-up that I got when I bought my DR. It's very noisy. Also, the ventilation seems to be pretty much ineffective, except as bug catchers. I paid $250. I think it was too much.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's mine!

I finally concluded all the paperwork and I am now the proud owner!

I won't get the bike until tomorrow - **** rain! :x

The dealer had one last Jarrow Convertible on his shelf in my size and the color I wanted - got a very good deal on it, I think. So, I'm all set to start learning to ride this thing.

Al

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
First ride! Amazing!

I will admit that I spent all day with butterflies in my stomach because my new scoot was going to be delivered and I was going to have to take that FIRST RIDE - would I crash in the first 5 minutes? would the power be more than I could handle? would I soil my underwear?!

None of the above! This thing is amazing smooth. The power comes on so gently (if that is your intent) and smoothly. It's a bit heavy for now and the turning radius is not too tight. So, for me, the worst parts were turning around in driveways - mostly my own. My friend told me that if I learned to handle the bike at 3mph, I could handle any speed and I now believe him. Without really even thinking about it I was leaning into the twisty bits and the bike was willing to do just about anything I asked (which wasn't much).

So, all you Newbies like me - take heart. This is a gentle giant and a little common sense will make your first rides as pleasant as mine!

In fact, I'm going back out for a second ride in just a few minutes! After the rush hour traffic subsides.

Al - Grinning from ear-to-ear!

·
Registered
719 Posts
pauljo said:
bama_burger_rider said:
They are super helmets, both of which come in several different colors.
Cool. The color to buy is always the last decision, and I tend to mess it up. Currently I have a yellow motorcycle, a blue scooter, and a wineberry color helmet. I could go with a neutral color like white, black or silver, but that's just no fun....
Get a helmet in a very bright color; mine is yellow like a street sign. Your helmet is the highest, most visible, thing you've got going for you on a bike. Give people in cars the best chance to see you amidst traffic.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep, good advice

I got a white helmet. I want some kind of extra visibility on it. At the least, reflective tape (in a tasteful design). I'm serious considering adding a velcro patch to attach one of the blinky lights thingies that are popular with bicyclists. Anybody use those?

Al

1 - 18 of 18 Posts