Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to add my very biased 2 cents about the three wheeled Burgman Based Eco-Exo-R. I built one as well. It is currently the only one registered in the US. This kit is easy to build, handles great, gets 65 MPG and goes like H---. I am 64 And I drive a 2004 Burgman 400. Among other things they are fun and fast. The ECO-EXO-R is not anything like a Can-Am, not even in the same ball park. It is a scooter based reverse trike capable of delivering a top end around 80 MPH. The answer to why? Is why not.

My ECO-EXO-R has a 2008 Burgman 400 engine, but older rims, brakes and gauge set? Here is the strange part about the build. The average price of a good used Burgman is less than $3000.00. Once all the useable parts are harvested the remaining parts and panels sell easily on Ebay, craigslist or where ever, reducing the cost of the donor. I personally bought a salvaged Burgman with less than 5,000 miles.

If you are looking at a pile of broken plastic and a twisted frame because of an unfortunate encounter with the road, sweep up the bits and pieces, haul them to your garage and order one of these kits, you will have fun building it, and much more fun driving it.:)
image.jpg

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Congratulation !

Very pretty bike, you do good work.

Would love to test ride your beautiful bike, it really kool machine.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Concerning the test ride... If you are ever in The Northeast you can come on down to Worcester Massachusetts. A test ride isn't out of the question. By the way, thanks for the kind words... My disclaimer is this: No operational Suzuki Burgman was harmed in the making of this vehicle... All were dead and almost buried.

Roger
Worcester, Massachusetts

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
My disclaimer is this: No operational Suzuki Burgman was harmed in the making of this vehicle... All were dead and almost buried.

Roger
Worcester, Massachusetts
:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I like the looks of your trike. Nice job.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Than you very much. I can put you in touch with the company if you want to start a build!

Roger
Worcester, Massachusetts

·
Registered
585 Posts
That looks outstanding. I'd love to have something like that - but with a 650 motor.

Yes - I like fast!

Post the info if it isn't a big secret!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
One of the few trikes I like! Beautiful, but why are you using it as a poinsettia planter? Lol.

·
Registered
585 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If anybody wants to order a kit, contact Kevin Patrick at [email protected], you can also go to these web sites: www.exomotive.com or www.eco-exo.com. Every detail about this kit is available on either or both web sites.

Now for the poinsettia in the seat with the American Flag.... It was my Christmas Card this year for my scooter and biker friends. By the way, I mentioned it before, but I do ride a 400 Burgman (on two wheels). I also ride a Victory Cross Country Tour and maintain two Honda GL1000 Goldwings. I am officially motorcycle poor and need to thin out my hobbies... That is if I listen to my better half.

The reason both Edward and I posted is that this trike has proven to be a great deal of fun to build and to ride. I speak to others that are building and we all share the same passion for what we are doing. Where better to spread the word than on a Burgman forum. This trike is available with handlebars or steering wheel, with a bucket seat, a Tillett go cart style seat or with the stock Burgman seat. The current design only accepts a 400 cc or smaller engine. Since the 650 has a swing arm the mount points for the engine and rear shocks would need to be re-engineered.

On a recent test run I accelerated to over 70 MPH with plenty of room left on the throttle. I am currently experimenting with a softer front coil over suspension. I installed Progressive brand shocks, with 120/170 pound springs over 14-1/4" Series 12 cartridges. The snow has postponed any test rides.

I posted 3 pictures in the gallery.. They are all I had in my ipad,but can post more later..

Roger

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Thank you for posting, look like blast to ride.

Can 2 ride comfortably in EXO ?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is only a single seater with the steering wheel option. If you choose the basic model with handlebars, then 2 good friends can ride.

Roger

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Very nice job you did there! ;)
I see a lot of variations of their kits when I ride up in Dahlanoga. They have a club that drives/rides them on weekends up there on the twisties. They are very cool and are personalized to the individuals desire. Some of their power plants are ridiculous. (not Burgmans) :cool:
It is good to see a local company doing their part to re-purposing bikes.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I don't see any reason why the 650 power train couldn't be grafted on - along with some old fashioned shade-tree knowhow. As they say - faster is better.

I'm tempted to start looking for a 400 or 650 donor...

·
Administrator
20,100 Posts
The problem of using a 650 is the long engine/CVT/swingarm set up. The rear frame would need extending or the engine slid up to the back of the riders seat after cutting the frame out in that area and rewelding in tubing. Mod's to the frame are not for the NOVICE welder......

This is Copart's web page for auctions. There are fees added to the final bid so be aware. Check back weekly as they do change inventory. If it says CT or any such on the title, in most areas you need a dealer/recycler/scrapper license. ST or BS is salvage and you do not need a license in most areas, YMMV.

400's http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch.html?criteriaType=fullTextSearch&returnPage=home&searchType=&isFromHomePage=Y&filterBaseLabel=AN400&oQuickSearch=Y&freshRequired=true&textSearch=AN400&textSearchType=AND&ftOptions=%2B&searchScope=i&txtAutoComplete=AN400

650's http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch...Options=+&searchScope=i&txtAutoComplete=AN650

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
By the way.. If anyone is using a salvage titled donor make sure you get the title, the insurance appraisal and bill or sale or reassignment of ownership....... Along with EVERY RECEIPT FOR EVERYTHING you buy.... The state inspectors for kit vehicles are strict about documentation right down to nuts and bolts....

·
Administrator
20,100 Posts
By the way.. If anyone is using a salvage titled donor make sure you get the title, the insurance appraisal and bill or sale or reassignment of ownership....... Along with EVERY RECEIPT FOR EVERYTHING you buy.... The state inspectors for kit vehicles are strict about documentation right down to nuts and bolts....
Very true, been there. Just a Ebay invoice will NOT get it done!!!! All real receipts must have the VIN and description on it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
AMEN Dave... AMEN!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
If anyone is serious about building/ordering an Eco-Exo-R kit and owns a 2003 - 2006 Suzuki Burgman AN400 they are willing to turn into a donor, then you will have a decent leg up on the process. If you have a 2007 and newer, then you will need front brake calipers, front single rotor rims, radiator, possible gauge set with plug pigtail and a few other pieces from the older models. The upper motor hanger from the older scooter can be modified to fit the newer motor, but the rear suspension mounts have to be cut off, new ones made and repositioned. Everything affects everything once you start modifying. Can a 650 be installed, yes it can, it will be the first one.... Bearing in mind the Burgman AN400 has 30+ horsepower. It is capable of over 80 MPH which is about the limit for the Eco-Exo-R.

My kit trike has a 2008 AN400 engine and wiring harness. It also has the 2008 electronics except for the speed sensor. That is a 2005. It has an imported 1999 dash gauge set, 2004 single rotor front wheels, 2005 front brakes and a 2004 radiator. The fuel delivery system is 2008, but I had to cut a notch from the fuel tank to allow clearance for the throttle body. The engine components and rear wheel, brake and so on are from the 2008. The 1999 gauge set is fully comparable with the 2008 sensors with the exception of the speed sensor for the speedometer. The color codes for the wires are actually the same with only a few easy to find exceptions.

All things considered, I could have used the 2008 dash, but the size was not proportional to the vehicle and the speedometer housing just looked to big. What I should have done was used a 2003 - 2006 donor, no welding, mo mods, only 1 wheel and 1 front caliper to buy.... Plus the gauge set would have worked just fine.

I do not know what sort of horror story would be told if someone installed a 650 engine, but I'd love to hear it if it was done.

Naturally there is more to building a kit than taking parts from a donor and seamlessly bolting them in place on the chassis. Unless you are patient and have a good wingman watching your back like I had then it can be arduous tedious and in general a nightmare. Building is a series of tweak nuances preceded by foul language and followed up with a large hammer...... But then it all falls together.... Somehow.

Edwardvb is a good man to have your back... None better, because of him, my Eco-Exo-R runs and runs well. Thanks Eddie...

Roger

1 - 20 of 30 Posts