Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had an Achilles Platinum 7 CT mounted on the rear of my 400 and a Hoop on the front and must say, my mechanic is incredible. If you are ever in Grand Junction and need some work, tell Ace at Grand Valley Power that Scott sent you. In the past, Ace quoted me $20 for a tire change, wheel off the bike. This time, I approached him about dark siding my 400. He said he had tried to dark side a scooter in the past without luck but, would be willing to try again. He even said he would charge the same he usually does, knowing there would probably be extra work involved. I told him I would pass on what has been reported here for pointers. One day later and, I had both tires back. As others, he put it in the sun, lubed the tire/rim (he was able to get it to seat with silicone spray), and had to take it to around 100 psi. He not only got them back to me quickly but, only ended up charging me $22 and change, including tax for both tires! I don't know if he'll give everyone such a deal but, you know he won't be outrageous.

So far, I have a mixed review after only a few miles. Generally, the handling and feel are good although, somewhat different. The only concern I have is a sort of low frequency wobble at interstate speeds. However, I also have a steering bearing going bad (it has formed a detent at center) and had tightened it some, as the front end was getting loose. I think this accentuated the influence of the detent and may be the cause of the wobble. I also want to experiment around with air pressures.

In the thread, "My First Rear Tire Change (winter day project)" the OP mentioned having to cut away some plastic on the underneath side of the seat box for the tire to clear. I found I was able to angle in the tire/wheel and, with a little shoving, force it past with no cutting. I also put new brake pads while things were apart.

Later in the day or perhaps, tomorrow I'm going to mount up my new GoPro 3+ Silver edition and try 'er out! (All getting ready for a Colorado tour with other maxi scoots, next month.)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wobble, I certainly would not think the Car Tire causes that (based on my use - now at about 7000 miles). I can turn loose of handle bars at any speed and runs straight and true. (That is with the original Equipment on front and nearly 13000 miles total on the OEM Front tire which is showing signs of cuping and wear on edges - lot of curvy rides around here).

As far as handling diference -- I say Negligible.
Yeah...I'm hoping/presuming at this point it will clear up when I get the new bearings in the front end. I'll know by next weekend.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now that they've scrubbed in some, I am noticing the handling getting better. Since I know I've got bearing problems, I'm going to leave it as-is until I change out the bearings and see how things are. After that, I'll play with the pressures if it seems necessary. Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, what a difference new steering bearings can make! So far, I'm pleased with the handling and performance except at 70+ mph, at which the bike still has a wobble. I'll play with rear tire pressures, now.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Paul - Pictures? Anyway, right now I'm at 35 psi. It has settled quite a bit and doesn't seem to want to oscillate at the smallest influence. However, I find if I jiggle the handlebar, it induces an oscillation that subsides after about three cycles of decreasing magnitude. This is only above about 65 to 70 mph. What is your experience at that speed and the pressure you are running?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I filled my Darkside with "ride on" balancer and sealer!
Chappy, how does it feel at 70-80 mph? I read somewhere the flat profile of the CT didn't fair as well as the round profile of the MT with balancers. What I read specifically had to do with the beads so, I don't know if it applies here as well.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry Paul but, as I am having the actual experience of the wobble, I think I am justified to "worry" about at least particular CT on a motorcycle and, some of the stuff kinda did sound offensive. Or, at least it makes me feel defensive. In any case, we're in the same camp regarding CT's but, I would prefer to get this figured out. I'll try a couple psi higher as you are running and, may try the Ride-On product. I've read some good things about it. Fortunately, relatively little of my riding is at Interstate speeds, as most of my higher speeds are at highway speeds of 60-70 mph, just below where the problem occurs.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I put in another couple psi in the rear tire and, didn't really notice a difference in the problem. However, after another spin at 75-80 (okay, I mighta pushed 90 for a short stretch) I am thinking it is more of an aerodynamic problem rather than tire related :dontknow: I can't do it tomorrow but, perhaps Thursday I'll take it again and video it and see what y'all think.

1 - 8 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.