Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Guys, it's often quite normal to get a wobble when increasing the width of the rear tyre (tire) on a bike or scooter. I had the same on my GSX1400 when I temporarily went to a 210/55 profile motorcycle tyre over the standard 195. Although the extra width was minimal, the profile was different and this too contributed to the wobble. A car tyre is normally even worse for this due to the more square cross profile. If you imagine for a moment, the width of the tyre is more and far more square, so as you ride over slightly uneven surfaces (that may look completely smooth to the rider) and small gravel for example, the tyre doesn't always maintain maximum even contact with the road. The tyre will often experience uneven upward pressure in the contact patch area as one side of the tyre goes over gravel or an uneven patch in the road. This induces wobble effect at differing speeds. It usually doesn't go away but you do get used to it. It's one reason we are not allowed to change our tyres to CT's or even larger profile bike tyres here in most of 'Urop'. Our own road transport research laboratory found CT's or in some cases larger profile than standard bike tyres had a derogatory effect on both roadholding and handling. This may not be for every combination of bike or tyre used but it was enough for the Government to ban them as in general, the public tends not to know what they are doing (not a dig at anyone here) and often end up doing stuff that can be very dangerous to their bikes. Not saying you've done that, but talking in general terms. The other thing I would mention is that putting 100psi into a tyre to seat it is just not a good idea. I would watch that tyre carefully as 100psi is likely to do internal damage to the bands and you may develop lumps and bumps in the tyre over time. The normal rule for seating is to not go over 50psi and on the standard Burgman tyres 35psi is more than enough. Car tyres you can go higher but usually not 100psi on a tyre of your size. Not trying to rain on your parade but do keep an eye on it.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.