Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello from Italy and another victim of the chirping sound.

The mechanic said it was a bit too loud to be acceptable and replaced belt and 3 nylon gears for the friendly amount of roughly 750 euros (nearly 1k in usd). He did show me the belt after and told it was che cause of the sound, explaining it was beginning to be a bit too scratched on one side only, at touch it actually was. After that, no more sounds, it was more audible when switching D/Power/M and rythmated only at idle in D.

His impression was that it was not predictable when the belt would have ripped causing possible worst damage around, however Im pleased I took there riding. Im not disappointed about the expense since I took it quite cheap. Somewhat expecting some arrangements to be done.

AN650 K5, with nearly 32k kms. Since Im not the first owner Id put my finger on how it was ridden before... probably not the way my mother would have done it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thanks for post and not many miles for a belt, but the replacement cost also doesn't seems as bad as some here have reported experiencing. At least now you know you are good to go for a long time.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
In my case the chirping was the input bearing wearing away the primary shaft. My '09 at 23,000 miles is making some shhh shhh shhh belt noise which should be expected over time though I am hoping to pull the CVT out and inspect it.

It's always nice to get the old parts back to see for yourself or even maybe post a few photos. Here's to many more smiles er miles of riding enjoyment.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aw, my bad didn't think about you guys at the time to take a photo of my former belt. The mechanic marked it with a "cross" to state died. To tell you, the belt is composed of many metal tiles put one over another with trapezoid section. Well, the corners on what was my understanding to be the internal side (to the wheel) of the belt, were coming up. Not all, and not regularly, making it feel at touch like a small chainsaw. On the other side, all straight and alligned with no usage sign visible at all. Can't tell if it was the regular shape, however, the scratched side had a different profile (maybe that is ok for the belt).

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Yes I like to have photos to look at, especially if its a problem we haven't seen before. The belts come with a cross printed on them for correct orientation (shown in the service manual) when installing them. Here's a photo of the one on my '06 at 62K mi on it.

·
Registered
567 Posts
In my case the chirping was the input bearing wearing away the primary shaft. My '09 at 23,000 miles is making some shhh shhh shhh belt noise which should be expected over time though I am hoping to pull the CVT out and inspect it.
This is a good way to describe the noise I am hearing!

http://youtu.be/M_wHKkf_y3U

1 - 9 of 9 Posts