Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
Is there any one who can answer some more questions about the 650?
Here is the first one. I looked at a Burgman and I saw they have air vents in the fairing. Like a car.
I asked the salesman if they would open and close but he did not know.
Do they? If not, how much cold air do you get in cool weather?
Next. I read that the Silverwing has vents that puts air into the radiator and then directs it along the engine and out a rear vent. Does the Burgman do the same, or is that even an advantage?
Thanks again for you help. JLD

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
HI JLD!
No the vents dont close and you dont notice any windflow through them. They appear to be more for rain water to drain off the dash.

As far as dierecting airflow into the radiator, the Burgmans cooling system is rock solid. The normal operating temp for the engine is 3 bars on the gauge and in 110 degree weather or 0 degree weather (wich I have ridden in) the engine never waivers from the same 3 bar temp. The body moulding directs the air flow over the motor nicely. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks allwalk. It seems people on this forum know much more about the Burgmans than any salesman I have talked to yet.
I really cant wait to test ride one. One dealership told me I could, although it will probably be in their parking lot. They seem to be pushing the Silverwing . Is it possible commissions are better from Honda?
Just curious. JLD

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
JLD said:
It seems people on this forum know much more about the Burgmans than any salesman I have talked to yet.
I really cant wait to test ride one. One dealership told me I could, although it will probably be in their parking lot. They seem to be pushing the Silverwing . Is it possible commissions are better from Honda?
Just curious. JLD
Well, we should know more. Some of us have put thousands of riding miles on them. Others have successfully performed their own maintenance. And we have also been exploring modifications to the windscreen, seat, additional luggage, lighting, etc., to make them even more suitable for each individual.

Just be careful of what conclusions you draw from a parking lot test ride. A Silver Wing might feel better than a Burgman 650 in a parking lot by virtue of its lighter weight. But out on the road, the Burgman wins hands down. It handles better, rides better, and has a far superior transmission. Also, coming off of a motorcycle, the big scooter felt kind of awkward at low speeds the first couple of days that I had mine. It felt much better at road speeds. Once I got used to the different level of handlebar input, and the way the transmission disengages at 7 mph, the low speed awkwardness disappeared.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Silverwing?

JLD: My Burgman was traded in to a Honda dealer. Its owner bought a Gold Wing (his friends all had them). Of course the Honda dealer was clueless about the Burgman, so I asked him to fetch the head of his service department to pinpoint the so called "diesel sound."

The guy, who has 25 years experience fixing motorcycles, listened to the sound while the bike was on the center stand, made a flat statement that it was not in the engine, then asked if he could take it for a test ride to make sure.

He was gone for twenty minutes. The dealer was still standing with us when the Service manager returned. The SM pronounced the Burgman OK, so I said I'd buy it. After the dealer left, the SM looked around to make sure no one was listening, and said, "This thing is way better than the Silver Wing, accelerates faster, handles better, stops faster. I'm impressed." He looked around again to make sure no one was listening, and said, "This is just between us, right?"

·
Registered
31 Posts
Silverwing verses 650

My son owned a silverwing and I rode it extensively for a couple of months. When he wrecked it on the freeway I went out and bought the Burgman 650. There is absolutely no fair comparison. The Burgman hadles bettr, is more stable and definately more comfortable o ride.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts