Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew it had to happen eventually and it did. Young girl here celebrating spring break on the beach decided to make a quick U turn and broadsided me before I knew it. Lucky my right leg was way forward on the running board because she buried her left front into the bike just below my right cheek. Busted the side of the fuel tank and as we cartwheeled down the road, it rained fuel. All it needed was a spark and would have been fireworks. There isn't a panel on the bike that isn't cracked or has severe road rash. Speaking of road rash, both knees, both elbows, back of hands just to go with the bruised ribs, sprained wrist and knee.

What surprised me was how easy that fuel tank ruptured. Hole is 4x4 on the right bottom corner. While waiting on the police I noticed a piece of plastic sticking out of the seat just under where my butt was. I pulled it out and it was 6 inches of her headlight lens that knifed into the seat.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Glad you are okay
Regular bike you might be minus a leg
You gonna hurt for a while

You might be feeling protective of the injured bits for a while...light motocross knee guards under regular pants and a armored shirt will let you ride cool and still protect the vulnerable bits.

Motocrossers have a huge range of gear that is light, cool and well armored.
I have ridiculously light gloves but the knuckles are fully armored.
Something like these - barely feel them on.

Give it some thought when you get back in the saddle.

I'm no atgatt rider but riding off road teaches the value of light armor in the wear spots which you seem to have ground a bit off of most of them. ;)

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Yikes! Sounds like you're a bit beaten up, but basically OK.

I think U-turns present the biggest risks because they are usually totally random. At an intersection, you know there is at least a possibility someone could make a left turn in front of you.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Glad to hear that you are basically okay. I understand about people and u-turns. Just had one do a u-turn into my lane the other day. I took the gutter and cleared their front end by about 4 or 5 inches. They slammed their brakes on after I cleared them. Gave them a dirty look and rode on.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Happy you are ok even if well bruise and scrape, probably be worst on regular bike. Hope get better quickly.

ATGATT

·
Registered
207 Posts
Glad you're okay, considering your garb sounds light and the wreck sounds bad.

Nothing prevents all the bad drivers from running us over all the time but consider a headlight modulator for your next ride. For my money it only has to prevent one of those incidents to make it worthwhile.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Glad you were not injured any more than you were.

First time I've heard of the tank on a 650 leaking as the result of a crash. I suspect something from the car penetrated through the bodywork and punched a hole in it. It is nestled inside the frame but there is really nothing protecting it from the side except plastic body panels.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
So sorry to hear about your crash. Take easy for a day or so. Concussions can take a while to present themselves. Someone I met fainted later in the day after a crash and busted his head on the way down. Get yourself checked out.

Feel better. Perhaps a new 650 is on its way.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Glade your ok hope you have a speedy recovery! I have perchased a complete riding suit a few weeks ago and have wore it on every ride sense it was perchased and its alot more comfortable than a thought it would be, I'll have to see how it dose on hot days but with all the liners out it shouldn't be to bad, you never know when that body protection will come in handy...

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
3 words ..........GET A LAWYER

Glad you're OK !

TheReaper!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Full riding garb is really not an option in our tropical weather. But then it would make losing weight easier. That is why most of my riding is down what we call Front Beach Rd. It's a slow ride along the beach with speeds of maybe 20-30 mph. I had probably reached the high speed of 15 when the girl hit me so that was probably my saving grace.
A friend and I had taken a long ride with our Burgmans that morning out in the country back roads and did wear leather and helmets. But back on the beach I had removed my jacket, gloves and helmet.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Same problem in tropical Australia - hot and humid

That why a mesh shirt and light knee pads under regular pants work fine even if I'm going down to the pool

Looks a bit odd but who cares
or you can throw a large Tshirt over the armored shirt and look like the hulk :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have ridden on Front Beach and Back Beach Roads in Panama City Beach. Both are very congested, especially Front Beach.. You are a very fortunate person considering the circumstances. It is good you were able to walk away with the minor injuries you incurred. I agree with everyone on this thread..... Get yourself checked, then get someone to represent you.

I retired from Tyndall AFB in 1987 and return occasionally to check things out. I agree it is HOT, HOT, HOT Riding. ATGATT can be tricky in the tropical climate of the Panama City. I bought a new Joe Rocket 3 layer armored jacket for this years riding season. It is good for cool/cold days or you can unzip the liner and utilize just the armored mesh in that hot relentless climate down south.

As a note, if you are inclined to remove your safety gear while riding, there are alternatives to heavy leather jackets chaps, and gloves. I would not and do not ever ride without a helmet, but if that is your choice.... Almost any helmet is better than none at all, including a skull bucket.... Just a thought for when you start riding your new Burgman.

I am glad you are vertical and able to tell us all you walked away with minor scuffs and only a little worse for wear.

Ride safe and dress for it....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Full riding garb is really not an option in our tropical weather. But then it would make losing weight easier. That is why most of my riding is down what we call Front Beach Rd. It's a slow ride along the beach with speeds of maybe 20-30 mph. I had probably reached the high speed of 15 when the girl hit me so that was probably my saving grace.
A friend and I had taken a long ride with our Burgmans that morning out in the country back roads and did wear leather and helmets. But back on the beach I had removed my jacket, gloves and helmet.
Sorry and glad you are ok, but you are lucky. Wrecks are much more likely in the riding you did without the proper protective gear rather than in the morning ride. It is hotter here than there but I would never even take a short ride without at least the helmet and gloves.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
So glad that you weren't hurt badly. Sharing your story is a great reminder to all of us how random things can happen. BTW, even though it gets hot in the summer, I wear gear that fits our climate, but is completely armored. Here's to a quick recovery, and perhaps a new Burgie.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Full riding garb is really not an option in our tropical weather.
With all respect not understand why not, it get in to mid 90's here in summer, still use Olympia Air Glide mesh jacket & pant with armor protection, wear motorcycle riding boot, Shoei Neotec helmet.
Yes it bit warmer than not wear these at all but still comfortable, perhap when this hot me stop bit longer each stop or perhap stop one or two time more per day but still wear ATGATT. If it get hot to point that could be unbearable me not ride, stay in air condition house, car or near pool.

Actually find ATGATT help body stay cool because sun not bake skin directly as when use short, t-shirt, sandal / running shoe, etc. , prefer to be little hot than be cover with scrape, burn, road rash, blood, sand/gravel, asphalt and other garbage that need be taken out of body and clean at hospital.

Very good article everyone must read:

http://www.getyourownbike.com/BrittanyMorrow.htm

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
3 words ..........GET A LAWYER

Glad you're OK !

TheReaper!
Wait to see if you need one. If they have low policy limits, you might get the limits without a lawyer. Why give away a third. The only people I distrust more than insurance companies are lawyers. I was an insurance adjuster for 31+ years and I found some really slimy lawyers. Most of the people I handled claims with that got lawyers would have netted more if they had not done so.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Can't comment on lawyers or otherwise since I'm from a country where this type of litigation is not usually required. Unfortunately though not all vehicles on the road are insured since NZ unlike Australia or even mainland China, does not require compulsory third party insurance, the latter of the two countries do, and that's an interesting position given that mainland China requires all petrol/gas/diesel vehicles for road use to have a type of compulsory third party insurance. Unfortunately not so for the cyclists, ebike or escooter riders, many of whom have no respect for any other road user, or seemingly any concern for their own well-being, if judged on their road/riding behaviour.

What I can say is that I'm a ATGATT rider 95% of the time, but in this part of mainland China in summer when temps are upwards of 40 degree Celsius and humidity is in the high eighties to ninety percentiles or more, then it gets really difficult to ride ATGATT, real difficult. I have mesh this and mesh that, and even elbow and knee protectors, but to wear these items can and does get real uncomfortable real quick, as i know it does in other hot locations. Just sayin...

I for one appreciate the need for ATGATT mantra and try to abide by it, but there are times where I simply relent to comfort if I want to continue riding rather than take my cage.
YMMV.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts