Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year I didn't stop on the way to Yosemite (except for gas)
Started this years annaul Sierra trip through Yosemite. Despite visiting the park annually over the past decade + I hadn't visited the vistor center, Ansal Adams gallary, muesum, or Federal Court house. I saw all of those except the Museum because it was closed. Mi-wok' indian houses below (behind the vistor center).

Next stop was the annual tradition of swimming in Tenaya Lake. It was cold but not as cold as I remember it a couple years ago I swam across. I knew there was construction on 120 through Toulame meadows but didn't know they took the road down to the dirt. Glad I didn't take it on the way back on Sunday... would have been a mess with the rain. Reminded me of a similar situation on the going to the sun road a few years ago during construction.

I did the June lake loop and spent the night at June lake campground.. (thanks Gray for not showing up). It got colder than I had thought in the early morning hours & I forgot to wear my beanie. June pie was excellent however it's a 30+ minute wait. Highly recommend the folding cot.

Next day I moved South and did the Mammoth loop. 1st detour was a couple mile gravel road to Inyo Craters. Gravel was a little loose in some areas but do-able. They were created through an eruption when ground water and lava combined 500+ years ago. The water at the bottom is green because its in contact with Lime stone down there. Take the trail as you enter instead of the one at the end of the parking lot if you don't want to hike as much.

Next stop was Earthquake crater where I met a VERY RARE dog -xoloitzcuintle. Unfournatly didn't grab a pic but the Jalisco lady said she brought it from Jalisco 6 months ago. Its the last remaining dog species (other than the Chihuahua) of the Old World (4,000+ years ago!!!).
Came back on Sunday by hwy 120.
I didn't bring any rain gear so instead of getting soaked I waited it out on the other side of the Sierras for a couple hours for the rain to pass.
Plant Automotive tire Vehicle Mountain Motor vehicle
Cloud Sky Plant Mountain Natural landscape
Motor vehicle Plant Hood Automotive tire Vehicle
Cloud Car Land vehicle Sky Building
Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Plant Leaf Botany Grass Font
Tree Leaf Wood Plant Bedrock
Water Water resources Mountain Bedrock Waterfall
Tire Plant Wheel Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I highly recommend the a lightweight folding cot. It fits under the seat and is far lighter than my other folding cot. I didn't use the tent but judging from the # of mosquito bites I have it might have been a good idea.
Plant Sky Plant community Natural landscape Mountain

Plant Plant community Tree Biome Grass

Cloud Sky Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle

June Lake Ski resort
Sky Cloud Wood Font Landscape

Motor vehicle Luggage and bags Bicycle accessory Automotive tire Bag

June Pie
Food Pizza Ingredient Recipe Tableware

White Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Plant Automotive lighting Vehicle

Saw this at Grocery Outlet in Bishop. Owner said they bought it like that.
Wheel Tire Sky Land vehicle Vehicle

Windshied extender is staying on there and reduces buffeting but not as much as a taller Clearview or Givi which I'm thinking of upgrading to.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After visiting the 4,000+ year old trees at Bristlecone forest I rode south to Mount Whitney. From Lone Pine to Mount Whitney I saw the high temp warning light when I turned it off and full heat bars. Fournately not the same issue the other guy is having who is travelling cross country. Not unexpected after going 40-50 mph uphill to 8,000 ft base elevation of Mount Whitney.
Water Ecoregion Tree Natural landscape Bedrock

Sky Car Tire Wheel Mountain

Sky Mountain Plant Bedrock Natural landscape

Sky Cloud Mountain Slope Terrain

Sky Mountain Cloud Slope Natural landscape

Cloud Sky Plant Ecoregion Mountain

Organism Font Newsprint Paper Illustration

Sky Cloud Plant Mountain Natural landscape

Plant community Plant Larch Natural landscape Water

Cloud Sky Mountain Plant Natural landscape

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Homful cot. I don't know if the supports being a U was a design feature but it worked out very well even when I slept on the pinic tabl. The tree is a Bristlecone Pine tree. Its over 3,000 years old. The roots stay very close to the surface to catch the water before it evaporates. It was the tree that carbon dating was 1st calibrated with.
Plant community Plant Ecoregion Leaf Natural environment

Correction. I think the sign said the twisted trees are a similar species of pine trees (around the same age as the bristlecone) while the straight trees are bristlecone.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Inyo Craters caused by explosion when ground water met the upcoming Lava between 500-600 years ago. The green water is due to the Lime stone. According to the sign no Lava reached the surface otherwise you see the Lava rocks. There is another one of to the left but I forgot about it until I saw the trail map at the begining of the hike and didn't want to hike the 0.5 miles back. It was also very hot. 😓
Water Plant Water resources Sky Nature

Sky Plant Ecoregion Cloud Natural landscape

Sky Plant Plant community Natural landscape Cloud

Sky Plant community Ecoregion Plant Natural landscape

World Font Wood Tree Art

Mammoth turns into a bike park during the summer.
Sky Plant Tree Biome Slope

I saw most of these on the way to Mount Whitney.
Map World Font Atlas Parallel

Water Sky Mountain Plant Natural landscape

Font Line Wall Signage Writing

Half Dome
Sky Cloud Mountain Natural landscape Atmospheric phenomenon

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Before I left I did an oil change but didn''t get the filter from Amazon until the day before so I changed it fast without adding more oil. Soon after leaving I saw the low oil light (I think it happened because I was leaning in which reminds me to change the Shinko rear back to the Bridgestone) so I stopped at Walmart and bought a 1quart of 10w-40 Walmart brand oil and added 300-400ml until it read full. Checked it frequently and it was right at the full mark.
I found the Homful Cot on Amazon did you get the kit with legs or just the basic low-rider?
Without the legs. It appears they changed the design of the legs but after looking at the pic of what I bought its the same. If any of you want to borrow mine in the Bay Area Cali let me know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts