Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello burgman riders. I have a 2012 400 abs. Here is my issue that a trip to the repair shop couldn't fix because it didn't show on the computer when they connected it. Honestly I get a cruddy attitude for the shop every time I've gone in so it just pushed my to do most things myself. The light doesn't go off until about 20 mph and then usually stays off for about 5 miles. One odd thing I notice is that sometimes (doesn't matter time of day) when I start my bike the first few miles my front brake lever is very hard to pull. It's almost jittery but I can force it with a lot of strength. This usually lasts about 1 minute the it's fine. It won't occur again until the next day, and it does happen all the time. While my break is acting up I can hear a super high pitched screeching sound. It's a very quiet and I didn't notice it at first. It kinda sounds like an old internet dial up modem. With the screeching are very rapid clicks. So I'm guessing it's the abs triggering. This sound come whether I'm pulling the brake or not. If I hear the sound it's hard to pull the brake, no sound no problem. This makes me think that the abs computer is glitching. I've checked the disks for the abs sensor and they are not bent. I've check their distance to the sensor and they are correct. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Just to be clear, when the ABS light is on the brake are fine. When the ABS light is off, the brakes are acting up. Had a similar issue with my 400 rear brake but it turned out to be the rear axle nut loosening.

When you say the gap is fine, did you actually check it with a feeler gauge. Mine didn't look all that spaced out but it was. The difference between working or not was 1/32 to 1/16 of an inch.

I don't have a service manual (gross oversight) but I'm pretty sure there is a procedure to check the sensor. I'm pretty sure it's just checking for an AC voltage of a specified magnitude when you spin the wheel. If I were a betting man, I'd bet on the sensor. Mostly because it is bound to be cheaper than the ABS controller. Before I did anything else, I'd get real particular about the gap. The predictable behavior of staying on until 20+mph, not staying off long gives me a warm fuzzy about the controller behaving consistently. The noise is likely the AB doing its thing. My loose wheel nut had the added symptom of the ABS light being more prone to occur on right hand turns and the ABS turning off sooner in left hand turns from a stop. I think I've also heard of wheel bearings having and effect on ABS operation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response. The problem was resolved, hopfully when I got my front tire replaced. I took it in to get a new front tire and when I got it back it was working fine. Don't know the solution but no more problem is great.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts