Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sitting in front of my computer this morning when I got a call from my local Suzuki/Honda/Yamaha dealer. It seems as if I have a reputation that even if I can't do much work on my bikes any more (medical problems) I know a lot about several bikes (the Burgman 650 being one). It seems as if they had a bike in at the dealership for repair that they couldn't figure out. After talking on the phone with their service manager for a few minutes, I told them I would come in and look at the bike myself (he had been told to call me by the owner, a long time friend).

On arriving I found that they had a standard 2004 Burgman with about 8,000 miles on it. Before even starting it, we pulled the stopper bolt. It was almost pristine with only a small nick on it. Started the bike and I heard the infamous dieseling noise. We then took the bike out and ran it up and down the parking lot. The bike sounded like it had the main shaft bearing going bad in it as well. Told the service manager that the CVT needed opening and possible bearing replacing as well as probably a polish adapter. We discussed how many hours of labor was going to be involved even with pulling the CVT with the engine left in the bike. He called the owner and the owner is going to trade the bike on a new left over 2013 they have on the show room floor. Not sure what they are planning to do with the 2004 they are getting. They did ask if I was interested in it but I told the I think I was going to pass.

So, it looks like another Burgman will be parted and expect it will show up on Ebay as parts soon.

Doug from Kentuky

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
WOW ! 8000 miles ? I think that might be a record early demise ? Any one know of an earlier one ?

TheReaper!

·
Registered
66 Posts
The one I recently bought (06) had started acting up for original owner about that time. He was on record w/ Suzuki dealer and they looked it over and said it was ok. Finally went out at 22,500 costing him $4,000+. No was should Suzuki have been let off hook for that but he didn't press it.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Could be rust, or the grease in the bearing may have liquified and drained out - especially if the bike was sitting somewhere it could get hot (like outside or in a garage). I've seen that happen to trailer bearings, where repeated hot and cold cycles will cause the bearing grease to separate and leak out.

Letting any vehicle sit is one of the worst things you can do. Gasoline acts as a solvent, rust forms, grease solidifies, and seals dry out. Internal combustion engines need to be run to keep them in good condition. That's why I'm a fan of those museums that actually take stuff out and run it around; it will need to be maintained and rebuilt, but that's the nature of machines. Funny, people are that way, too.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
8,000 miles in pretty low but then again I don't know the history of the bike. Perhaps a water ingested flood related failure? I'm sure they will wholesale it to a junker.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Could be many reason for this, several have been mention, 8000 mile in 11 year not much mile per year.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a little more information I got from the dealer. The bike set in the garage most of it's life. The owner has MBS (Multiple Bike Syndrome) a condition many of us suffer from. He just didn't ride it much as he had other bikes he liked better at the time. He is aging now and is finding that he can't mount and dismount his other bikes as easily as he once did so started riding the Burgman more recently. So, that is the story as told to me. Not sure how accurate it is.

I asked the dealership to pass on the link to BurgmanUSA to him so hopefully he will join us here and tell us the story right from the horses mouth so to speak about the bike. He is buying a new Burgman 650 according to the dealer so he should be an ideal candidate for membership here.

Doug from Kentucky

1 - 8 of 8 Posts