Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My fist time on the forum, I've had a Burgman 125 for three years now but only been using it to commute to work, have recently upgraded to a burgman 400 and I love it :lol:
Now it's any excuse to ride it, even in this freezing cold british weather.
i work in IT for a local construction company and have lived here on the outskirts of cambridge with my wife and three children for the last seven years...think i'm starting to bore you..
Anyway excellent forum :D

·
Registered
969 Posts
Welcome, Wischer!

Please allow me to warm my hands over your little fire. (It's c-c-cold out!)

Steve

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Wischer. Glad to have you join us.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
welcome aboard! Congratz on the new upsized burger!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
WELCOME to the group! Congrats on the 400!

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Wischer

Welcome to the Forum. :hello2:

We have a very high boredom threshold when it comes to Burgmans. :wink:

How about telling us about your experience with the 125 and contrasting it with that of your new acquisition. What 400 do you have BTW?

Glad you found us. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Wischer said:
Hi all,

have lived here on the outskirts of cambridge with my wife and three children for the last seven years...think i'm starting to bore you..
Anyway excellent forum :D
Welcome Wischer,

My Mother in law is from Cambridge,(now living on this side of the pond).

Best of luck with the new Burger.

Alan

·
Registered
33 Posts
Welcome to the forum Wischer. An endless source of sound Burgman info.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Congrats on the 400 and welcome to the forum 8)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow what a warm welcome, Thanks :)

Before I first acquired my 125 Burgman 3 years ago, I had been riding various 50cc bikes. And i still remember the day when I first walked into my local Suzuki dealer and saw it for the first time (It was a love at first sight thing).

At the time I felt 125 was more than adequate for my needs as I was only doing a round trip of 6miles (9.65km) daily and wanted just that little extra power to keep up with local traffic. Weekends was great for driving into Cambridge and parking it literally anywhere, they tend to charge extortionist prices parking your car anywhere in Cambs.

Only thing I didn’t like was travelling down the A14 into Cambridge (two lane traffic travelling at over 60mph/96.5kph).

If you could imagine this - entering the slip road on the Burgman 125, throttle fully open, gradually reaching a speed of 60mph/96.5kph, looking to find that gap between the lorries before joining A14, wind turbulence (from lorries) threatening to throw you off your bike, death grip on handle bars, just managed to slot in-between two lorries, still at full throttle and she’s giving me 65-70mph/104-112kph, just enough to overtake the lorry in front of me, still got that death grip on the handle bars, I’m passing the lorry and compensating for crosswinds, oh no its now slightly uphill, I’m losing speed, lorry next to me is pulling past me, the car behind me wants to overtake, still got that death grip, I’m willing the engine to give it more, road evens out and I eventually manage to overtake the lorry, I ease up a bit on the death grip and I finally get into Cambridge, this is where the Burgman 125 comes into her own element.

The 125 is a fantastic town bike and excellent when filtering through traffic, cheap to run, cheap insurance, road Tax only £15 – perfect.

However after three years I felt I needed something with a little more power and wanted to travel slightly further out and that’s when I started looking at the bigger Burgman. Conscious of the fact that I wanted to still keep the transport cheap I looked at the 400 and the 600.
Funny thing is once I had my first Burgman I was converted, what ever I rode next was going to be a Burgman (Why is that?).

Anyhow I looked at the 650 and the 400 at the same time. I test drove the 400 and thought this is more like it, acceleration was faster than most hatchbacks and comfortably cruised at 75-80mph/120-136kph. (Don’t tell anyone, I did quickly take it up to 97mph/156kph J). Having only experienced the 125, you could imagine the grin on my face after the ride.

Anyhow I did look at the 650 but didn’t ride it (Did sit on it though), and thought crumbs this is wide. I had visions of filtering through traffic in town on this bike, and ripping wing mirrors off other cars.
With the extra insurance hit and £60 road tax and for what I was going to use the bike for, I decided the 400 was for me.
Funnily enough I didn’t want to ride the 650 at that point because I was afraid that the 400 wouldn’t feel that special anymore after experiencing a 650. (If you know what I mean).

I ended up buying a second hand AN400-K2 with 10,000 miles on the clock and had service history, Paid £2000 for it. Did consider new at £4,500 but will perhaps consider this at a later date.

Ok the insurance went up by another £40 and road Tax went up to £30 annually (sacrifices do have to be made), but I find travelling down the A14 is a heck of a lot safer than doing it on my 125.

I don’t seem to experience all this wind turbulence and overtaking is a breeze, if anything it makes me feel more confident on it and I’m not gripping the handlebars too tightly :lol:

I’m not sure what I’m getting to the gallon at the moment but I do seem to be filling up more often than I used to on my 125.. probably because I’m driving it on longer distances J.

Anyhow thanks again for the great welcome and I will contribute whenever I can, I’m no bike guru (haven’t got a clue how to service the bike myself-may give it a go though next year if I find the time).

Keep scootin’

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Wischer said:
Wow what a warm welcome, Thanks :)
Yeah ... we're a friendly bunch. :)

Wischer said:
Funny thing is once I had my first Burgman I was converted, what ever I rode next was going to be a Burgman (Why is that?).
Burgman riders are often devoted group. Just look at the speed which this forum has grown. ;)

Wischer said:
I didn’t want to ride the 650 at that point because I was afraid that the 400 wouldn’t feel that special anymore after experiencing a 650. (If you know what I mean).
I know exactly what you mean. When you get the chance, read through this thread :

Confession of a 400 rider

Wischer said:
Anyhow thanks again for the great welcome and I will contribute whenever I can, I’m no bike guru (haven’t got a clue how to service the bike myself-may give it a go though next year if I find the time).
A lot of us aren't gurus, but still contribute to the forum as we can. Again, we're glad to have you aboard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts