Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As promised, Bkb article here -> Link

*Note, the 650 EXEC requires some extra work for panel removal due to the movable screen carriage that I couldn't illustrate with my standard 650. So be prepared :(

Some comparison photos between a stock panel and one with recolored trim, white backlighting and led indicator lamps.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Looks great. So, which was easier, the 650 or the 400 :lol: . I'm still cussing that darn exacto knife :lol:

The #'s on the RPM are much more clearer with the white.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh the 650 by far :lol:. Yet, still can't get away from the exacto knife :lol:

·
Registered
1,197 Posts

I'm going to have to save up my pennies and take a ride down to the river from Circleville to look you up. I'd like something like that done to my Burgman 650. That looks great! I'll bet it shows up better in the daytime and at night. Do you do work like that for other people?

Happy Scøøterïng!
rtÅnïmal

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few more daytime pics of the white panel can be seen here ->Link

As far as doing work, yes, I have done a few things from time to time on the 400's and another scooter part. If you're within riding distance of me then stop on by over a weekend sometime if you need help doing some things. PM me for further details on that...

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Thanks for the info! I'm definitely interested in doing something similar to that to my scooter. I've never opened up one of the these gauge heads before. I use to do some internal work on mobile CB's and car stereos. Mostly fixing cracked printed circuit boards and replacing burnt out resistors. If I got bored in a truckstop with a oversized load, I'd put talkback in other drivers CB's for $10. I just don't have any knowledge of the insides of these.

Happy Scøøterïng!
Ånïmal

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is a very impressive mod. I have looked over your other pages including the walk-through and will have to be doing this myself once tax season has passed. These stencil sheets you used are basically just overhead transparencies which were effectively coated so they were as transparent and 'spread' out the light?

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The stencil sheets I got have a bit more thickness to them then your typical inkjet overhead transparencies. They are about identical to the thickness of the original insert and are more opaque than the inkjets in their uncoated form.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Yeah!! that's much better then that Green Background i wonder why Suzuki chose that color and still selling them like that, :?
But the whole Operation should not be to hard to Do,

Sean did you ever think of doing those Plastic reflectors as well with something a little fancy all so , the stuff on there now looks like street light covers material, FI,GAS,TEMP,D,1 2 3 4 5,OD

and Sean, is a Do It Your self Plan, for the material Cheaper then the 400.

Elliott,

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, If I had to attempt to place myself in a Suzuki engineer's shoes talking to a production manager then the green background is the best color that would save on production costs using regular incandescent lighting. It's speculation but that's what i'd think. I'm not sure as to the reference about reflectors. Do you mean adding reflectors behind where the indicators are? Or are you referencing the optical filters behind the indicator overlays? As far as associated material costs between the 400 and 650, here's the breakdown of the changeable components:

trim - spray paint or vinyl dye to change color
leds (6 smt) - requires desoldering to change colors, smts cheaper from here ->Link
layout - done using multiple layers of inkjet transparencies

trim - spray paint or vinyl dye to change color, black sharpie or white paint pen needed for lettering on trim
lamps (18) - no soldering involved, bulb types more expensive
Indicator overlays - requires multiple layers of inkjet transparencies but much less printed area

So, the summary of the two is the 400 requires more work and ink to change it up, but the 650 is more expensive to do because of the number of socketed led bulbs and the addition of lettering on the trim that needs redone after painting.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Then you better go ahead and Get started Soon on the 650's i found a Few 650 Web sites where afew people are looking to Change that Green out.. :thumbup: :D

get you somemore of those USPS Mail Packets and have your self a Good old time. :lol: :lol:

But you did not have to change the Leds, or was the leds Green.

type to ya later

Elliott,

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just shipped a set of white inserts with some of the parts I just sold but I'll sell em for $15.00 + ship I'd say.

Regarding your leds question, the 650's instrument panel uses incandescent bulbs instead of the smt leds like the 400. So any color has to be achieved through optical filters or through subtractive means like the green inserts behind the lcds. All I did was replace the stock incandescent bulbs with led ones matched to whatever filter they were going behind. There's an image in the tutorial that shows what the colors are and where. I left the filters in to distribute the light better across the indicators.

·
Registered
55 Posts
another ? about the dash color change

The pictures look great and I did not notice the LED change until you mentioned it. The only question I have is do the LED's cause a little distraction to your eyes:nerd now when riding at night because they are so bright in your face or is that something that you do not even notice. I will have to try to find this link to your walk through and take a peek at that info. Thanks again for your response to this post and answers to all the great members on this site.:wink

·
Registered
55 Posts
I talk to techartguy today and got some good info from him (thanks) and I forgot to ask him what style or series # bulbs do I replace on the instrument cluster . Let me make myself a little more clear, the burgman has light bulbs that came in the instrument cluster and I want LED bulbs now and when I go to SUPERBRIGHTLED.COM they need to know the bulb # or bulb series. Example: they offer bulb 74, bulb 24, bulb B8, mini wedge, etc. So can anyone tell me what bulb I need?

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
13 Posts
I always do this. As soon as I post a question, I find the answer. Found the thread by techartguy (thanks dude!). Haven’t finished reading it, so I’ll *try* to refrain from asking another question unless someone has a template we can modify and print. Hahaha! :laughing6:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts