Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

MY 650 does not start instantly, but takes 2 or 3 full turns (compression strokes) before starting.
This surprises me since every other vehicle with Fuel Injection and electronic ignition I've tried, usually starts on first compression stroke.

I took the bike in for the 30k service last week and mentioned this, but the service made no difference. The mechanic said "probably due to a weak battery".

OK, so he could be right, but there are no other symptoms and the starter spins merrily enough.

Anybody got another idea beefore I fork out for a new battery?

:confused:

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Mine usually starts as soon as the starter engages. Your problem could be a number of things a weak battery being one of them. Before I forked over money for a new one I would find someone that can test your current one for you.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Buffalo, I can do most stuff like that myself but won't have time for weeks, I'll see if I can borrow a battery somewhere.

The problem isn't that serious, but if it's on the blink I don't want a failure in the wilderness.

I really wanted to know if the situation was normal, and your reply suggests that it is not.

·
Registered
255 Posts
A worn set of spark plugs can cause this as well.

Greg

·
Registered
75 Posts
Like Buffalo's, mine starts almost instantaneously. I agree that having your battery checked is probably a good idea.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have a 2009 Executive and mine takes a couple of revolutions before it catches like the OP's. I have owned it for a little over a year and it has always started like this. <shrug>

Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
My 09 generally starts a 2 or 3 revs. when cold and generally instantly when warm.

·
Registered
753 Posts
A worn set of spark plugs can cause this as well.

Greg
What I was thinking too. Sure sounds a lot more likely to me than a battery. If your battery has enough grunt to spin the engine smartly there should be way more than enough juice to light the sparkplugs. With todays electronic ignitions even a low battery should not have anything to do with out much spark that it is getting.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Should start in one crank, in principle. Could be several things -- weak fuel pump, dirty air filter or injector, out of tune engine controls, and lastly the battery.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Should start in one crank, in principle. Could be several things -- weak fuel pump, dirty air filter or injector, out of tune engine controls, and lastly the battery.
Four of us have them where I live and they all crank a couple of times on cold starts. 05,06,07,09.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
See my signature: "Whir-chirp-chirp, purr..."

Two compression strokes, maximum, when the battery's good. More than that and I start to suspect a weak battery.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well thanks for all the feedback everyone!
I have the full service history for the bike and can see that the battery has not been changed in the last three years.

Since I no longer have a car (I scoot all year) I need to be able to rely on the Burgy, and since I have very little time available I'll change the battery first (changing sparkers looks to be a nightmare and they are the iridium type).
Personally my money is on the injectors - but I'll bet they cost a pretty penny!

·
Registered
169 Posts
My 07 with nearly 96k starts instantly and has a new battery.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Could also be a starter itself, thou i doubt it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts