Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

AN650-Valve Tappet Inspection with Pictures

24K views 40 replies 13 participants last post by  ASpring6 
#1 ·
Hopefully this will aid,assist, or answer most questions in regards to the 650 Valve tappet inspection. The first part requires removal of almost all the front body work. I decided to do this as thoroughly as possible and some photos may seem basic or redundant.

1. Start with the removal of the maintenance lid Photo

2. I then went on to the removal of the leg side covers (left and right)Photo

3. Next is the removal of the handle bar covers. Remove the lower portion first Photo With fastners removed pull bottom section towards you the rider as in this Photo

4. Now remove the 2 fastners that secure the top portion of the handle bar covers and pull up. See Photo

5. Now you are ready to remove the front panel. Remove all fastners depicted in this Photo and pull towards you as the rider. There are a couple of plastic tabs below the ignition switch that offer some minor resistance.

6. I then took off what Suzuki refers to as the front leg shield cover Photo. This piece is only held on by 5 tabs as seen in this Photo. They seem to hold quite securely. What I did was push from the backside while trying to pry up at the corners.

7. Now on to removal of the leg shield or main front fairing that holds the headlights. Remove fastners depicted in this Photo , both sides.

8. Now is the time to disconnect 4 electrical connections as in this Photo

9. Next I removed what Suzuki calls the lower leg shield but would be better reffered to as the radiator frame/cover. Located in behind the front wheel and held by 2 fastners and 2 bolts Photo

10. Now there are only 4 bolts that still secure the main front fairing. There are 2 located down low in the radiator area adjacent to the last piece you just removed. I failed to capture these 2 bolts on film. Remove these 2 bolts now. Now proceed to the remaining 2 bolts in this Photo. You can now carefully pull the front main fairing away. I found it easier with the mirrors folded in.

11. The next piece of tupperware to be removed is the front box. Open the main glove box and remove the 2 bolts seen in this Photo Next you need to remove the emergency brake handle as explained in this Photo Now the only thing remaining is to remove the wiring plugs from the accessory outlet in the glove box. You can use this Photo as a refrence for wire postioning when it comes time to reassemble. The front box is now ready to come away. This required some fidgeting to get the tabs out at the floor board area and around the maintenance lid area.

12. Your machine should now look like this Well except I have also removed the windscreen.

13. With all the front body panels off it is now time to drain the radiator of coolant and remove it from the bike. First remove the rad cap and then the small drain plug at the front bottom as in this pic. Now remove all upper and lower rad hoses as depicted in previous pic. Now disconnect the electrical fan connector as illustrated in the previous pic. Finally remove the 3 bolts and the rad is ready to be removed from the machine.

14. Now you have your first full view of the valve cover. First remove both spark plug caps and then the plugs themselves. Nest disconnect the electrical connector to the right of the cover as seen here. Now remove the 2 hoses at the top of the cover as illustrated in the pic. Remove the 4 screws and you are almost ready to pull the cover off. View this picture first before you start to pull off the cover. Once you've viewed the photo and read the text on it , proceed with removal of your valve cover.

15. Well congratulations if what you are staring at resembles this picture you are now staring at the valves.....sort of. The bank of 4 on the top are the intake and that means the 4 on the bottom are exhaust. There clearly marked in the photo as IN and EX

16. So you ask now what? Well now we have to get to the crank shaft so that we can move the valve train into its proper postion for checking. Where is this adjustment? Look here.
Suzuki wants us to remove this footboard but that requires removing the side panels trunk . I found if you remove the 2 bolts in the picture and the other 2 bolts on the rear footboards you have enough room to get at the crank adjustment port as seen in this picture.Now remove that black cover bolt to reveal the hiding spot for the crank adjustment bolt.

17. Now in a clockwise motion you need to turn the crank and line up the engraved groove with the notch on the frame in the 2 o'clock position as in this picture
You will notice that mine is off just a touch but that was in order to take the next photo and clearly show the marks you are looking for on the cam gears.

18. Now look at your cam gears and you are looking for the timing marks to line up as in this picture If you look at the picture I have the timing marks highlighted in white. If you need a closer look just click on the picture again and you will get a zoomed in shot.Take note that the gear on the left has an A pointing up or in the regular readable position on the center hub. If you look to the right gear you will see that there is a highlighted #1 just above the engine casing. The lines on the center hub want to be paralled with an imaginary line shown in red If this is what you see on your machine you are ready to check the valves on cylinder #2 ( the right cylinder as if you are sitting on the machine as the rider. If this is not what you see and your Ais inverted , then you need to move the crankshaft a full 360 degrees and realign the timing marks.

19. Now you are ready to measure your tolerances. Don't forget there are 2 intake and 2 exhaust valves. You do one cylinder and then we will move on to the #1 cylinder. Here is a pic of me checking the clearances on the #1cylinder intake valves. picture

Tappet Clearance (when cold)
Standard: IN : 0.10-0.20 mm (.004"-.008"]
EX : 0.20-0.30 mm (.008"-.012"]

20. Now that you have checked the #2 cylinder valves we can go onto the other cylinder.

Go back and turn the crank a full 360 degrees so that the timing marks match the ones in this Photo I did not highlight the timing marks in this picture. Take note , Now the A is inverted on the center hub on the left side gear. Also note on the left side gear the #2 is now visible just above the engine casing. Remeber that a #1 on the right gear means you check the valves on the 2nd cylinder. #2 on the left gear means you check the tolerances on the 1st cylinder as in this pic.

Well folks that is it for the inspection stage. My tolerances were all just fine so I do not need to make any adjustments to the shims.

Allwalk's Tolerances
Cylinder #2 : IN .007 & .007, EX .009 & .010, Cylinder #1 IN .007 & .006 ,EX .011 & .010

As you can see at 20,000 kms my valves are near the upper end of the allowable tolerances as indicated by Suzuki. Unfortunately this means I will not be going through the procedure at this time on removing the camshaft and replacing the shims. I'm quite happy with my findings and see no problems in riding this machine untill next winter when I will perform this task once again. Now it's time to reassemlbe my lardy steed in the reverse order of above instructions. I will install new coolant in the machine and not coolant that I drained out.

One other thing worth mentioning are the spark plugs condition when I removed them. They were in excellent shape with the same .028" gap in them that they had when I put them in at the 6000 km check. I cleaned off what tiny carbon deposits there were and will reinstall them for another 6000 kms or so.

If you tackle this project and need any assistance don't hesitate to e-mail or PM me and I will try to answer your questions.

The torque numbers for reinstalling the valve covers are:

first tighten all 4 to 10 N-m (7.0 ft lbs)
then reset and tighten all 4 to : 14 N-m (10.0 ft lbs)

Hope this helps you all

See less See more
#3 ·
Ok everyone I have finished my pictures and write up on the 650 valve tappet inspection. I hope some of you may get some use from my findings and my report. Thanks to you all for your patience.

#4 ·
Brilliant -thanks Allan.
I note you have a lift under the bike.
Is that absolutely a requirement (can you drop the rad out without it?)?
NormanB

#7 ·
Norm the lift is not a necessity, it is probably harder to use as you have to remove the exhaust to use it. This job is probably better performed on the center stand.

Roy, yes you are rotating the crankshaft with the bolt, thats why it is necessary to remove the spark plugs. This permits the adjustment to be made with out the compression in the cylinders. It turns over very easily with the plugs out. I imagine it would be a chore to turn over with the Burgmans high compression.

#9 ·
allwalk said:
Ok everyone I have finished my pictures and write up on the 650 valve tappet inspection. I hope some of you may get some use from my findings and my report. Thanks to you all for your patience.
Allwalk

Fantastic photos and write up! Can't believe you are thanking us for being patient - we all thank you for all the effort that went into this !!

You are da man !!

#18 ·
I will have a go.

Done it.

I started doing this rather painstakingly and it was taking too long (checking I had the right pic for the text). Then I noticed the format of the new gallery references compared to the old (I have emboldened the differences)

http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/allwalk/album09/650_valve_5.jpg.html

http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/album09/650_valve_5

so I did a mass cut and paste job.

Allan pse check there are no errors in terms of the correct picture with the correct text. :)

#21 ·
I haven't seen it documented on here. I haven't had to adjust mine but I did do the valves on a Honda that also had bucket and shim type valves. You do have to remove the cams to get to the buckets that hold the shims. You remove the bucket and change out the shims to thicker or thinner ones as needed to close or open the gap to the correct spec. Not a diffcult thing to do but you do have to pay attention to make sure you get the cams positioned back correctly.

#22 ·
I'm about half way through my own valve job and will be getting new shims for three out of four of my exhaust valves. Though not out of spec yet they are at the extreme end so would rather just do them now and have things balanced again for awhile.Going to plan on setting them mid range as all the others are there.

Ended up using the deep well socket/Flathead screwdriver/quick clamp method on the tensioner as shown here-> viewtopic.php?p=522132#p522132.You can also get the "special tool" 09918-53810 or find a small enough piece of wire to hold the lock in place but din't have either on hand :(. How to do it is a pain but it does work. Take a flat head screwdriver and push on the top of the small silver block above the spring. It will rock backward releasing the adjuster pin then using the deepwell socket push the spring up. Now for the tricky part. While holding up the spring with the deepwell use the quick clamp to secure the the socket in place so the spring doesn't move. You have to make sure it remains compressed during all this or the adjuster will just move down and re-tension the cam chain again.

Now, before taking the camshaft journal holders off place an oil pan underneath otherwise you'll have oil all over the floor from whats left in them. Be sure to wipe of an area on the cam gears and chain and mark them with a sharpie or something to make sure the alignment is absolutly perfect when replacing them. if they're off by even a cog then the timing will be off and engine damage is very likely.

Once I had the camshafts out I used some bar magnets I had lying to remove the buckets as my fat fingers couldn't grasp em.

In the #2 cylinder, the one exhaust valve had a 175 shim on it and the two exhaust valves on #1 had 178s. So I'm putting a 170 on #2 and two 173s on #1.

Here were my measurements

My clearance specs at 24738 mi left to right

#2 Cylinder IN 1 .006” IN 2 .006” EX1 .008” EX2 .010”

#1 Cylinder IN 1 .006” IN 2 .006” EX1 .008” EX2 .008”

Attachments

#23 ·
Well, I went down to the dealer to get replacement shims and they didn't have the two I needed for the #1 cylinder. Suzuki only has shims in increments of .05 mm so making fine adjustments isn't possible with those. The shim diameter our bike take is a 7.48 mm as verified by a set of calipers. Spending the better part of today scouring the internet I had found a few references for using Honda shims on some Suzuki atvs and dirt bikes so I looked a little further and found that a Honda CRF250R takes the same size shims only Honda's is available in .025 mm increments. So I put in an order for two 1.725 mm shims to get it as close to what I needed. Here's a link to the parts fishe for available shim sizes -> http://www.ashlandcycle.com/fiche_secti ... fveh=39350

So, once I get those in I'll mix up a batch of moly grease to put in the cam journals and re lubricate anything that's dry before reassembly. Torque values for reassembly as follows:

Cam Journal Holder bolts: 7.4lb/ft

#24 ·
I decided to tear into my (new to me) 2006 AN650 this last weekend. It has a little over 17,000 mi and the previous owner had no records of the tappet clearance check being done. Upon checking, I found the intake valve clearances to be all mid-range, however the exhaust clearances are on the low side (at .008). Question is: Do the clearances tend to open up as miles are added or close up? Will my .008 become smaller or larger over time?
I was happy to find I am within tolerance (just barely) and would like to get my scoot back together rather than order and wait for shims.
Thanks for you insight and comments.
Placervillebob

#25 ·
From my understanding the seats wear over time causing the clearance to tighten up. The only situations I could think of that would cause it to open on these engines would be the valve not closing fully, abnormal wear on the follower, or the cam lobes wearing down. Though as you may have read I was faced with a similar scenario and decided just to move the three exhaust that were on the end of the range to the middle to match the rest.

#26 ·
Thanks TechArtGuy.
If I want to change shims - how much more difficult is it from this point? I only need to remove the Exhaust cam. Would that require the special tool - Chain tensioner lock tool? After I remove the camshaft journal holder (for the exhaust side) can I simply slip the cam/gear assy out? Will there be problems with the timing chain upon re-installation with taking out only the exhaust side? I have CD service manual but it is rather sketchy as to instructions.
Thanks for your help.
Placervillebob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.