Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ignition switch recall issued for AN650 sold in Japan market. It is not clear if this effects years other than 2002, but to my knowledge the ignition switch was not changed over the course of the production run. This may also include ABS models.

Ironically, I had this part changed under warranty 6 months into ownership when I was left stranded in the mountains at night with no headlights after the switch had stuck in a position halfway between the point where it starts the engine and where it sits normally. Unfortunately, this point was where the switch cuts the lights to direct power to the starter motor... Thankfully a friend with HID lights guided us back to the campsite in safety.

Obviosuly I was not the only that had this part changed after having similar experiences. Hopefully, the new part will ensure that this does not happen again.

Has anyone in the US/UK experienced any sticking of the ignition switch?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
lycheed said:
Ignition switch recall issued for AN650 sold in Japan market. It is not clear if this effects years other than 2002, but to my knowledge the ignition switch was not changed over the course of the production run.
The recall is in effect here too.

The NHTSA reports that the recall is for "certain 2003 and 2004 Suzuki AN 400 and AN650 scooters."

One of our Canadian members had his switch melt down and fail.

Here's a thread where we discussed it:

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7374&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

And here are some great photos:

http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/album89

·
Registered
689 Posts
I have a 03 650 how can I find out if I have one of the bad ones.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
burg650 said:
As far as I know, all the '03s (and the '02s in the countries that have them) are affected. Only the early '04s are bad, but I don't know what serial-number range..

As soon as the replacement parts are "in the pipeline" we should start getting notices. In the mean time, since I've already had mine stick once, I being extra careful to turn the key hard when I'm getting ready to ride, and I sprayed a little WD-40 into the keyhole.

I'm also riding less at night, just in case.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Brian said:
burg650 said:
As far as I know, all the '03s (and the '02s in the countries that have them) are affected. Only the early '04s are bad, but I don't know what serial-number range..

As soon as the replacement parts are "in the pipeline" we should start getting notices. In the mean time, since I've already had mine stick once, I being extra careful to turn the key hard when I'm getting ready to ride, and I sprayed a little WD-40 into the keyhole.

I'm also riding less at night, just in case.
The numbers are:

1. For the 250: CJ43A100014 ----> CJ43A114145 (13,724 units)
2. For the 400: CK43A100015 ----> CK43A102497 (2,471 units)
3. For the 650: CP51A100019 ----> CP51A102645 (2,606 units)

This info comes from the Japanese Suzuki site (http://www.suzuki.co.jp/cpd/koho_j/recall/050823.htm), issued 8/23/2005.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Thanks for that PRico02 :)

But what do those numbers refer to - they bear no resemblance in format to my VIN Number. :scratch:

Are they referring to some number on the ignition assembly/module - looking at the website that you linked to - it looks as tho' they are referencing 'something or other' -but I am not sure - any Japanese speakers in the house? :?:

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
The numbers match the middle part of my vin to some point mine is
CP51A73________

Does that mean mine doesnt qualify. Are the numbers listed Japanese market or US market? Mine being an early 03 Canadian Model doesnt match.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
PRico02 said:
...The numbers are:

1. For the 250: CJ43A100014 ----> CJ43A114145 (13,724 units)
2. For the 400: CK43A100015 ----> CK43A102497 (2,471 units)
3. For the 650: CP51A100019 ----> CP51A102645 (2,606 units)

This info comes from the Japanese Suzuki site (http://www.suzuki.co.jp/cpd/koho_j/recall/050823.htm), issued 8/23/2005.
In the USA, Burgmans will have VINs beginning with "JS1..." For example, my '03's VIN is JS1CP51A332XXXXXX (the Xs filling in for my individual serial number, of course).

"JS1" refers to "Japan Suzuki Motorcycle," "CP51A" indentifies the model, the first "3" is a DOT VIN "Check Digit," the second "3" is for 2003, and the "2" is for Suzuki's Plant #2 where mine was assembled.

If I take only the last 6 digits of my 650's VIN, and compare it with the last 6 digits in the list provided by PRico02, mine does fall into the affected range.

·
Registered
195 Posts
"Ramblings of an old man" removed.

I guess in hindsight I should have kept my findings, conclusions and comments to myself.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brian et al,

Thanks for the input. Nice to know that we are all in this together. :wink:

Looking at the Suzuki website, it's interesting that in the same two year period, Suzuki sold approx 5000 AN400s & AN650s combined versus nearly 14,000 AN250s. That will bring a sign of relief at Suzuki's Head Office, as the average age of affected owners will be about 20 and they may forget all about this if the next addition to the AN250 line-up following on from the SS (which has almost replaced the Type S) has a speed sensitive amplifier built in and even more chrome...

I'll take my 650 in to Suzuki this weekend and shout at the engineers, citing instutional incompetance within Suzuki, and a doenright laziness as the route causes for the faulty part. Perhaps it will get me my 20,000km service done for free. Perhaps not. :cry:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
dero said:
...After quite a bit of fiddling and measuring I realised that Suzuki's explanation of the switch failure i.e. the switch not being turned on correctly and sitting half way - is hard to believe!...
That's not exactly what Suzuki said.

dero said:
...The problem is pretty simple, the 2 contacts that are meant to be bridged in the "ON" position are simply too far apart and poory aligned ...turn the ignition key back towards the "OFF" position a matter of only 1 or 2 degrees and the circuit was open. Just a simple knock or brush of the ignition key with the hand would be enough to move the switch contacts apart. ...
Yep; I think that's what Suzuki said, too.

From the recall notice:
Defect Summary:
On certain scooters, if the ignition switch is not fully turned from the 'OFF' to the 'ON' position, there may be unstable contact between the ignition switch contacts. This can cause arcing in the ignition switch.

Consequence Summary:
Heat from the arcing can melt the internal switch base plate. If the scooter is ridden in this condition, the ignition switch may fail. If this happens, the engine will stall, the lights will go out, and the operator may be unable to restart the scooter. This could result in a crash.
Note that it just said, "not fully turned" -- it didn't say anything about half-way.

I like your idea about using a relay; that's a much more workmanlike solution, IMO, than mounting copper strips on a chunk of plastic as Suzuki did. Let us know how it works, but until then -- good job!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts