Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hate to be dense :oops:, but i have read the f...g manual (chassis 9-11) and am still not clear (gin will do that! :) ) on which parts have to be removed to change a headlight bulb (sounds like a Blonde joke!:lol: ).
I assume that the "Front leg shield cover" has to be removed, but don't understand what is meant by "Hooked Part"???
Do you just pry...and if so where and how without breaking something?!
What else has to be removed to get to the bulbs???
Just some very basic "maintenance" that i would like to be able to do without having to pay $70/ Hr to the local Suzuki dealer (who by the way, knows nothing about the 650).
Hasta,
GinDrinker
:D

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Ok Gindrinker if you look up under the bike from the front rad area you will see a black splash guard quite high up from the front fender. Remove this splash guard and it will allow you enough room to do the job by feel.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You don't need to remove the leg shield. Remove the Handle Bar Covers then the Front Panel and you have plenty of room to reach the back of the Headlights. It sounds more complicated than it is. Unplug the light bulb, remove the rubber boot and unhook the catch. The hooked part is just a spring clip to hole the bulb in place.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you remove the front panel is the best way to acces the bulbs.But if you are patient you can replace the bulbs searching with your hand under the front panel.I do it several times.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks to all for your suggestions and explanations on this subject.
I hate to be anal :oops:, but I really would like to know how to remove the
"Front leg shield cover" for bulb replacement reasons and others??
I'm not sure how and where to pry without breaking something.:shock:
Is it necessary to remove other items first (windshield, etc...)?
And what is a "hooked part"?
Has anybody done this 'by the book" yet and with what results?
GinDrinker

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Merci Pirmil,
Les photos et les explications sont excellentes; je vais pouvoir changer les ampoules (au besoin) sans probleme.
J'aime beacoup ton pays Nantais et surtout La Baule-les-Pins et le Port du Pouliguen. :thumbup:
Vive les Bretons :!:
Gin-Gin,
GinDrinker

·
Registered
152 Posts
GinDrinker said:
Merci Pirmil,
Les photos et les explications sont excellentes; je vais pouvoir changer les ampoules (au besoin) sans probleme.
J'aime beacoup ton pays Nantais et surtout La Baule-les-Pins et le Port du Pouliguen. :thumbup:
Vive les Bretons :!:
Gin-Gin,
GinDrinker
Breizh o veva

Thank for the compliments.
Incredible, you know Brittany? This marvellous area ( I was born! ) An extraordinary Atlantic coast for the rides scooters, charged history, of legends, good wines (on the Loire River)... and and and STOP.
.. which has lost its independence for 4 centuries!

Au revoir
Pirmil

Merci pour le compliment.
Incroyable, tu connais la Bretagne ? Cette merveilleuse région où je suis né !
Une côte maritime extraordinaire pour les voyages en scooters, chargée d' histoires, de légendes, de bon vins (sur la Loire)...mais qui a perdu son indépendance il y a 4 siècles !
A bientôt par chez nous.
Pirmil

just information, Google in brezhoneg
http://www.google.com/intl/br/
:shock: :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Pirmil,
Your English is fine.
Thanks for including it, as well as French, for those of us who can't read the French part. I can understand a little French, as I lived in northern Quebec for 8 years as young lad.
Welcome to the Forum. I enjoyed looking at your links. Very educational.
Keep the info coming. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Headlight Modulator installation.

I recently installed a headlight modulator on my 650 burgman and the posts on this site along with the manual made it a breeze. I was afraid of breaking something when I popped the 2nd piece of the handlebar cover off, but the plastic is very strong. It took a really good yank to get it off. Just make sure the 2 plastic rivets are off first.

Thanks for the information, the front panel was the way to go!

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums scooterman55. Glad to have you join us.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here is the message I got confirming what modulator I needed. Taping was recommended per instructions, but after 4500 miles riding in the rain etc., it was so clean all I did was place a couple tie wraps to make sure the connections stayed secure. Next time I am under the front panel I will reaccess weather tape is really needed.

I am also very pleased with my brakelight modulator. I ride 36 miles 1 way in the dark, and traffic can be bad. This modulator fashes 3 times, stays on for 3.5 seconds, and then repeats the cycle. I still watch in my mirror at the stop lights, but they seem to give me a little more room now.

http://www.customdynamics.com/brake_light_modulator.htm

I hope this helps.
==============================
Hi Ron,

You will find the modulator that fits here http://www.comagination.com/modSuzuki.htm D115H4 model.

The modulator is a simple plug-in between the bulbs and their power connector which takes minutes to install. No wire splicing needed. There is directions included.
http://www.comagination.com

Comagination LLC
PO Box 41793
Mesa, AZ 85274-1793
United States
(480)461-6060 M-F 9-4 MST

·
Registered
138 Posts
I posted this note on another thread but you can purchase light bulbs for the scooter at an auto parts store much cheaper than the dealer. I just bought two 65/35 bulbs for $12.00 at Auto Zone.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have been concerned about a headlight bulb burn out as not sure about how to replace with all the usual tupperware removal etc

Anyway my right bulb blew yesterday.

Previous posts helped me decide not to go n from the rear especially as as manual (That came with bike) just mentioned a couple of basic things and with a diagram of rear of light cluster so not too helpful.

So went in from the front. Took upper splash guard off and used a light and mirror to check things out.

Then as usual with a lot of things on 650 just put my hand up and worked away slowly and carefully without being able to see what I was doing.

Pulled off light socket and lead, then rubber boot, then sussed out how to unclip wire bulb clip then withdrew bulb.

Went to a local Kawasaki dealer with bulb. Parts assistant looked at it and said did not have anything like that. Fortunately the owner was walking by and overheard conversation.

He took assembly and proceeded to demonstrate removal of bulb from
its plastic holder - All then became clear to the assistant who was then able to identify the bulb itself as an H4.
I think the left hand bulb must be different and it might be an three pronged H7 as it incorporates a dip and main beam whereas the right hand H4 bulb is a two pronged bulb, on mine anyway, and does not have a main beam.

So bought new bulb £4.95 after verifying old bulb had indeed blown.

Went home inserted the bulb in to plastic holder, making sure did not touch glass part of bulb, then reversed the procedure to instal the unit into headlight without seeing what I was doing.

Now I know how to do it I am not concerned about future replacements and will purchase a couple of spare bulbs in the knowledge either can be replaced in around five minutes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts