Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Tell us if you've had CVT issues with your AN650 (distance in miles)

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm asking AN650 owners to please participate.

I've made a poll where we can track AN650 CVT reliability a little better.

ALSO: Please post a little about your bike. Non failures are also helpful to put things into context. You can post again every year or so to update. Or just when failure happens.

CVT FAILURE = belt, stopper bolt, spline and shaft, bearing, belt or anything else that necessitated removal to repair.

I know this won't capture past failures that moved on, but we can start from here and maybe get some reliable figures.

I'll start.

2009, 9k miles, no CVT failure.

I ride aggressively in auto and power. Rarely manual. Mostly state highways and back roads.

I check the stopper bolt every oil change.

·
Premium Member
14,329 Posts
Belt broke at 80,596 miles, replaced belt and now up to 91,765 miles with no other CVT issues.

·
Premium Member
14,329 Posts
You might want to specify in you poll that the mileage is in miles not kilometers otherwise the results could be confusing.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Currently at 27,000 miles. Ride almost exclusively in auto mode and not overly aggressive,mostly steady speed highway miles. No sign of a problem. Changed stopper bolt at about 20,000 and check every 3000 miles with every oil change.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I got my dads 2007 650. Will hit 30k this week. No issues at all except a dirty air filter.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I know three 650 riders who do not read BUSA. One in the 60-70K range, two in the 40-50K range. No problems with any of them.

·
Registered
363 Posts
2008 with roughly 22,000 miles. Ride somewhat aggresively and always looking for curves in the road which are hard to find here in my part of Florida 8) . Change stopper bolt every other oil change. No CVT problem.
Had a 2006 before this and sold with 31000 miles on it. Never changed stopper bolt on that one and had no CVT problem.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Primary Spline failure around 28k miles, on a K3 bike.

Always used in Auto mode with no use of Power mode, I owned the bike for 2+ years, from 16k miles. I took the dealers offer for the bike as it was, more than 6 months later he's (still) repairing it to sell-on and has admitted he'd not do the same again, understanding more fully now the level of work involved (London, UK).

To avoid this reflecting unfairly on a bike that's clearly giving reliable service to many, we need to consider all those bikes with No CVT issues. The danger is prospective owners reading these reports and gaining an unfair impression.

·
Super Moderator
20,097 Posts
"03, 39K miles, never changed the stopper bolt.

2 up 95%, moderate riding.

No issues

·
Administrator
21,780 Posts
First one was a 2003, no CVT issues but put the wrong oil in the transmission, 5W20 in NOT OK in the transmission. Failed at 54K miles. Bike ran fine, just a screech that was louder with speed but not RPM.

Second one was a 2008, got to 19K mikes then CRASHED.

Third one is a 2008, am at about 28K miles, No problems YET.

Yes these type posts will scare everyone, without both sides reporting non-failures and failures so a ratio can be established. Of the 10,000's of these AN650 made from 2002 till now, what is the ratio of failures? Quite small I'd think. Not a biggie, unless its yours that failed.

So I am at 101,000 miles on three 650s with no CVT failures.

·
Registered
352 Posts
After reading about those who had a failed CVT, I've change my riding habits on my K9.

So with 6,000+ mi on my K9 and no CVT problems...
To lengthen life of CVT, I do the following:
1) No 'jack rabbit' starts
2) K9 has never been readlined or ridden hard.
3) I'm aware of speedometer error so at an indicated 80mph, I'm really doing about 72mph -so most of my riding is done at an actual speed in the 60-70mph. Also a great idea to not worrying about 'speed traps'.
4) My Honda SH150i is my everyday bike in overcrowded L.A., with bumper-to-bumper traffic, lane splitting, stop-and-go on short commutes.
5) I don't ride my K9 in touring conditions especially in 90+F degree. I time my touring to be in either the Spring or Fall when temperatures
are in the mile 70+F degrees.
6) I'm running synthetic oil and all servicing done by the dealership on the K9 schedule.
7) I only use the manual over-drive when I have a large stretch of highway 100+ miles and even then my manual shifting is very easy so I get to the OD/6th gear; otherwise, I never us the manual transmission paddles and I never use the 'power mode'. I've only taken the K9 on two 300+mi trips and one 400+ mi trips.

I hope to get at least 30,000mi on my K9. If the CVT goes out before then, I will not get another Burgman 650. In another post I mention that the cruiser class touring bikes such as the Suzuki C50T(800cc) and the Kawasaki Vulcan(900cc) Classic LT have a larger displacement and both cost less than the Suzuki K9 Exec. I have nothing against riding/straddling a motorcycle and using the clutch so if my CVT were to fail, I don't have the patience to tear down the bike to get to the CVT nor do I want to pay someone to tear apart my K9 just to get to the CVT.

If my CVT were to break down, I would just buy a real motorcycle and not another Burgman 650 :idea:
(Yes, I will post if & when my CVT breaks down.)

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
On the '07, the CVT melted down at 42K miles. This was before we had heard of a stopper bolt, and retrospect suggests that was the cause.

It's mostly retired now. At about 82K it started having a pulley position switch problem. I pulled it out and messed with it but didn't find any binding problem, so I put it back and ordered another switch. But it never stuck again, so I have a new in-the-bag switch I don't need, oh well.

At 92K the clutch started slipping, that's when I retired it. The '08 now has 16K and no hint of problem.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Robin, unfortunately, the poll only allows for 10 choices. I wish I had room for a few other fields.

"I previously owned one that failed - but I have another one now..." Would be one I'd add.

Since you only had a limited way to vote, which way did you vote, if I might ask?

I ask because as of right now, there is NO failure in the 25-50 range (yours).

·
Registered
White Burgman 650 standard
3,157 Posts
2005 650 - my previous ride - at about 27,000 miles now with current owner no issues. Did start to burn a bit of oil if ridden hard which I did.

2009 Exec 17,000 miles - riding a bit less hard - not for any particular reason. Will wind it out from the start hard at times for fun.

NO issues with either beyond a bad battery on the 2005 and annoying drop in tire pressure on both which I'm currently trying to cure or at least reduce with RideOn in the tires and a good TPMS.

250 lb and carry about another 20 regularly in gear and computer. Ride 9 months of the year and 4-5 times per week.

Semi-synthetic in both machines changed perhaps a bit longer than recommended.
Best all around machine I've owned in 43 years of riding - very high confidence in it with the exception of maintaining tire pressure which I think ends in shorter tire life.

·
Premium Member
14,329 Posts
rustynail said:
Robin, unfortunately, the poll only allows for 10 choices. I wish I had room for a few other fields.

"I previously owned one that failed - but I have another one now..." Would be one I'd add.

Since you only had a limited way to vote, which way did you vote, if I might ask?

I ask her about that and she said she marked 0-25K no issues for her new bike.

I'm pretty sure you can set polls up so that people can select more than one entry at a time. I don't know is you can go back and change that once the poll is up and running though.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
25,000 plus, 5 day a week commute in Atlanta traffic for about 4 years.
Coldest about 13 F and hot about 105 F., Rain or shine, snow or thunder storm, made no difference.
easy rider using auto only. One or two 600 mile trips with a few miles at sustained 90 plus.
use 5w40 full synthetic, change at 3600 with filter.
changed stopper bolt but really was not needed. Changed cvt filter, really not needed.
runs great

now, mostly 100 to 200 mile day trips to the N GA mountains. :cheers:

love it

Reactions: wolfrider

·
Administrator
21,780 Posts
Robin, you should vote the bike that gave you the longest miles. In my case I have had 3 but voted the one that I had 54,000 miles on. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Buffalo said:
rustynail said:

I ask her about that and she said she marked 0-25K no issues for her new bike.

I'm pretty sure you can set polls up so that people can select more than one entry at a time. I don't know is you can go back and change that once the poll is up and running though.
Yep, you are right. I intentionally made it one choice because I didn't want a bunch of people clicking on a choice for their friend or just someone they know - after they voted their bike. I'm wary of double-counted failures with a more open poll.

I think this is the best we can do given the limitations of the forum.

Can a mod add a vote to a poll? It may be that's the only way to get a double vote.

·
Premium Member
14,329 Posts
rustynail said:
Yep, you are right. I intentionally made it one choice because I didn't want a bunch of people clicking on a choice for their friend or just someone they know - after they voted their bike. I'm wary of double-counted failures with a more open poll.

I think this is the best we can do given the limitations of the forum.

Can a mod add a vote to a poll? It may be that's the only way to get a double vote.
Well if it doesn't allow for folks that have or have had more than one 650 to put both in the poll then you will end up having to read their comments and adjust the count based on them.

I'm like Dave, this is my second 650. The first one was totaled with about 18,000 miles on it so I could have marked 0-25K with no problems for it.

1 - 20 of 148 Posts