Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just signed up with the Group! My name's Leon, residing in East Sussex and I have a Suzuki 400 an Y (2001) have not had it long as it's a replacement for the Sv I had which had to go. Wanted something more practical for round the city.

I've had to do a fair bit of work to it already however there is a severe Clattering noise coming from it, thought it was the variator/clutch/belt rollers, so had all that changed but nope! Sound is still there, well was until yesterday when she cut out on me while riding, wheeled it to a safe location, tried to get it started.. nothing! Ignition was fine at this point lights worked ect but just wouldn't turn over.
locked up the bike left it overnight and came back in the morning.
tried to start her and a little bit of effort but she fired up. Idled ok for 10 minutes ,apart from the loud Clattering noise. Turned it off.
left it for about 30 mins and then tried to start it again, Battery seemed like it had no energy at all ' typical drained battery sound.... Flat.
it might be the obvious but with the noise and now this happening, just wondering if you may have some inclination with this kind of situation.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Have not had the bike for Long maybe a couple of months, has service history, 27,000 miles on the clock.
Looks like it has an oil leak not sure where it's coming from, maybe a gasket needs replacing, still have to inspect the bike thoroughly. however no I haven't rode it without oil at any time since I've acquired the bike,
the loud clattering noise has got progressively louder in the last week, to be honest I haven't really rode the bike alot in the last two months since purchase. I have changed the belt rollers and the clutch assembly ( clutch had no meat on it at all,the pads were down to the metal. Have not checked the stator yet but surely wouldn't be what is making that noise would it? Any help/advice with similar issues would be greatly appreciated.
Any questions about the bike I will answer to the best of my knowledge
Thank you

·
Registered
940 Posts
Could be a number of things. Worst case PO let it run low on oil and the big end is shot which means engine rebuild. Cam chain tensioner may have failed causing bent valves so loss of compression. Suggest you investigate the top end first and dont try and start it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Could be loose baffles in the muffler. They make a loud metallic clanging noise. Burgmans are notorious for mufflers rusting apart on the inside, leaving bits of metal to bounce around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts