Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was a milestone in my life. :p I picked up my new AN400K4 that had 0 (zero) miles on the odometer! A short briefing by the salesman and a free tank of gas, and off I went through the streets of downtown Honolulu, then the freeway, circled Diamond Head to look at the ocean, and parked at my home 11 miles later.

This is a dream machine. Very quiet, immediate throttle response, unlike the 50cc Moskito SX I have been riding for the last 13 months. I was warned to keep it below 4000 RPM for the first 100 miles. Impossible. Just normal acceleration takes you up to 5000+ as does freeway speed. But having read all the post in the "Newbie" category about engine break-in procedures used in the "real world," I wasn't worried about the max RPM as much as I was in trying to vary the RPM constantly and watching engine temperature. The salesman made a big deal about the tires being new and slippery, so I was very conservative in the cornering. Apparently, you need to rub off some rubber to give the tire some "tooth" to make for better adhesion to the road surface. Sounds like credible advice to me.

The handling is very positive (accurate). My small scooter had a vague sense of direction to it when cornering, but I finally got used to it, but the "400" is solid. It tracks well and can stay straight even down to low speeds while coming to a stop. With the low center of gravity, it doesn't try to fall over if you happen to stop in a tilt. I never had any feelings of insecurity, anxiety, or lack of self-confidence from the time I pulled out of the dealer's driveway. I have weak legs (60% normal strength from a spinal chord injury) so was very concerned about being able to handle a 400 lbs bike. I worry no more. :lol:

The acceleration is very subtle, yet before you know it, you're going like a rocket and have to back off the throttle. There being virtually no exhaust noise, it's easy to forget to keep from going over the speed limit. I found the wind buffeting in my face over the windshield very nice on this sunny day but wonder what it's going to be like in rain. I have a face shield on order for my 3/4 helmet, so maybe that will make this a non-issue.

Unfortunately, I'm riding with a learner's permit so can't take the wife for a spin yet, but I let her sit on the back on the driveway. She knows that she has to compete with a mistress lurking around our household now. I had to buy her a piano to get the 400. Now she wants a new refrigerator, and I'm negotiating for a sidecar. :twisted:

So much for idle prattle. I love this machine and have found it to be as much as I expected. More will come, I'm sure. Now I have to give her a distinctive name. Suggestions will be gladly received.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I wasn't worried about the max RPM as much as I was in trying to vary the RPM constantly and watching engine temperature.
Be careful on relying on temp. gauge to tell you if the engine is running hot.

Varying the engine speed and load will alter hot spots on load areas of the engine / trans / final drive, and will not show on engine water temp. gauge.

As you mentioned it is (unless you what to get killed) impossible to keep engine under 4,000rpm, my own 250 does allmost 5,000rpm @ 60kph

Try to bed the rings inn is the main concern first 100klms will determine ring life.

I usually take off (not much choice on 250) 3/4 throttle at least and get to speed then back off to try to put load on rings

Bit hard to do the same on when backing off as it goes straight to high ratio in CVT

Anyway you will as I do enjoy your scootering

Rgds Greg ...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts