Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks, good to know. I have 2004 Burg 400, will that manual be wrong also? May I ask how you came upon this info?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
The service manual incorrectly states that you put 10-40 in the rear gear, when it should have said 90W gear oil.

I got a notice in the mail.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys,
Look at the new versus old above. It essentially removes the parts about
putting 90 weight in the final drive.

According to the above, I should put 10-40 into the final instead.

I received this letter last week. It's in a generic form with my address
on the envelope on a label.

Yes, the info states this applies to K3's and K4's.

Now, if I consider what Ted is saying versus what they've just told me to
do with the owners manual, I'm lost.
But, if I ignore the confusion and drain the final oil out and smell a pungent
petroleum smell when a highly viscous lube dribbles out, that's 90 weight.

It's time for me to call Brea, California for clarification.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Ajwood, you're right in that the correction does not really clarify matters like it should. What it does is paste over the original "label" in the manual that is telling you what oil you should use in the crankcase, with the bar charts showing you can use various weights, and beneath that is the bit about the gear oil; implying that the same weights are used in the gear case.

The new lable simply deletes the bottom part that talks about gear oil.
Your handbook manual correctly states that 90W gear oil is correct. No harm done, I think, if you've had 10-40 in yours for awhile. I did this same thing once early on with my Reflex...do damage. Actually, 90W is not all that thick. I'm using a 75-90 synthetic....cause I like synthetic and thats all I could find. Again, thats what I used in the Reflex for couple of years.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got off the phone with Suzuki (714-572-1490)...

The correction information is accurate they confidently tell me.
He said that the 650 requires 90wt and the engineers thought the 400
would too but it hasn't worked out that way for the 400.

So, without picking his brain about petroleum viscosity, chamber temperatures
and fluid dynamics, I took his word for it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
ajwood said:
Just got off the phone with Suzuki (714-572-1490)...

The correction information is accurate they confidently tell me.
He said that the 650 requires 90wt and the engineers thought the 400
would too but it hasn't worked out that way for the 400.

So, without picking his brain about petroleum viscosity, chamber temperatures and fluid dynamics, I took his word for it.
What hasn't worked out what way for the 400 :?:

Are you saying that the engineer told you that the 400 should not use 90w for final gear oil but should use 10-40w motor oil for final gear oil? That does not seem to make much sense. What comes out of the case when it's drained? Does it have the olfactory twang of high detergent gear oil?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stormsteed said:
...now you are saying Suzuki said it should be 90wt, as the manual originally said?
Go with the corrected label. That's 10-40 in the final gear, folks.

I repeat, 10-40.

That will be all. At ease men.

·
Registered
733 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Ajwood and Others: My apologies for the confusion, my brain is too saturated with Honda Helix and Reflex data.

I simply did not see that the new correction sticker CLEARLY STATES on the top two lines that the info is for both the Engine oil AND GEAR OIL. And 10-40 is what they now call for, or other oils up to 20-50.

Therefore, the Owners Manual (page 9) was printed incorrectly calling for 90.

Also of interest: My SERVICE MANUAL, printed Feb '03, states on page
1-5 that the final gear oil should be hypoid SAE 90, then CONTRADICTS itself on page 2-11 by saying Final Gear Oil should be 10-40.

Point here is, depending on how your service mechanic read the manual, you may well have either 90 or 10-40 installed.

I think they will tell you that the 90 will not have harmed anything, particularly for those running in hot climates. As for me, when its convenient, I will switch to Amsoil 20-50.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts