Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Getting FI light and intermittent starting issues

5K views 42 replies 14 participants last post by  Passport1 
#1 ·
Got my second covid vaccine today. Feel fine.

Will anybody explain why my Burgie is throwing the dreaded FI code? Starts (cranks) intermittently even after replacing the starter motor. That was a royal PIA. Save this '07 Burgman before I trade it for a V-Strom please.

#2 ·
#5 ·
Got my second covid vaccine today. Feel fine. Will anybody explain why my Burgie is throwing the dreaded FI code? Starts (cranks) intermittently even after replacing the starter motor. That was a royal PIA. Save this '07 Burgman before I trade it for a V-Strom please.
Maybe your Burgman is feeling the effects of your second vaccine?

#9 ·

Will anybody explain why my Burgie is throwing the dreaded FI code? Starts (cranks) intermittently even after replacing the starter motor. That was a royal PIA. Save this '07 Burgman before I trade it for a V-Strom please.
Your description is a little vague can you be a bit more specific. FI code what code are you getting would be a good start. Good battery? Serviced? You get my gist

#10 ·
Here's a breakdown on my issue;
'07 AN400, 16K miles, second owner since 1.4K miles
previous maintenance, routine oil changes, tires, battery, brake fluid change, rear axle oil
shell gas only

repairs;
1.replaced starter switch which failed about 2K miles ago
2.recently bike won't start (no crank). Hear a clicking sound somewhere under dash right side. With multiple attempts engine will catch and crank.
3.Changed starter motor yesterday, charged battery
4. Today started once, won't restart

I have a shop manual but I'm moving and it is packed away in a storage shed of boxes which look like the final scene in Indiana Jones movie so no help there.

My suspicion is that, 1. there is a starter relay which is powered but not connecting to the starter
2. the FI code could be the result of disconnecting the wiring harness to remove the airbox filter housing

oh, the scooter is blue 🛵

#11 ·
welp, there's yer problem, you gonna hafta paint it! that clicking is the starter contactor, and like all the contactors it clicks because it's not getting sufficien amperage, a loose connection, bad switch contact, etc or even a weak battery VOLTAGE , (not amperage) time to dig out some tools and start chasing wires and cussi,, uh using expansive vocabulary, ther are good resources here for where to go and how to get there chasing wires. and the battery connections are the first place to look, corrosion can do it, a new battery has a shiny battery post, it's a lacquer coating put on to keep it from turning black before it gets sold, that coating must be removed when a new battery is installed or it will just cook into a gooey mess that causes the battery not to charge eventually. (you may know this but someone else reading it may not)

#13 ·
Update #1

After a sufficient battery charge the scooter starts and runs appropriately. I ran it up and down my street at WOT and it misses badly. Throttle response seems ok. It only has just above empty on the gas gage and hasn't been run since last fall. Ran fine (except for starter issue) when parked. Wondering if gas has water in it.

How to get past the generic 'FI' code and get precise code?

Thank you for your sage advice. (y)

#15 ·
I moved this thread to the 650 page as I did not know what bike it was. I am moving it to the correct 400 page.

#27 ·
Update #2
Code was C14 TPS error.
Seems I had swapped two of the electrical connectors wrong.

Runs fine now. Next project is changing the drive belt. I heard they are worn at 16K miles.
Awesome you got it figured out. I spent 40 years in the IT field and whenever I worked with wires I wasn't familiar with I used different color pics of tape. I have a roll that has 7 different colors. I am not being smarter than you because I muffed up plenty of times before I found that awesome tool of tape. Very interesting post thanks for sharing your experience. Ride safe but fast as your comfortable and experienced to do so. Watch out for smokey

#19 ·
Suzuki should never use the same size and shape connector anywhere near each other. There should have been a keyed tab to lock out miss-match connecting like above.

Reactions: Passport1
#26 ·

The problem is in the throttle body. Take the 90 degree rubber hose off. Turn the key on and watch the butterfly. I have sprayed cleaner on the shaft and blew it off. You can also try adjusting it . There is a torx fitting to loosen it up. Also on youtube mitches schooter repair has a video

#30 ·

There's a You tube guy, Mitchscooter or something like that. He shows how y to fix that yourself. He's worth a watch.

#33 ·
No start update #3,

Well after replacing the starter motor (not needed) two Chinese starter relays and a long battery charge the Burgie came to life. Rode it to a shop for an annual inspection. Ran fine but on the way home it hiccupped and quit. Luckily I was almost home and a friend came with this trailer and we hauled it back. It cranks fine and has no FI code. Gas is fine. It will sometimes catch and run then quit.

Give me a break and let it be something simple. Its blue. 🛵

#35 ·
Ok Burgie boffins riddle me this;
'07 400 w/16000 flawless miles, fixed the no crank situation w/new starter motor and new relay. Ran normally for about 20 miles and quit on the way home. Now it will start, idle for about 30 seconds and die. Will restart and idle, die.

NO code. C00 only. I added a couple of ounces of fuel treatment. No change. Battery is not new but has a full charge.

What next? btw, scooter is the fastest color 🛵

#36 ·
Ok, you know my mind is always on GAS,,, when there's no code. Try this and see if it continues to run. Pop it up on center stand, hold throttle wide open , crank er up, then back down on throttle slowly (sorta) . Also what is idle rpm and does it idle rough or smooth and then die?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.